Thread: WA State Sevens Championships 2017

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

WA State Sevens Championships 2017

A great day at the sevens today.

The venue was hard to find, unless you were very familiar with the Western suburbs, but I eventually got there after an hour and a half on the road from Melville.

Anyway, a well and efficiently run Tournament, as usual. All games started on time, food and drink (no alcohol) was available and very good, parking was ample, the refereeing was consistent, the grounds were in good condition, the weather held out, and only a curmudgeon could find anything to seriously fault.

The Curtin Goats won the social grade, beating Fresh number 85 team (I'd love to have the contract supplying all of Fresh's playing kits) and were in raptures afterwards, singing a song which appeared to be about a goat and a pound of butter, but I couldn't be sure. Good luck to Curtin, they earned their win.

Aranmore women beat KK's women's outfit in a very willing game. At this level women's rugby can be a hard and as skilful as men's. Congratulations to both teams.

I missed seeing the colts final due to an appointment with a very enjoyable hamburger, so I can't tell you the results.

The main mens Comp. was divided into 2 pools of 4 teams each. The winner of pool A then had to play the runner up of pool B and the winner of pool B was to play the runner up of pool A . The results at the end of the pool games were Palmyra 1, Fresh37 2 in pool A, and Cottesloe 1, Associates 2 in pool B.

At this point I observed the lowest level of poor sportsmanship I have ever witnessed from a rugby club. As soon as the pool results were announced (that Associates had to play Palmyra in the semi final), Soaks folded their tent and churlishly stole away and out of the tournament, leaving it to Fresh 49 to take their place against Pally. Draw your own conclusions.

Anyway Palmyra and Cottesloe won their semi's and met in the final in what was a hard fought battle from which Palmyra came out winners by a couple of trys. Both teams are likely to meet again next weekend in the Singapore Cricket Club sevens.

Palmyra remained undefeated though all three tournaments of the Spring Sevens, and won the series and the prize money of $2250, which will go towards making the Singapore trip all the more enjoyable.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that $2250 will probably buy you at least 2 bottles of Vino in Singapore,Fulvio!

vCash
    Maybe Soaks knew they were on a hiding to nothing Fulvio?

Champion
    vCash
    Good positive post Fulvio, the no alcohol thing obviously played a major part in this. I vote all clubs to keep the bar closed when they play Paly.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    I'll let you into a little secret, BDG, I'm teetotal, have been for some years now, and am President of the Melville Chapter of the Temperance League.

As part of our drive to preach the virtues of abstention, we hold weekly meetings, usually in church or community halls around the metro area, where we spread the word, and warn people of the horrors and depth of depravity to which the abuse of alcohol can lead.

We have been fortunate to date to have had the assistance of a Melville local, David, a poor hopeless alcoholic who, despite everyone's best efforts continues to drink excessively.

David sits on the dias at our meetings, leers lecherously at the ladies, burps, farts, dribbles, falls off his stool, and shouts incoherent abuse, all the while guzzling from a bottle of cheap sherry, often wetting himself for all to see.

Our lecturers hold him out as a warning and example of what alcohol can lead you to.

Unfortunately, last month David passed away.

I was wondering whether, if we paid your transport expenses, you would be willing to take his place?

vCash
    Andrew, it takes more courage to take that hiding, than to insult the tournament hosts.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I'll let you into a little secret, BDG, I'm teetotal, have been for some years now, and am President of the Melville Chapter of the Temperance League.

As part of our drive to preach the virtues of abstention, we hold weekly meetings, usually in church or community halls around the metro area, where we spread the word, and warn people of the horrors and depth of depravity to which the abuse of alcohol can lead.

We have been fortunate to date to have had the assistance of a Melville local, David, a poor hopeless alcoholic who, despite everyone's best efforts continues to drink excessively.

David sits on the dias at our meetings, leers lecherously at the ladies, burps, farts, dribbles, falls off his stool, and shouts incoherent abuse, all the while guzzling from a bottle of cheap sherry, often wetting himself for all to see.

Our lecturers hold him out as a warning and example of what alcohol can lead you to.

Unfortunately, last month David passed away.

I was wondering whether, if we paid your transport expenses, you would be willing to take his place?

'fraid not,Fulvio-the wembley chapter have first dibs on me!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Maybe Soaks knew they were on a hiding to nothing Fulvio?
    They didn't look too scared in the semi final or the last comp round match playing proper 15 aside rugby that people actually care about.(muffled laughter)

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Yawn.