Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NSW Club Rugby News for 2018

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

NSW Club Rugby News for 2018

Gday all.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years.

I thought I might drop in and share some information about what has come out of NSWRU and SubbiesRU in the last month or so. You probably wont find it interesting.

Subbies Rugby Announced the fee structure for Clubs in 2018.

$2000 per team for Insurance
    $1000 per team for Registration
    $1000 per team for Rugby Australia Levy
    $360 per team for NSWRU Levy.
    If you add to this the costs for Jerseys, Shorts, Socks, Physio, Training kit, Ground Fees. Club Rugby in Sydney has become a very expensive sport.

The other interesting piece of news that has come out in the last day or so is the ridiculously strong rumor that Shute Shield club Penrith Emus have been kicked out of Shute Shield.

This follows years of Club Mismanagement, In Fighting and rumors of missappropriation of sponsors money over a 10+ year period - including the assault on a Club Committee member by a group of players. A mass walkout by committee members and a lack of any on field success for over 2 decades including one day in 2015 when Eastwood beat Penrith by 454 - 0 over 4 grades. First Grade 129-0, second grade 125-0, third grade 136-0, and fourths 64-0.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    So the ARU levy has risen from $775 to $1,000 per year, and that's per grade?
    That means a club with two grades will have to find nearly 9 grand before letting the boys out onto the park, and that's without kit, ground costs, physio etc.

Annual player subs will probably be around $300 (senior player) - at least, that's what Chatswood's looks like being in 2018.

vCash
    Exile and FT see my response to the Waratahs on the Force pigs article where I highlighted their inaction over financial mismanagement from the RA over throwing the millions at the Rebels (in a previous email I said to them that their officers had picked the wrong target in the Force) and having a bloated full time staff count all money that should be going to the grassroots. They only shifted a pathetic 1-1.6 million to the grassroots. Country clubs particularly in New England who really low player numbers (shouldn't be that way) are going to find it tough to stay afloat with huge travel costs and in a lot of areas they don't have the luxury of schools luring players to the game.

With that amount of resignations I can't see Penrith having a club in the Kentwell Cup this year. The SRU have themselves to blame. They kicked out Newcastle and Canberra for not fielding enough grades. Neither were willing to put their own local competitions at risk even though could provide more grades. Penrith stayed but didn't have the quality and numbers in their local comp and schools to provide grades and colts. Any decent players they have had went east.

They should never have been let in. Wollongong would have been a better option at the time to make up the numbers.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have been involved with the same club for nearly 10 years here in Sydney - I have never once seen anyone from NSWRU or SubbiesRU apart from Judiciary or Annual Meetings. We have never received any form of funding or equipment. Never seen a regional rep.

The Penrith Emus Club is 18km's away - never hear from them. EVER.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I have been involved with the same club for nearly 10 years here in Sydney - I have never once seen anyone from NSWRU or SubbiesRU apart from Judiciary or Annual Meetings. We have never received any form of funding or equipment. Never seen a regional rep.

The Penrith Emus Club is 18km's away - never hear from them. EVER.
    How many junior clubs do they have in their area?

Just been reading stuff from 2015 when they had an opening partnership of 434-0 put on them by Eastwood their head coach said that he joined in 2013 and they lost 43 players to other clubs, they only fielded four grades by players playing more than one game and one of their officials said the RA conducted a review in to Rugby in the west of Sydney. Where is that review? If it exists did it get sent to the Senate Inquiry?

Someone posted on the Roar that Penrith won the under 17s state championships that year. That's excellent. How many of those players ended up playing colts for Penrith?

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    How many junior clubs do they have in their area?

Just been reading stuff from 2015 when they had an opening partnership of 434-0 put on them by Eastwood their head coach said that he joined in 2013 and they lost 43 players to other clubs, they only fielded four grades by players playing more than one game and one of their officials said the RA conducted a review in to Rugby in the west of Sydney. Where is that review? If it exists did it get sent to the Senate Inquiry?

Someone posted on the Roar that Penrith won the under 17s state championships that year. That's excellent. How many of those players ended up playing colts for Penrith?
    I dont have any first hand information. I have never had any involvement with Penrith Emus. I have never been to one of their matches.

Penrith Juniors is large. Its successful. Our current Vice-President won the HSBC Volunteer of the Year a couple of years ago for his work with Penrith Juniors. Penrith Emus have on a regular basis taken money from Penrith Juniors to support the Senior Club. The last 3 or 4 years they have won under 10s and under 15 titles.

Penrith Emus have a very strong Islander player base and depending on who you talk to it is felt that they have a strong Islander selection policy too.

There is a lack of Club Culture and Penrith is seen as a stepping stone - Play a season with Penrith so you can get noticed and picked up by a good club.

If you draw a 30km radius with Penrith as the Centre- there are 5 or 6 Rugby Union Clubs. Only Penrith Emus is permitted to pay players. Yet My Club as well as Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury Valley and Blacktown all are able to find and attract players to play for our respective clubs. Penrith struggle.

Exile
    Sydney

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    With that amount of resignations I can't see Penrith having a club in the Kentwell Cup this year. The SRU have themselves to blame. They kicked out Newcastle and Canberra for not fielding enough grades. Neither were willing to put their own local competitions at risk even though could provide more grades. Penrith stayed but didn't have the quality and numbers in their local comp and schools to provide grades and colts. Any decent players they have had went east.
    For a while now, there's been agitation about Penrith (and Parramatta) being in the Shute Shield, mainly from the Toffs on the Lower North Shore and in the Eastern Suburbs.

That's why all that noise a couple of years ago about moving the Western Force from Perth to the Western Suburbs of Sydney was pure BS - the Purple Circle of NSW Rugby show no interest in a Shute Shield team in the Western Suburbs, let alone a Super Rugby team.

vCash
    It is ridiculous yet people still bring up that it would better to have a national club competition instead of the NRC. Not just the Force it was suggested that the Brumbies move to Parramatta.

Parramatta Rugby Club is over 100 years old and probably been in the competition for that long. They also have one of the biggest Rugby schools Kings on their doorstep. There are other schools like St Pats in Strathfield and Patrician Brothers Fairfield nearby.

This is why a national club comp will never happen and the NRC exists. The NSWRU can't even look after the game in their own capital city, have sub unions in their own state playing under the Brumbies and the RA is doing a lot of their development work.

The QRU as incompetent as they are would never do shop with the NSWRU for a cross border club competition that would further expand across the country. It was on the table when I was a child and after what the NSWRL did to the BRL the QRU would never let that happen to the Hospitals Cup.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    $2000 per team for Insurance $1000 per team for Registration $1000 per team for Rugby Australia Levy $360 per team for NSWRU Levy
    OK, so that's $4360 per team that the club fields in the comp. Let's assume (naively) that the cost of ground hire, kit, medical, electricity and anything else is completely covered by bar/canteen receipts, sponsorship and chook raffles, which is a dream of every club treasurer. Let's also (naively) assume that each team names and retains 30 players even though nearly every club struggles to get that and many (perhaps most) struggle to find 23 in some grades. 4360 divided by 30 is 146 dollars per head thrown in to a hole in the ground. It's likely to be a lot closer to the 190 per head that it would cost if you only had 23 players per team. $300 a head might not be enough to keep the doors open mate.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Agreed - $300 per senior sounds light.

Compare with WA subs - Cottesloe and Palmyra senior subs in 2017 were $320, and I think Kalamunda's senior subs in 2016 (or 2017) were $380 - is that correct?

vCash
    Don't forget you have Colts on student memberships so others have to pick up the slack.

Hornsby now compete in the Central Coast Comp and they charge 300 for the full membership

http://www.hornsbyrugby.com.au/Seniors/joinus.html

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    OK, so that's $4360 per team that the club fields in the comp. Let's assume (naively) that the cost of ground hire, kit, medical, electricity and anything else is completely covered by bar/canteen receipts, sponsorship and chook raffles, which is a dream of every club treasurer. Let's also (naively) assume that each team names and retains 30 players even though nearly every club struggles to get that and many (perhaps most) struggle to find 23 in some grades. 4360 divided by 30 is 146 dollars per head thrown in to a hole in the ground. It's likely to be a lot closer to the 190 per head that it would cost if you only had 23 players per team. $300 a head might not be enough to keep the doors open mate.
    $4360 Per team

First Grade, Second, Thirds plus Colts. Plus Womens Team. The Womens Team dont have a regular competition - they have 7s tournaments so their fees are different.

$17440 for the Club.
    about $12k for Kit

The last couple of years our Rego has been around the $200 for those that pay. Any player that brings a sponsor to the club gets free rego for the year. We have on average 90-110 registered players each year. Of that around 20 players pay registration. Its a ongoing, and losing battle to try and get money out of players. We cant force the issue as most players can go down the road, play League and earn up to $700 per game.

The talk this year so far has been rego at $150 in the hope that more players might actually pay it.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Shit, so you're essentially absorbing the entire cost of running the club and Al! Player fees will just go to the governing body?

That's not stressful at all😉

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Let me add a bit of scuttlebutt here. NSW Rugby Unions have used RugbyLink the least. RugbyWA have used it the most - I think we-re up to around 90%.

I have no idea why clubs and the union in NSW are suspicious of Rugbylink. It has been a great tool for clubs over here to get players to pay up. I also think NSW clubs have a right to ask why the extra levies when no-one from the organisation shows up.

vCash
    They're resistant to change that's why. Getting them down to Canberra for a loss was a chore. They never really stuck around after the matches and they wonder why teams and fans hate them.

Players not fully paid creates an insurance problem not just cash flow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast