Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perth Stadium Open Day

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Fox sports have got an article out about how shite the food was. I usually avoid stadium food and drink however Cricket and Tennis you have no choice so they have to lift their game there.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Had to laugh hearing the summary before the game by some pommie bloke they were interviewing, along the lines of "It's good, like a small MCG"... 😁

vCash
    How many $15 pints of Stella had he consumed before the interview?

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Didn't catch who it was, but it was one of the players or commentators. Suposedly that doesn't mean he hadn't had a few though...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    TV commentators were constantly comparing it to the MCG but saying how fab the place is...and that they got lost in the morning trying to find where to go.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I was at the stadium yesterday and had zero problems with the food. The chicken wings were pretty good as were the chicken nuggets. $5.20 for a pie is probably just above par for a servo these days?

Shame the pub outside the ground isn’t finished yet as I reckon they will get plenty of patronage during breaks in okay for an ODI or a Test match.

I feel bad for anyone sitting on the non-member side of the ground as the beers over there could barely count as beer and they were pretty gross. I guess it’s a preview for when I go to a non-Cricket event at the stadium.

I could probably nitpick a few things such as the beer taps being used for the first time so it took a couple of attempts to pour a beer that wasn’t 95% head. Nothing says “at the Cricket” more than being on the beers at 9:55am.

The only problem I had was getting home as mentioned above. Took a little over an hour to get home, the trip in took 20 minutes!

Great venue, looking forward to visiting again on Thursday for the Scorchers Semi.

Last edited by jargan83; 29-01-18 at 13:21.

vCash
    Jargs, what was the member's area? It looked like pretty much the whole north side, and all the way up to level 5.

With that many seats, did you have to queue up at 7am to grab a prime seat, or are they balloted, nominated, etc?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I got there at about 8:20ish ao waited in line until the gates opened at 9:30, I assume there were people there since 7 or earlier. I was at Gate C and was pretty close to the front of the line, it seemed as though a lot of members were lining up at Gate A. By time the gates opened the line at Gate A was almost to Gate C and the line at Hate C was a quarter of the way towards Windan bridge. Members were able to enter through any gate but I assume most of the traffic was lined up at Gates A and C as they were the closest gats to the members reserve.

There is reserve seating in the members area but in pervious years that’s been about $25 per day at the Test Match and the same for the ODI and it is via a nomination ballot. It could have been more this year as I did not pay much attention to the emails from the WACA. Wasn’t a fan of the 3 blocks of seating on level being marked as alcohol free which meant if you wanted a couple of beers through mout the day you either had to sit almost square of the wicket in the ground level or up on level 5.

I raced to Aisle 519 (I think) close to the Northern Terrace bar. Great views of the ground but I’m going to aim for level 1 on Thursday. It’s my belief there is no reserved seating for the BBL semi apart from a block reserved for life members and SMI members.

I did a survey for the WACA/Cricket Australia this afternoon that had half a dozen questions about paying for reserve seating in the members area so I wonder if they might be thinking about expanding the reserve seating. I really hope not, I pay $680 for my
    Membership plus guest pass and reckon that making the membership pay extra for reserve seating is just a cash grab.

Rookie
    vCash

vCash
    I was in 540, so probably almost directly across the ground from Jargs. Being on the south side, I did wonder if we'd get much sun, but we were in the back row and had plenty of shade. We also got a nice breeze at that level - down in the bowl on Level 1 I can see it getting pretty stifling on a hot day. We did see strips of cloth, ~5 seats wide, going up the Level 5 tiers, so wondered if that was the demarcation of members/non-members areas; it seemed to be about level with there that the members' area started on the Level 1 concourse.

The back of Level 5 is pretty high up (although the climb from the concourse was less than we had to do to get to our seats in row AA at Nib). I think they missed a trick by not having a concourse at the top of Level 5 with more escalators/ramps/stairs up the back. There's plenty of room between the seats and the outside wall of the stadium to have done that, and it would have provided a) more and easier access, b) even better viewing of the city and river than the Level 5 concourse, c) more concession outlets, d) less disruption to others when walking in and out of seats.

One gripe I had was the long walk between your seat and getting to the concourse. Most seats I recall at the WACA, you could wait for the end of an over, get up and move along to the end of your row, and get out of people's eye-line before the next over was bowled (especially if England were bowling!) But from where we were (admittedly about as far as you'd have to travel to get to the concourse), you were going to end up blocking someone's view for a minimum of a ball or two.

The other gripe I had was the seat numbering. My ticket said Aisle 539, Row 22, Seat 14, and when I got to Aisle 539 it had arrows pointing 539 to one side of the aisle and 540 to the other. When I found Row 22, block 540 seats were numbered 1 upwards and block 539 seats were numbered 55 downwards. I went along the row in the 539 block to find Seat 14, but I was already past Aisle 538 and heading to Aisle 537. When I checked my ticket again, it said in much smaller text that I was Aisle 539, Block 540, Row 22, Seat 14. This is going to cause confusion!

Mind you, otherwise I thought it a great ground and a huge improvement on Subi or Nib.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I found it to be pretty easy to jump up from my seats and do a dash to the concourse, I was in the 2nd row of my block and 6 seats from the aisle so perhaps that's why.

I don't know how busy the concession outlets were on the "other" side but I found it pretty easy to dash out and grab food or a beer and be back at my seat in quick time. I was a huge fan of the standing areas near the bars, the human body was not designed to sit all day especially when you're Sciatica nerve is giving you the shits!

Loved the Sky View Lounge as well, very panoramic views of the Swan River and the City.

vCash
    I reckon Miss Mauds should open a few shops at the stadium. I could do with those triple-decker sandwiches or those pies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    People should on mass refuse to attend sporting venues which charge entry fees (and exorbitant ones at that) unless and until they are allowed to bring in their own food and non alcoholic drinks (in plastic containers) should they so desire.

You'll soon see the price of food go down and the quality go up when people vote with their feet.

I can understand the need to have some control over alcohol sales, but I hate the pomposity that says that those who can afford membership (or freeload on those who can) are a more responsible, better class of obnoxious, aggressive drunk than those who can't.

Either everybody can buy full strength beer and spirits, or nobody can. This is a government owned, taxpayer funded facility.

My view is that there should be government pricing regulations on all alcohol sold, to prevent gouging, and all sales, and all usual societal serving and drinking protocols required to be observed in hotels, to be strictly enforced.

We should not all be treated like fools and potential inebriates because of the bad behaviour of a few, and because of the incompetence or inability of the police and facility security to enforce the law at sporting stadia the way they do everywhere else in society.

And finally, why should we allow ourselves to be ripped off so meekly?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So true, the number of times the ‘corporate’ boxes behind our seats at NIB were always full of knobs who spent the evening becoming drunk/er knobs, making the most of the free gargle, throwing food, dropping empty bottles on top of us, & acting like a schoolies weekend at Ibiza. At least the drunks in the Shed were able to maintain sanity!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast