Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: NIB this Sunday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    We're getting there in a VERY roundabout way but we may end up with the Australia-England final I predicted before the tournament after all.
    I won't be taking the odds for Fiji this time. While I think Tonga are a live chance to get over England, the bookies are too stingy. Should be a cracker of a game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What I don't get about this tournament is the lack of midweek games. It's duration is nearly the length of the RWC but with a lot less matches. People complained at the start of the tournament over the lack of finances that players from the smaller nations particularly for those playing for the teams like the US receive for the tournament and the running costs of fielding a team. Midweek games would reduce the accommodation costs significantly as the smaller nations will be home a lot earlier.

Also reckon some of these smaller nations should open up Olympic eligibility to the RL guys and make a play for the gold.
    Won't happen Fijians have got wingers come out of their ears and you only to have look at the Drua to see the play making talent coming through. Nations like PNG who have great potential as a 7s nation are competing against the likes of Tonga and Samoa if those two nations don't qualify for the Olympics through the World 7s series.

Nations like the US have a far bigger pool of Rugby players and College athletes to select from then US League does (which is why I don't get the talk of a US team in the English league system).

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    (which is why I don't get the talk of a US team in the English league system).
    The Toronto Wolfpack, with more than a few USA players entered via the Third Tier this year, smacked everybody undefeated - by as much as 76-0 - and are in the second division. I'll see how they go next year before I wonder about NY's prospects in 2019.

vCash
    Will be an interesting season ahead for them, after promotion. Will be very interested to see the first clash of a Canadian vs French club when they take on Toulouse.

On a side note, there's something amiss about the fact that in a few years time, Toronto could potentially win a RL World Club Championship, while Western Australia cannot. One wonders where we'd be by now if the Reds were still around? That's why I really hope this IPRC thing takes off, I think it'll be a damn shame if I'm having the same lamentation over rugby union in 20 years time.

Last edited by chibi; 21-11-17 at 00:44.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Rugby union will want to get its house in order quicksmart in North America. Rugby union obviously swamps rugby league with regards to participation and crowds up there (30,000 recently attending Canada v the Maori) and likely always will at grassroots level. However with the Toronto Wolfpack heading towards Super League status, its owner looking to set up a 2nd Canadian side in 2019, the potential NY bid, the RLIF tentatively planning to hold the 2025 Rugby League World Cup in North America, and the wholesale recruitment of high level Canadian women's players for this year's tournament, rugby league could easily get the jump on establishing itself at the pro level with knock-on effects for rugby union's national teams and competitions.

vCash
    Rugby union will want to get its house in order quicksmart in North America. Rugby union obviously swamps rugby league with regards to participation and crowds up there (30,000 recently attending Canada v the Maori) and likely always will at grassroots level. However with the Toronto Wolfpack heading towards Super League status, its owner looking to set up a 2nd Canadian side in 2019, the potential NY bid, the RLIF tentatively planning to hold the 2025 Rugby League World Cup in North America, and the wholesale recruitment of high level Canadian women's players for this year's tournament, rugby league could easily get the jump on establishing itself at the pro level with knock-on effects for rugby union's national teams and competitions.
    This new comp will be the make or break for the next 20 years of rugby up there.
    Can’t see them entering the pro 14. An America’s competition with north and South America is the most logical outcome imo

vCash
    Americas, Indo Pacific and Afro-European leagues all in their own time zones. Just screams good sense really.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The massive thing that Rugby has over League in the US and Canada is grassroots competitions, schools, colleges and of course Olympic funding. They can set up teams with mostly locals topped up with foreign marquee players. Players like Ngwenya, Chris Wyles, Tyler Arden, AJ McGinty can play professionally at home. The likes of Mils Muiliana and Pedrie Wannenburg played in the previous competition there.

I see that former WWE wrestler John Layfield aka Bradshaw is looking at backing one of the sides. Conor McGregor is a rumoured investor for a potential side in New York. These guys do PR and promos as part of their jobs which is what the new comp needs.

TV rights have already been sold to CBS. The Vegas 7s is televised by NBC.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Fiji +25.5 into Tonga to win = $5.25

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Fiji +25.5 into Tonga to win = $5.25
    Serious question. Do you like Rugby or League better? No i aint gonna poll it.

vCash
    Well it was sorta Rugby is the international thing for me and League is the tribal game of my Sydney roots. No preference for one over the other. Recent events have taken the shine off Rugby for the time being.

PS. NickNat singing the Fiji anthem pre game was a good look.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    please rephase

vCash
    Que?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well it was sorta Rugby is the international thing for me and League is the tribal game of my Sydney roots. No preference for one over the other. Recent events have taken the shine off Rugby for the time being.

PS. NickNat singing the Fiji anthem pre game was a good look.
    Traitor?

vCash
    Ill admit im trying to get into league but the speed in which they recycle the ball is slower than the underrage 8's playing at Larkhill stadium.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast