Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Perth bids for Australian leg of World Rugby Sevens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    What would happen if a Western Australian-based player, perhaps assisted with WA-sourced funding, decided to take Rugby Australia to court over this discriminatory selection policy curtailing his potential career earnings?

I dunno if this action could be viable for potential overseas-based Australians playing in a future IPRC but, for a player based in Australia and registered under the RA umbrella of administration, it might.

As far as I was aware, the selection policy in the past did not specify "Super Rugby", only that a player had to be registered and playing in Australia. In other words, he could be selected from NRC, Shute or whatever local comp (even if in most cases it was not likely).

Has the wording of the selection policy changed or is it being wrongly reported?
    Certainly players have been selected for tours based on their NRC form (Izaia Perese and Liam Wright, and arguably Jordan Uelese). So if you can pick based on NRC form (Liam Wright hasn't set foot on a pitch in Super Rugby, I believe) then why not the IPRC?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    I just can't see the logic behind wanting to bring the 7s to Optus Stadium. The WA government will be paying top dollar for hosting rights. The stadium holds 60 000. Over 3 days thats 180 000 tickets that need selling, not to mention the corporate box prices. Attendance per day would be at maximum 15 000 or 45 000 over 3 days. 180 000 mnus 45 000 is 135 000 tickets unsold. (Thats being generous too i think). So its a huge loss maker financially for the government $5 million in hosting fees plus 135 000 unsold tickets at an average of $30 per seat equals just over $4 million in lost ticket sales. Thats already $8-9 million down the drain before a ball is kicked.
    Obviously losing that kind of money is considered a great financial result for the numpties at Rats Arse but its their stinker of an event, they can lose their own money hosting it. We should be steering well clear of it. The lack of a WA team in the "National" 7s competitions is another matter, but one that needs to be rectified.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    Great point re playing in Australia and not "Super Rugby". RA are clearly worried about player drain to this league.
    They won't like Dan Carter coming out and saying that he would be interested in getting involved.

http://m.scmp.com/sport/rugby/fifteens/article/2131430/id-consider-playing-hong-kong-andrew-forrests-indo-pacific

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    I just can't see the logic behind wanting to bring the 7s to Optus Stadium.
    With it's abundance of drinking and outdoor areas, which are a must for a tournament like that, the stadium is actually perfectly set up for sevens - if it wasn't located in a city where they'd already completely alienated the entire rugby community. Prepare for a tournament where the players will be able to talk to each spectator personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    The lack of a WA team in the "National" 7s competitions is another matter, but one that needs to be rectified.
    It was the women's team that was missing but, yeah, Alison said she'd be passing that information on at the meeting today.

Apprentice
    vCash

Allow 20% selections from IPRC!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    What would happen if a Western Australian-based player, perhaps assisted with WA-sourced funding, decided to take Rugby Australia to court over this discriminatory selection policy curtailing his potential career earnings?

I dunno if this action could be viable for potential overseas-based Australians playing in a future IPRC but, for a player based in Australia and registered under the RA umbrella of administration, it might.

As far as I was aware, the selection policy in the past did not specify "Super Rugby", only that a player had to be registered and playing in Australia. In other words, he could be selected from NRC, Shute or whatever local comp (even if in most cases it was not likely).

Has the wording of the selection policy changed or is it being wrongly reported?
    Yeah, I like your thinking too Kiap.... which maybe brings back in to play my thought bubble from early Nov in this forum:

"How about an initial RULE (not an 'Agreement', we're wise to them NOW!) at startup of IPRC that allows up to 20% of any Wabblies squad (still can't bring myself to use the official 'Walla...' word we used to like, for the foreseeable!) to come from the IPRC.

Round it up, so, for a 23-man squad, up to 5 can come from IPRC (all 5 can be on field at same time, of course, if performance warrants).

How can that NOT satisfy all parties - still means that at least 80% of 'selections' need to be trotting round in Superduper Ratby, but if you're good enough, you can still get a berth from IPRC."

Win-win?

Wouldn't that satisfy all, & keep the legal eagles at bay?

Either way - get the eligibility sorted Raelene!

It's no coincidence that Enemy starts with an 'E' - secession's looking good!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UkCol View Post
    Wouldn't that satisfy all, & keep the legal eagles at bay?
    No, RA would be upset, because that means IPRC will run and they're doing everything they can to shoot it on takeoff.

IF Twiggy and Jack Ma combine their kids pocket money they could buy Rugby Australia ten times over and still have change, RA don't want this comp in any form!

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    No, RA would be upset, because that means IPRC will run and they're doing everything they can to shoot it on takeoff.

IF Twiggy and Jack Ma combine their kids pocket money they could buy Rugby Australia ten times over and still have change, RA don't want this comp in any form!
    Yep, I'm sure you're right Gigs.... but, wouldn't this bargaining 'concession' by us on the good side of the Nullarbor blow their cover?

Why could they object to it (we wouldn't be 'stealing' their comp or much of their cattle at all)?

What other objections do they still have (&, are any 'legitimate')?

Surely, Wayne Smith & Nick Taylor & Ollie Peterson & Alan Jones & Senator Linda could have a field day with this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's no coincidence that Enemy starts with an 'E' - secession's looking good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3