Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hodgo one more game!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hodgo one more game!

Retired Western Force skipper Matt Hodgson is set to join Quade Cooper in Alan Jones' Barbarians squad to face the Wallabies in Sydney at the end of the month.
    And the Barbarians side will pay homage to the Force, who have been banished from Super Rugby, by donning the doomed franchise's socks instead of the usual tradition in which players wear the colours of their individual club.
    ADVERTISEMENT

As the Senate inquiry continues into the Australian Rugby Union's handling of Super Rugby's reduction to 15 teams, Jones told ESPN of his desire to remind Force players "they matter".
    EDITOR'S PICKS

• Forrest called ARU's bluff on cash injection

The Australian Rugby Union's rejection of billionaire Andrew Forrest's $50 million offer to save the Western Force was a backflip that came weeks after it told him such a figure would save the club, a Senate inquiry has heard.

Originally cagey in who would join Cooper in the black and white come October 28, Jones did confirm Hodgson's place and the Grand Slam-winning coach remains hopeful of securing a number of fringe Wallabies, too. ESPN understands a prominent Brumbies forward will also suit up for the Barbarians.
    In an ironic twist, Hodgson captained the Wallabies when they last faced the Barbarians in 2014, a game that was Michael Cheika's first as Australia coach.
    "I will tell you one thing, I want Matt Hodgson playing and he will play," Jones told ESPN. "And I'd like to think that young players like Billy Meakes, and those sorts of players, will get a Guernsey...but whether Michael [Cheika] now is going to say 'well, now I might pull him back'. So this has been a very difficult process I can assure you."
    As is always the case with Barbarians sides, bringing a team together from a number of different clubs in less than a week won't be easy. But Jones plans to keep things relatively simple, which is one of the reasons he pushed hard for Cooper to play -- a move he says was cleared back as early as Bledisloe I.

Quade Cooper in action for Brisbane City in the NRC Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images"Now I know there was a lot of publicity last week about Quade and Quade mightn't be released and so on; now I would never choose a Wallaby without discussing it first with the Wallaby coach. That wouldn't be proper," Jones told ESPN.
    "I discussed this with Michael on the eve of that last Bledisloe Cup Test here [in Sydney] and he indicated to me that Quade would be free and therefore I rang Quade and so on. So I don't know what all that hoopla was about. But there are other people in his [Cheika's] squad [that could play].
    "Now it may well be that with his big match against the All Blacks on the Saturday previous and another match [Japan in Tokyo] which I sure think he could do without, after he plays us, that he [Cheika] may sort of rearrange things there and therefore there will be some players that we won't have. But I'm hopeful of giving young players a real chance."
    The match between the Wallabies and Barbarians at Allianz Stadium has been dubbed "your match" with fans earlier this year picking the kick-off time among several other polls. Jones hoped the afternoon encounter would inspire some positivity for rugby in Australia after a turbulent year off the field, headed by the Force's dumping from Super Rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash

One more go for Hodgo

Hodgo is going to play for Alan Jones and the Barbarians.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...n-force-homage

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Ah great news..

vCash
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Pocock being named in the Barbarians as there aren't many prominent Brumbies forwards outside of the Wallabies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Pocock being named in the Barbarians as there aren't many prominent Brumbies forwards outside of the Wallabies.
    Followed by an announcement he will be returning to the Force for the IPRC.

vCash
    Why would you bother playing 2 fetchers against the Wallabies, Billy Meakes and Michael Ruru could dish up the Wallabies forwards on a platter, Hodgo in would make Pocock a complete luxury.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee I don’t know Pocock, Hodgo and McCalman all played in the same back row with the Force to good effect. Good way to slow the ball down, reduce Genias effectiveness and put the wallabies centres on the back foot.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Them three v Hooper, McMahon and Hannigan lol

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Its Sam Carter...

vCash
    It said PROMINENT forwards

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Well I'm gunna go back on my word for just one match and watch this one. Definitely going for baa baas.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well I'm gunna go back on my word for just one match and watch this one. Definitely going for baa baas.
    Come to Sydney - we can have beers..........

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Gee I don’t know Pocock, Hodgo and McCalman all played in the same back row with the Force to good effect. Good way to slow the ball down, reduce Genias effectiveness and put the wallabies centres on the back foot.
    OK, let's think about this for a second.

Pocock, Hodgson and McCalman are a world class back row, but when you add Mick Ruru and Billy Meakes into the mix, that's five bodies who are looking to (and effective at) ripping the ball out of the ruck. They are up against seagull, nobody and a child, they're just going to get in each other's way!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Come to Sydney - we can have beers..........
    6 and the supp on Saturday and you're on and I'll buy the beers - for all Force supporters who lob.
    5 and the supp and you buy the beers X.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Might have to find a bar in Honolulu to watch this...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast