Thread: Google Mail

vCash

Google Mail

So I decided to use G Mail years ago to save having to notify stacks of people and businesses every time I changed ISP - which has only averaged every 5 years anyhoo. Not too many concerns but we are off overseas next week - as we often are and today I noticed that all our flights and hotel bookings are in my calendar. I know I can stop this in calendar settings. But in the details it even lists the source E mails the data was extracted from.

What's the general opinion on whether this snooping is an identity threat and is G Mail itself a threat,? I can't see any settings in Google/G Mail/Chrome to block this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    in calendar you can uncheck a box that says "add automatically" in a section called "events from Gmail"

vCash
    mind you that is just stopping it being viewed and not stopping it from accessing your emai

vCash
    Google will suck all the possible data from your Internet use anyway. You have approved this through using their products (by clicking agree on their interminably long usage agreements)

At this stage your only real option is to give up the Internet.

Is it a threat?...possibly, do you have a lot to hide?

Can you stop it...unlikely.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Good way to check Clyne's emails

vCash
    Thanks mate. Confirmed what I thought. I assume it only becomes a problem if your G Mail or Google account is hacked or a device is nicked.

Nothing to hide ( well apart from my cross dressing and fishnet stockings fetish I suppose). Just seems a little off to publish that you are away from home for a few weeks and you didn't choose that knowingly.

OTOH I suppose it makes things convenient to go to the calendar and link easily if there are any hiccups.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Google will suck all the possible data from your Internet use anyway. You have approved this through using their products (by clicking agree on their interminably long usage agreements)

At this stage your only real option is to give up the Internet.

Is it a threat?...possibly, do you have a lot to hide?

Can you stop it...unlikely.
    TOR or at least Mozilla for surfing. Get safemail and convince everyone else to as well. Use signal instead of WhatsApp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydubs View Post
    TOR or at least Mozilla for surfing. Get safemail and convince everyone else to as well. Use signal instead of WhatsApp.
    Yeah there is the "off grid" option, but I own an Android phone. I'm not naive enough to think the even tor and safe mail will help a lot when the os they're running on has Google roots. And I really don't think switching to Apple or Microsoft will be a whole lot better

C'mon the

vCash
    I’m just as surprised as everyone that Shasta isnt using smoke signals anymore.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah there is the "off grid" option, but I own an Android phone. I'm not naive enough to think the even tor and safe mail will help a lot when the os they're running on has Google roots. And I really don't think switching to Apple or Microsoft will be a whole lot better
    Yeah I'm also android. So they know exactly where I am when 24/7, which is probably not a good thing. Because if you run 'off grid' stuff they probably think you've something to hide, as basic privacy is considered dead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I’m just as surprised as everyone that Shasta isnt using smoke signals anymore.
    Get back in ya box! 😁

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nothing to hide (well apart from my cross dressing and fishnet stockings fetish I suppose)..
    Pretty standard stuff

Got the same surprise the first time I looked in my calendar and saw all my holiday flight details populated without me inputting them...

Re security with Gmail and it's cloud products. It's a no brainer to use their 2 step authentication for added security https://www.google.com.au/landing/2step/