Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ange Postecoglu Quits

vCash

Ange Postecoglu Quits

Ange Postecoglou quits as Socceroos coach having left a major mark on the game

To most outsiders, the decision seems baffling.

Got to say I must be an outsider for sure. I'm stunned, hugely disappointed and angry at the white anters within if that's what is behind this. The players will be livid if that's the case.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a...22-gzqdfc.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Forgive me but who the hell is Ange Postecoglu?

vCash
    Someone told me he is the John Mitchell of Soccer? Dunno if that is a suitable comparison?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Forgive me but who the hell is Ange Postecoglu?
    Jesus, it's in the title of the article.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Someone told me he is the John Mitchell of Soccer? Dunno if that is a suitable comparison?
    John Mitchell didn't always had the players jumping all over him with sheer joy after the game. But he was good at unearthing talent from relative obscurity. Maybe that it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    Well, that was the second worst kept secret in Ozzie sport this year!

vCash
    Damn, so it's true. Big loss.

I think this bit was stretching things a little>
    .. incomprehension that someone could just walk away from one of the most coveted positions in world sport.. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    I think this bit was stretching things a little>
    .. incomprehension that someone could just walk away from one of the most coveted positions in world sport.. "
    True. But you're right, big loss. Nobody expected the team to perform at the level they did in Brazil with the players he picked. The hard part is that he was in the middle of changing from the way they played then and in wining the AFC Cup. Just seemed to be getting there and ...Gonski. You have to wonder whether Cahill, Milligan and maybe a few more will carry on to Russia now.

vCash
    I don't think any of the players will forego the chance to play at a World Cup, especially Cahill who will be lining up for a 4th World Cup.

vCash
    From someone who might have a few more connections to the sport. I can say that Ange was good at some things and terrible at others. Despite being relatively successful at getting the socceroos to their 4th world cup in a row. The feeling is that he is trying to hybridise a playing style to suit "Australians". On one hand he plays a rigid possession based game that is suited to building pressure and finding gaps in defences but on the other he relies too heavily on opportunistic plays in the attacking quarter that very rarely pan out, hence the reason for the Socceroos drawing so many games and having to go down the repechage route to qualify. This is another reason why Cahill is so successful in these games as he is best suited to getting those opportunistic goals, once he's gone there is no one else that has shown they have that mindset and skillset to take up the slack. We have awesome talent with ball in hand that is going to waste, guys like Kruse, Luongo and Mooy that can break apart defences with slick unpredictable plays. I say we are no worse off with a different Coach, unless hes really crap... lets see what we get!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    From someone who might have a few more connections to the sport. I can say that Ange was good at some things and terrible at others. Despite being relatively successful at getting the socceroos to their 4th world cup in a row. The feeling is that he is trying to hybridise a playing style to suit "Australians". On one hand he plays a rigid possession based game that is suited to building pressure and finding gaps in defences but on the other he relies too heavily on opportunistic plays in the attacking quarter that very rarely pan out, hence the reason for the Socceroos drawing so many games and having to go down the repechage route to qualify. This is another reason why Cahill is so successful in these games as he is best suited to getting those opportunistic goals, once he's gone there is no one else that has shown they have that mindset and skillset to take up the slack. We have awesome talent with ball in hand that is going to waste, guys like Kruse, Luongo and Mooy that can break apart defences with slick unpredictable plays. I say we are no worse off with a different Coach, unless hes really crap... lets see what we get!
    The flaws in what he was trying to do looked less of a problem once Jedinak was back in the middle. Their transition looked stodgy through all those draws. As you said, with knowledge of being connected to the sport that seemed what the "insiders" were saying - from what an "unconnected" supporter could glean. Not starting Mooy was very unpopular as was changing style mid way through qualifying.

Still what's done is done. After Verbeek and Osiek I think there will need to be a high calibre candidate if another overseas coach gets the gig. Trouble is the FFA is in a mess and probably can't afford such a candidate. If they go for another Aussie there's probably only Arnold and Popovic in the frame? Maybe Muscat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The flaws in what he was trying to do looked less of a problem once Jedinak was back in the middle. Their transition looked stodgy through all those draws. As you said, with knowledge of being connected to the sport that seemed what the "insiders" were saying - from what an "unconnected" supporter could glean. Not starting Mooy was very unpopular as was changing style mid way through qualifying.

Still what's done is done. After Verbeek and Osiek I think there will need to be a high calibre candidate if another overseas coach gets the gig. Trouble is the FFA is in a mess and probably can't afford such a candidate. If they go for another Aussie there's probably only Arnold and Popovic in the frame? Maybe Muscat?
    Pretty sure that Guus Hiddinck is still available and he has unfinished business in Australia. Not sure about whether van Gaal and Big Phil are available. Harry Redknapp got the boot from another club job and was knocked back by England.

Having watched the team play the skill sets and decision making need to improve rapidly to play a possession game. Accuracy in the box is another big work on. Longer cut pitches in the middle of the year during key qualifiers don't help either when playing a passing game.

Players like Rogic and Mooy now they are established in the UK need to move to bigger clubs. Mooy needs to go to a club that's consistently around Europa League qualification then move up again if he proves himself.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Guus kick started the Aussie resurgance but he has had little success with other teams. That might mean that his coaching ideas are more effective with our players but could also mean his frailties were better hidden by the quality of the cattle he put on the paddock.. i think we need someone new. I havent any idea whose available so cant comment on who that might be

vCash
    Guus kick started the Aussie resurgance but he has had little success with other teams. That might mean that his coaching ideas are more effective with our players but could also mean his frailties were better hidden by the quality of the cattle he put on the paddock.. i think we need someone new. I havent any idea whose available so cant comment on who that might be
    Found the right guy...
    http://flacksports.com/jarryd-hayne-coach-socceroos/

vCash
    Guus was very good for Chelsea and South Korea. He took the Koreans to the back end of the 2002 World Cup and PSV to three Dutch titles along with taking them to the Champions League Semi Final which got him hired in Australia. He has been coaching at the moment for the highest bidder.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast