Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rugby Australia launch women’s competition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    The women in this comp are not going to get paid! If it clashes with IPRC women will flock to Twiggys comp as they will get paid
    People are jumping the gun on that one - negotiations with RUPA are ongoing as part of the new collective bargaining agreement.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    The women in this comp are not going to get paid! If it clashes with IPRC women will flock to Twiggys comp as they will get paid
    Saw Pulver on ABC News saying they may consider paying them next year. Now who could doubt him?

P.S. I occurred to me at the time that if he can't find work, his rep is pretty much down the shitter, he could always rent his forehead out for billboard advertisements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Saw Pulver on ABC News saying they may consider paying them next year. Now who could doubt him?

P.S. I occurred to me at the time that if he can't find work, his rep is pretty much down the shitter, he could always rent his forehead out for billboard advertisements.
    What advertisements? Condoms?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    The successful hosting country for the RWC has to stump up a minimum £120 million to the IRB (AUD $150 million) to cover the hosting fee. Only Twiggy and the Federal Government has that money to underwrite. The RA have poor relationships with both parties.
    I think it comes to just over AUD $210 million, even Twiggy would think twice about giving that much away.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

vCash
    Yeah it is. Typical of the RA website to pull out AUD150 million out of thin air. Just can't see Twiggy even given up half that hosting fee and Uncle Rupert will probably be six feet under by then.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Struggling to see where the RA would get the votes if the bid does get tendered. I say SA will run again so they can't vote at all. Even with the sympathy vote towards SA, NZ might not vote for them if SA does a runner out of Super Rugby and they don't trust the RA.

Australia hasn't done much for Pacific Rugby over the past while apart from the Drua which has nothing to do with Tonga and Samoa. The RA voted for SA instead of Ireland, I doubt the RA get along with the French, the RA is trying to stonewall Rugby Asia with the IPRC, I would expect FIRA to vote for a European bid, Rugby Africa owe SA one (they share the same building with SARU).

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    With the women's sport gaining significant momentum, which is a great thing ... even the archaic AFL came to the table, we really need to support it. We need to get behind our girls that I trust will be wearing BLUE ... and come out in fore for their home games.

If we are the supporters of rugby in the state, lets prove it.

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

vCash
    I remember reading this last year just after ARU lost Buildcorp money sponsorship on the NRC. In hindsight it probably shows some of the fractured relationships already starting. In light of this I thought it interesting that as soon as Castle gets the job, all of a sudden there's a womens 15 rugby. Bit of a coincidence?

June 9 2017
    Save
    Print
    License article
    ARU's lost sponsorship could trigger boardroom change

Roy Masters
    facebookSHARE
    twitterTWEET
    email
    More
    The withdrawal of a key Australian Rugby Union sponsorship may be the trigger for a palace revolt at the code's troubled headquarters, with a possible outcome that an Australian football code will have a female leader for the first time.
    The decision by Buildcorp to cancel a million-dollar naming rights sponsorship of the code's key pathways competition, the National Rugby Championship, will destabilise the leadership of chief executive Bill Pulver and chairman Cameron Clyne who are already under siege for the painful delay in announcing which Super Rugby team, the Western Force or the Melbourne Rebels, will be cut from the 18-team SANZAAR competition.
    Share on FacebookSHARE
    Share on TwitterTWEET
    Link

Wallaroos stars Sharni Williams (left) and Shannon Parry (right) with Buildcorp's Josephine Sukkar. *Photo: Karen Watson
    Buildcorp's co-chair is Josephine Sukkar who is also a member of the powerful ARU board nomination committee, the body which assesses the credentials for those who stand for election on the peak body of the sport. The ARU has three female directors, Ann Sherry, Elizabeth Broderick and Pip Marlow, all prominent in business and social equity forums.*
    Sherry, the executive director of cruise line company Carnival, is seen as a future chair of the ARU and could take the reins at St Leonards. The divide between Sherry and Pulver potentially began on the eve of the Australian Olympic Committee election when Pulver called AOC president John Coates offering to support his candidature in exchange for Coates putting Sherry on his ticket for the AOC executive committee. Coates explained this was not possible because such positions were traditionally reserved for heads of AOC sports or prominent Olympians. Perhaps Pulver was hoping such a position would detour Sherry's ARU ambitions, or it was a genuine attempt to gain influence for the ARU, but *others on the ARU board, such as former Wallabies captain John Eales, were believed to be committed to Coates.
    Share on FacebookSHARE
    Share on TwitterTWEET
    Link

ARU board members Ann Sherry (left) and Elizabeth Broderick.*Photo: Janie Barrett
    How the ARU eventually voted at the AOC AGM is not known but Coates believes the code did not support him.

The next pivotal moment occurred last month when Sherry hosted a cocktail party at her Sydney home for the ARU women's sevens team that won a gold medal at the Rio Olympics. This event really caused the old boys' network to hurrumph into their double malts. *Broderick and Marlow were there, but no other director was present – not Eales, nor another former Wallaby Brett Robinson, and no Clyne or Pulver.
    Advertisement

Australian Sports Commission chair John Wylie attended and was lavishly praised by Sherry for the federal government's financial support of women's rugby.

Rugbyheaven Newsletter
    Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.
    Wylie supported Danni Roche in her failed bid to topple Coates as AOC president and would, presumably, have endorsed Sherry, a former ASC board member, on the AOC executive board.
    The event, to celebrate the rugby sevens success in Rio, was held nine months after the Olympics, a delay that could be interpreted to show a lack of support at ARU headquarters for women's rugby.
    After the withdrawal of Buildcorp sponsorship of the NRC, Sukkar made it clear it was because of the ARU's inaction in establishing an equivalent competition for women even though the cash-strapped code would struggle to fund such an endeavour. Buildcorp has been a sponsor of the NRC since its resurrection in 2014 and has supported club rugby since 1992.
    Sukkar, apart from being a member of the crucial nominations committee, is also president of Australian Women's Rugby and a director of the Australian Rugby Foundation. Her roles in these organisations have raised the question whether the withdrawal of the Buildcorp sponsorship is effectively a vote of no confidence in the leadership of the ARU.
    An agreement between the ARU and the Rugby Union Players Association states that two Wallabies who played in the professional era [post 1995] must serve on the board. Eales and Robinson compulsorily retire in 2019 and 2020, respectively, when they have served the maximum nine-year terms.
    Sherry was contacted for comment but a spokesperson referred all enquiries to the ARU.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/r...b3aa8940fb7aa9

RUGBY Australia’s bid to not fall behind in the fast moving women’s sporting revolution has resulted in female players going unpaid, an advocate says.

Outgoing RA boss Bill Pulver has conceded players in the national women’s XVs competition, rebranded this week as Super W, will not be renumerated for their efforts due to being considered amateurs.

Super W is the latest women’s competition by a major Australian sporting code, following the WBBL, W-League, AFLW and NRL Women’s Premiership, with the latter announced this month.

RA believes the competition will provide greater pathways to elite — and paid — involvement in the game and has been hailed by Wallaroos co-captain Shannon Parry as a huge step forward for women’s rugby.

“For the girls to have week-in, week-out strong competition, it’s a lot better for the (national) team,” Parry said.

Well that's disappointing for womens rugby. Then again Rats Arse has not idea how to run a pro sport. What's the odds that the girls will have to fund their own travel too?

Champion
    vCash
    If local club male players playing NRC don't get paid why should it be any different for the female players.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    If local club male players playing NRC don't get paid why should it be any different for the female players.
    Didn’t know that Westie, that disgusts me even more. Just shows how much Pulver & his puppet master have done nothing but milk these comps to grab the limelight & nothing more but make wordspeak.

vCash
    The NRC was to be a cost neutral comp for the RA which I can understand given that O'Neill canned the ARC due to losses mainly due to the Rebels funnily enough. The Vikings performed badly on the pitch considering the squad but didn't lose money as far as I know. Perth got good crowds and were profitable.

Now the Sydney teams can't sort themselves out (actually started performing when it was too late) and the Eagles are still being topped up by Shut Shield players because they can take a day off work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2