Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of WA rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I can't understand how the IRPC could allow player access to become an issue. I would have thought it would be a simple fix...no player in the Shute Shield, Hospitals Cup, Dewar Shield or Dent Cup will be considered eligible to participate in the IPRC. Easy peasy.
    Precisely - either local players or players recruited/returning from overseas.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My thoughts and hopes are the IPRC will be an inclusive competition, be the opposite of RA. Welcome players from not just Australia but around the world, build this comp, grow the game. As much as I hate the RA the last thing I would ever want is to replicate them in the way they are shrinking, killing, excluding the game rugby.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    So the points arising from the announcement today are:

1 No resolution as yet of Forrest and RA issues over Asian competition, but parties are in discussions despite RA's unreasonable financial demands.

2 Forrest to invest "big" amount into grassroots rugby in WA, but amount not yet specified, nor details of how it will be spent/distributed provided.

3 RugbyWA still in administration, but hope to be out of it tomorrow if creditors accept proposals to compromise their debts, including the debt to ARU/RA.

4 Subject to being released from administration, the intellectual property pertaining to the Force, including the name, will be returned to RugbyWA on unspecified terms.

Have I got it right? Is that it?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Precisely - either local players or players recruited/returning from overseas.
    Indeed. I doubt the NZRU wouldn't take advantage of getting some of their best uncontracted NPC talent some professional experience, or prevent it superannuating some of their older players while keeping them local. If RA doesn't want similar advantage, no reason not to agree and leave it between them and their players.

Not to mention the Pacific Islands, the States, Canada, most of South America, etc, etc. Why would you deny players an opportunity, if they wanted to be involved? No reason players from the rest of the country would be missed if they weren't available. A big reason why it was a mistake having it as an 'Australian' competition.

Last edited by AndyS; 07-12-17 at 12:35.

vCash
    The NSWRU and QRU are making a non issue out of it. Players that sign for the Reds and Tahs don't play club Rugby if they are selected to play in a Super Rugby match or tour.

Hodgson said he had 300 EOIs to play in the IPRC mainly players that want to play in Australia or close to home if they end up with an Asian club. They weren't all Australian players and nothing was said about signing numerous players from deluded Premier Rugby clubs in Sydney and Brisbane. The information about the IPRC is there they just haven't bothered to do their research or just read the bits they want to pick at.

As for the Force if a NSW or Qld player signs a deal to play in the IPRC to Perth they align themselves with a Pindan premier grade club. No different to what occurred in Super Rugby when there five teams in that competition. The Sydney clubs want to send it back to the dark old days when Force players who weren't selected for Super 14 in the early days went back to the Shut Shield to play their club Rugby.

If a player ends up playing for example Singapore they are aligned to a local club there and as part of their contract they have to participate with that club. Whether it is coaching, working in the canteen, selling merchandise, etc.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    If there were 300 EOIs from players interested in the IPRC, then it sounds like a draft of some sort may be in order, at least initially - to equalize the talent and ensure a team backed by a super-rich owner doesn't just sign everyone. (Although most teams sound like being owned by super-rich backers!)

Maybe include a requirement to have a certain number of local players in each team, eg, for Bakkies' Singapore-based side, they can field a team composed entirely of foreign imports, but also have to have local players who train alongside the imports. The number of imports allowed reduces gradually. Agree that the imports have to participate in the club and local community.

The requirement to have teams of: mens' 15, womens' 15, mens' 7 and womens' 7 (plus others - wasn't there talk of junior levels, too?) means that each IPRC team will need at least 60 players to tour, and squads of 80+ to cover injuries.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Players being distributed out amongst the sides is a part of the plan. Salary cap hasn't been discussed yet.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    If it is, I'm done and dusted.

Spirit in the NPC is irrelevant for the future of WA players. That comp will soon founder, and anyway is not enough to create a genuine pathway to professional and international rugby. Without Super players the amateurs will struggle. And it's run by RatsArse.
    Have to agree, couldnt give a shit about the spirit if we dont have a fully pro team. I am seriously contemplating putting my two boys into AFL next year, and if that happens then given the way AFL runs their junior programs/ Auskick etc then they will be lost to rugby forever. I hope the news is good, I mean really good, because its been the most depressing year in rugby that I have ever experienced and I know lots of others who feel the same way.

I was really hoping we would secede and just start the IPRC regardless, looks like that idea was doomed. Clyne 2 , Twiggy 0.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    SParRTAN, ever thought of letting your kids make their own decisions, instead of foisting your disappointments on them?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Gee Spartan the way you were talking it up last week I thought you were a very active club person. I reckon you would fit right in with the GayFl mob, you should do it not talk about.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Gee Spartan the way you were talking it up last week I thought you were a very active club person. I reckon you would fit right in with the GayFl mob, you should do it not talk about.
    Lay off the turps mate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    SParRTAN, ever thought of letting your kids make their own decisions, instead of foisting your disappointments on them?
    Its not that, my kid got a west coast eagle hat for his sports day at school and doesnt know the difference. He recognises the logo and gets all excited. I cant guarantee a rugby team will exist next year and Force merchandise has become increasing difficult to buy down south of Perth. Couldnt find anything at any sport shop and gave up, there just isnt any presence of Force gear around and nothing to get him excited over the Force brand. Its actually an easy decision really.

AFL season is still a long way away and he has just finished cricket season today as he plays in the auskick equivalent, milo cricket. So I reckon if we get some good news ill hold off and consider rugby for him, if not ill let AFL engulf him, much prefer he has a professional pathway than just a pathway to the amateur / semi pro spirit which I actually dont care for at all. Good on AFL for making their sport attractive to kids, rugby could learn a valuable lesson.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Smile

so,you are worried about his professional pathway-at the age of ,what?

is your surname williams,or tomic

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post

Yep I am. Incase he becomes really good. Sports that don't have pro pathways are meaningless to me. Sorry buts uts just rhe way it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post

Dokic.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast