Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: NIB this Sunday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How the fuck do Ireland miss out on a QF spot yet Lebanon who only won 1 game get through?
    Samoa are through without winning a game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How the fuck do Ireland miss out on a QF spot yet Lebanon who only won 1 game get through?
    Not right is it. I think, even though this will be a successful tournament, it needs a little tweaking to ensure it actually benefits growing the game outside of England, Oz, PNG and the PI. A quota of residents to be fielded in each team? There's actually only 1 Lebanon based player in that team. Most are reserve graders with a couple of first graders and a few from Auburn Warriors and Blacktown Workers.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not right is it. I think, even though this will be a successful tournament, it needs a little tweaking to ensure it actually benefits growing the game outside of England, Oz, PNG and the PI. A quota of residents to be fielded in each team? There's actually only 1 Lebanon based player in that team. Most are reserve graders with a couple of first graders and a few from Auburn Warriors and Blacktown Workers.
    At least the RLIF mandates the code is actually played in that country nowadays - league wasn't actually played in Lebanon when they competed at the 2000 World Cup. To the international federation's credit they have done a good job basing the international game on a much more rigorous footing since then (pretty much starting with the 2008 World Cup) which is starting to pay dividends now. That said the women's tournament starting on Thursday will feature a Canadian team made up entirely of active rugby union players or converts!

I think more important is what they do with a team like Tonga now. We saw what happened with Samoa - they had a huge showing at the 2014 Four Nations, almost causing a couple of upsets, and then didn't play another tier one nation until this year. Any progress they could have made was lost.

vCash
    They have put a bye window concurrently here and in the UK. Player logistics could be a sticking point with the clubs though.

USA has made strides with most of the squad playing domestically there. Or at least in North America. Got a few playing for the Toronto Wolf Pack. Be interesting to see they progress next year with their promotion. I think the Coal Train is playing for them.

New York are supposedly entering Superleague in 2019 and Want Hayne.

vCash
    New York are supposedly entering Superleague in 2019 and Want Hayne.
    I'll believe that when I see it. At least 3 years of planning went into getting the Toronto Wolfpack into the English 3rd tier, not to mention rugby league already had a presence in the region.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I'll believe that when I see it. At least 3 years of planning went into getting the Toronto Wolfpack into the English 3rd tier, not to mention rugby league already had a presence in the region.
    Bad choice of words. NY are looking into taking the same route - thru the 3rd division. A true Mungo would've known that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    A true Mungo would've known that.
    My dad's from the North Shore dude...

vCash
    My dad's from the North Shore dude...
    Mine too. North shore of the Georges River. But what that's got to with anything - FIIK.

vCash
    Sorry I thought we were starting a "smartarse-off" - my mistake...

vCash
    Sorry I thought we were starting a "smartarse-off" - my mistake...
    Watch it, with Shasta they can rapidly turn into a smartarse-athon.

C'mon the

vCash

vCash
    Morgan to score a double @$9.00.

vCash
    I'm unconvinced that the Lebs should even be in RLWC. But you have to admire the grit they play with. A bunch of park footy players and reserve graders showing that you can go with a team full of NRL reps as long as you work hard and defend like your life depends on it. Chuck in a few crafty NRL playmakers and you can even score some tries.
    Lebs right in the game 22-16 @ half time. think the size and athleticism of Tonga will win out though.

vCash
    I'm unconvinced that the Lebs should even be in RLWC. But you have to admire the grit they play with. A bunch of park footy players and reserve graders showing that you can go with a team full of NRL reps as long as you work hard and defend like your life depends on it. Chuck in a few crafty NRL playmakers and you can even score some tries.
    Lebs right in the game 22-16 @ half time. think the size and athleticism of Tonga will win out though.
    Probably more legit than the Canadian women's team yesterday which featured a number of players literally playing their 4th game of rugby league.

England will carve up if Tonga defend like this in the semis (assuming Lebanon doesn't beat them).

vCash
    Right in it. 24-22 with 10 to go. Unlucky not to have the lead really.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast