Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35

Thread: The future of WA rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Forgive me if this is naive, but Twiggy appears to be the only influential individual in this whole saga who has WA Rugby's back. If he is cut out of the deal, I fear that the Asian league will be a pure vehicle to prosper Heartland rugby and nothing more.
    I think that you may be right.
    The WA Rugby Community has been given plenty of reasons to doubt ARU/RA's bona fides regarding the future of Rugby Union in WA.

But I'm also inclined to agree with fulvio's opinion:

Andy, RA own the game, just like you own your car. If I drive off in your car without your permission, the law will get involved.
    I don't think that the IPRC can get up without the approval (and the blessing) of WR, which I think probably means that it will need the approval and the blessing of ARU/RA.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If that were true, it would only be if the lack of WR approval deterred the other participants. A question that would be well worth testing IMO...WR is never going to create a professional al structure in any of those countries, just give them the same sort of lip service WA gets from RA.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    If that were true, it would only be if the lack of WR approval deterred the other participants. A question that would be well worth testing IMO...WR is never going to create a professional al structure in any of those countries, just give them the same sort of lip service WA gets from RA.
    I was thinking that the impediments might come from the application of IP and Competition Law.
    I would not be surprised if the IRB/WR claimed ownership of the Rugby brand and the IP connected to Rugby Union. It could be that IRB/WR's IP rights are subject to EU Law as well as UK Law (GOK what might happen after Brexit ).

ISTM that it could possibly get a wee bit more complicated because of the multiple jurisdictions and because of the sometimes murky nature of IP Law and its application in several Asian countries.

Last edited by FingerTips; 27-12-17 at 13:07.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    I was thinking that the impediments might come from the application of IP and Competition Law.
    I would not be surprised if the IRB/WR claimed ownership of the Rugby brand and the IP connected to Rugby Union. It could be that IRB/WR's IP rights are subject to EU Law as well as UK Law (my understanding is that European competition provisions can be broad - and GOK what could happen after Brexit ).

ISTM that it could possibly get a wee bit complicated because of the multiple jurisdictions and because of the sometimes murky nature of IP Law and its application in several Asian countries.
    I'd like to see World Rugby claim exclusive use of the Rugby brand in the courts. I can see the NRL and Super League helping the IPRC in that case.

Breakaway leagues, if done properly, can survive or even enhance the original league. Cricket (Packer's WSC), rugby league (Super League/ARL), darts (PDC/BDO), soccer (EPL/FA), American Football (NFL/AFL), basketball (NBL/BAA), even baseball started as two leagues. These sports all handled the breakaways differently, some tried bully-boy tactics but usually found the breakaway to have a good business case and financial backing, and so had to cave.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    RUPA, IRB and Rugby Asia need to grow some gonads if the RA don't approve the IPRC.

In regards to the IRB taking action against the RA they played dumb to Tonkar's call about ASIC. If the IRB don't take action send it to CAS and the IOC.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    So anyone in the know, is there still going to be a rugby community event held in January?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    So anyone in the know, is there still going to be a rugby community event held in January?
    I believe Rugby WA Juniors are keen on getting something happening, as they want to get junior registrations promoted. I reckon some kind of Fan Open Day as suggested on Facebook, & perhaps a couple of presentation games would be great. Am pretty sure Sea of Blue would turn up to the smell of an oily rag for anything for the Force/IPRC news. It’s the arseholes RA who are stalling\sabotaging the endorsement. I was thinking that now Pulver’s out of the setup, it’d be a good chance to lay some pressure on him to be whistleblower..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I believe Rugby WA Juniors are keen on getting something happening, as they want to get junior registrations promoted. I reckon some kind of Fan Open Day as suggested on Facebook, & perhaps a couple of presentation games would be great. Am pretty sure Sea of Blue would turn up to the smell of an oily rag for anything for the Force/IPRC news. It’s the arseholes RA who are stalling\sabotaging the endorsement. I was thinking that now Pulver’s out of the setup, it’d be a good chance to lay some pressure on him to be whistleblower..
    He couldn't whistleblow his own actions though could he?

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Haha- no but he might be wanting a get out of jail card in return for ratting out the other rats!

vCash
    Hi all,

RugbyWA is having a workshop on 17 Jan to discuss plans for community rugby, following on from the press conference John Edwards gave on 8 Dec.

Personally, I’m really keen for us to have a “keep the passion alive” community event to launch the 2018 season and I’ll be proposing that at the workshop.

I have no idea what is happening on the IPRC side of things but I hope we’ll learn more at the workshop.

I’ll keep you all updated with any news as soon as it comes to hand, but rest assured that there are lots of people working really hard behind the scenes, so please keep the faith!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    No but he could cut a deal with the authorities to dish out further information for a lighter punishment. He will need employment sometime this year.

It didn't take long for the Senate Committee to cop on that Clarke and co were trying to shove him under the bus.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    He will need employment sometime this year.
    Unfortunately, Pulver is worth at least $20 million.

That might be chump change to someone like Twiggy but he's still wealthy. Ol' Bill won't be desperate to land a weekly wage.

It's hard to see him suddenly dishing the dirt on rugby dealings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Unfortunately, Pulver is worth at least $20 million.

That might be chump change to someone like Twiggy but he's still wealthy. Ol' Bill won't be desperate to land a weekly wage.

It's hard to see him suddenly dishing the dirt on rugby dealings.

See how long that 20 million lasts with his reputation in ruins. If he wants to stay out of the beak he needs to start talking.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35