Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: IPRC TEAM & COACH

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I wonder which jurisdiction she is listening to this week...
    I have a feeling it might be the jurisdiction known as Moore park

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...d-ng-s-1826769
    Billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest insists he will go ahead with his Indo Pacific Rugby Championship even if Rugby Australia don't approve it.
    Forrest has been locked in negotiations with RA for months now, with the major sticking point being around whether players who feature in the IPRC will also be eligible for Wallabies selection.
    Forrest has declared his six-team IPRC competition will go ahead one way or the other, with the start date still slated for 2019.
    "We'll either get Rugby Australia's approval, or we won't. But either way we're going to roll, and we'll be playing internationally," Forrest said.
    "This is a tournament that is waiting to happen, and will be fantastic for Australia.
    "We've had something like 250 enquiries from elite players around the world.
    "We've had endorsement from Rugby Asia. We know that World Rugby is completely on side.
    "I think we get closer every day (with getting Rugby Australia's tick).
    "I think if you have a legitimate love for the game and a legitimate interest in what's best for the players, you'll back the new tournament."
    Forrest's deep pockets could become RA's way out of its current financial mess.
    And the mining magnate showed he is more than just talk by launching a new junior rugby development program in WA on Wednesday.
    The program - dubbed the RugbyRoos - will foster future rugby talent by providing fun clinics for kids aged between four and 12 to learn the core skills of the game.
    As part of the new program, all future elite rugby players contracted to play in WA will devote 350 hours of their personal time each year to community programs like RugbyRoos.

Homeowners Are In For A Big Surprise
    Loan Dolphin Sponsored
    Forrest wants to eventually expand the RugbyRoos all over Australia to help strengthen the game.
    "Rugby starts at the grass roots, and finishes with elite. Not the other way around," Forrest said.
    "Rugby has been struggling a bit in the eastern states at a community level. The RugbyRoos is a great way to build the community spirit through rugby in the eastern states.
    "RugbyRoos is a long-term vision."
    Forrest has already resurrected the Future Force Foundation, and he's committed funds to women's rugby as well.
    New Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle says the door is open for the Western Force to return to Super Rugby in 2021 after the current broadcast deal expires.
    But Forrest wants to see the Force back in action before then in his IPRC competition.
    Force players Marcel Brache and Peter Grant have reportedly signed with RugbyWA to lead the side in the National Rugby Championship.
    Hopefully Twiggy will hold off on funding Rugby Roos in the eastern states until they come to the party with endorsing the IPRC. That will really piss the ERA off if our Juniors are receiving all the extra funding from Twiggy that NSW & QLD are missing out on.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    If he goes ahead what about the IRB I thought they said unless the useless Rats arse were behind the IPRC then it's a no go..

vCash
    Is it possible for World Rugby to reprimand or penalize any of the other nations interested in the IRPC if Twiggy does end up going down the Rebel competition route?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Is it possible for World Rugby to reprimand or penalize any of the other nations interested in the IRPC if Twiggy does end up going down the Rebel competition route?
    They might not be able to stop them doing it but they could disaffiliate them which would have flow on effects with their governments, existing competitions, etc.

vCash
    IRB Said without Rat's Arse endorsement they wouldn't endorse it, but that doesn't necessarily slam the door.

Twiggy might just get pissed off enough to run it as a Rebel League, that is the nuclear option, but it could hardly be characterised as anything other than a retaliatory strike.

the IRB endorsement is most likely tied to the "Home Union" for the competition, If Twiggy is looking to host it as an Australian league that other nations compete in then he would need RA approval to do so. The game probably changes if he gains the approval of the Hong Kong Union to run it as a Hong Kong league that a West Australian team competes in. In that instance I would assume that RA would need to endorse the team for it to play in a league that is ties to the IRB.

If this is the way it goes, I can't see any downside for Twiggy, RA has already given in-principle agreement to the Force participating in IPRC, their only apparent complaint is the supposed massive player drain from Super Rugby. therefore they've binned any prospect of Wallaby Eligibility etc. If the players choose to play IPRC, it's no different from playing in Europe, however they're closer to home, playing in a friendlier timezone and still unable to play for the Wallabies. There's plenty of good young players already making that decision in the prime of their careers so that's not going to hurt that much.

The last Option is to set up the whole thing as an overseas comp. Have a Western Force, but don't headquarter either the comp or the team in Perth. By far the least preferable, but probably the path of least resistance. RA would basically have no legal leg to stand on if the Western Force play out of Denpasar. Twiggy only needs to negotiate with friendly unions and governments who will be gaining tourism dollars, so the setup would happen in no time (comparatively)
    The downside would be no home games in Perth and limited chances of getting one, since RA would need to endorse it. If Twiggy is forced to go that way, I'd suggest the relationship would be.......strained. Not sure how much impact a State Government who could see potential tourism dollars and support for the game scoring them political points could have, but I'd expect we'll only be watching them on Ali Baba Sport channel (which would out rate Foxtel for sports broadcasting in WA since nobody gets Fox for the Footy!)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure it was just by accident but would you mind not using uppercase R rebel in this case? It can be confusing and may suggest Melbourne have something to do with the IPRC.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ..Twiggy might just get pissed off enough to run it as a Rebel League, ...
    Same.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    They might not be able to stop them doing it but they could disaffiliate them which would have flow on effects with their governments, existing competitions, etc.
    Well that's what I mean by reprimand/penalize.

Some nations may back away from the table if World Rugby starts throwing threats around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I'm sure it was just by accident but would you mind not using uppercase R rebel in this case? It can be confusing and may suggest Melbourne have something to do with the IPRC.

Same.
    Dealing with the big issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Name:  grammar.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  7.1 KB

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Some nations may back away from the table if World Rugby starts throwing threats around.
    Or they just set each team up as an independent company. They do lots of good work on rugby development, become a sponsor of the local Union, some of the local (amateur) union members might even work for them as a day job, but the same organisation...absolutely not, heaven forfend, honestly guv!

The sport ran for a century as shamateurs. I'm sure they could manage it again.

vCash
    Potential backers of Asian franchises might be wary of a rebel league if they have existing business relationships with governments and/or unions too (e.g. Jack Ma to the tune of US$100 million since that's a name people like to throw around on here).

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by F Man View Post
    Dealing with the big issues.
    Name:  grammar.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  7.1 KB
    Name:  1218coverlarge.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  71.0 KB

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

Certainly that's one of the risks of a small r rebel league, however this being the expensive option I don't think it's going to be the preferred pathway.

I would guess, if they went that way, they would cover any financial loss the unions might suffer, that sort of stuff. Along with setting up rebel reffing panels and all the other infrastructure, is what would make it so expensive.

I personally ama fan of just getting Hong Kong rugby to endorse it to the IRB and then 90% of the problems disappear.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If they were going to do that, they should have thought things through more and done it first time around. Wouldn't fly now...would just be an obvious workaround.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast