Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hodgson confident ARU will back Indo Pacific Rugby Championship

vCash
    ^^^^ this

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    [QUOTE=GIGS20;450267]Your complaint might be based upon a misunderstanding of her intent. The talks may actually be going "fantastic" from their point of view. Minderoo are on the back foot, Twiggy hasn't yet taken a nuclear option and IPRC is not running anytime soon. I'm pretty sure Rat's Arse would consider that to be fantastic.
    [QUOTE]

I'm struggling with why the ARU/RA aren't being more cooperative. From the way I see things there are only 3 ways this could pan out:
    1) After 2020 there's a limited Trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition, which has only limited appeal and even less future. New Zealanders will have more interest in their local competitions, and South Africa, Argentina, and Japan will pull out.
    2) They support the IPRC, which incorporates the growth and huge potential of rugby in the Asia Pacific region. It has the potential to be the biggest sporting event on the global rugby calendar. Australian rugby will have the opportunity to be the driving force for this growth, and the centre of operations. The financial rewards from this hugely popular competition ensure the future growth in popularity and ongoing commercial success of rugby in Australia.
    3) Jack Ma runs with the IPRC idea but it's centred in China, with no input from Australia or New Zealand at all.

Only one of those options makes any sense to me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Only one of those options makes any sense to me...
    Cameron Clyne would prefer option 4, piss about and make life difficult for IPRC until twiggy gets the shits and moves on, then swoop in after super rugby is dead and use all the groundwork to build a competition they own. Clyne will never be a part of something he can't manipulate.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I sometimes wonder whether Clyne is a psychopath. It seems to me that anything that is not his idea - however obvious its benefits are to everyone else - is pathologically an anathema to him and he will do whatever it takes to make sure it fails and he retains supreme power.

Last edited by Alison; 17-01-18 at 11:47.
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Apropos of nothing in particular, an interesting read: http://blog.aim.com.au/organisationa...-enemy-within/

vCash
    De Clyne doesn't have a lot of emotions either.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Apropos of nothing in particular, an interesting read: http://blog.aim.com.au/organisationa...-enemy-within/
    Read one or more of the books about the Enron and WorldCom sagas.
    Read one or more of the books about the collapses of Bear and Lehman.

Isn't banker a synonym for psychopath?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Read one or more of the books about the Enron and WorldCom sagas.
    Read one or more of the books about the collapses of Bear and Lehman.

Isn't banker a synonym for psychopath?
    Look up Fred the Shred Goodwin. Former CEO of RBS when they were nationalised and took a huge pay out. There was such anger that his vehicle were trashed. He eventually handed it back. Pitchforks still works.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Cameron Clyne would prefer option 4, piss about and make life difficult for IPRC until twiggy gets the shits and moves on, then swoop in after super rugby is dead and use all the groundwork to build a competition they own. Clyne will never be a part of something he can't manipulate.
    Totally agree. I'm sure that the idea of running with the IPRC themselves will be on the ARU's radar, but I just don't think they have the capability to pull something like the IPRC off. And I can't believe they could truly think they would have the capability to pull it off either. But then again big egos often do strange things.

The IPRC is a fantastic idea, but for Australia to be involved the only chance has to happen now. If the IPRC stalls (for whatever reason) I'm sure someone else in another country will follow up with the concept. And if that happens it's unlikely Australia's involvement would be required, let alone have any input into the way the competition is run (or any revenue from it).

vCash
    Wouldn't it be a shame to see the administration of World Series Rugby get moved elsewhere due to the belligerence of Rugby Australia.

I'm sure that there would be significant tax advantages in having the HQ for WSR located off shore...

It will be interesting to see what unfolds for 2019.

Andrew Forrest may bypass Rugby Australia to get World Series approval

Wayne Smith - The Australian - April 30, 2018

The Western Force’s billionaire backer Andrew Forrest is considering going offshore to get permission for his Asia-wide World Series Rugby concept if Rugby Australia does not come to the party — and, curiously, Rugby Australia may help him do so.

WSR will kick off at nib Stadium in Perth on Friday night when the “new” Western Force side, the one that has risen from the ashes of the axed Super Rugby franchise, will take on Fiji in a match that Forrest confidently predicts will attract the biggest audience for a non-Test match in Australia over the past two years. Already 10,000 tickets have been sold and indications are the walk-up crowd could match that number.

But while Rugby Australia has authorised that match and the string of other Force games this season — against Samoa, Tonga, Hong Kong, the Crusaders, Rebels and a leading Japanese team — Forrest is annoyed that RA still has not given its endorsement to WSR Stage 2, which will see his concept spread throughout Asia.

“If the vice-chairman (of RA, Brett Robinson) is terrified of competition and doesn’t see the collective benefit of building up the game and increasing the critical mass of the game, he will probably keep his foot on the throat of approval,” Forrest told The Australian.

The widespread understanding was that RA endorsement was vital to the success of the WSR project because, without it, World Rugby would withhold support. But Forrest disputed that assessment.

“You cannot be sure of that. You need approval of a new team. But the Western Force has been going for ages. It’s a brand new question with a new series. A new series can be sanctioned by Hong Kong or Singapore or anywhere, or even by World Rugby itself.”

There is no question World Rugby vigorously supports the concept of expanding into the Asia-Pacific and indeed has indicated to Rugby Australia it is prepared to put in a significant sum to fund the participation of Tonga and Samoa in an expanded National Rugby Championship, much as it did last year with the Fijian Drua side.

With the NRC about to be launched in August with a Sydney and NSW Country side, Brisbane and Queensland Country, the Western Force, the Canberra Vikings and Melbourne Rising, along with the Fijians, the addition of Tonga and Samoa would give the competition added international prestige and increasingly lead to the competition forming the basis of a post-2020 broadcast deal involving New Zealand’s ITM Cup. Indeed, if South Africa decides to head north, it could form the basis of a new trans-Tasman competition involving New Zealand.

None of that appeals to Forrest, however, who is determined to run a stand-alone competition. But if he decides to look to one of his Asian partners to provide legitimacy to WSR, it may well be RA would be prepared to assist him.

“If that was what Andrew wanted to do, I’m sure we wouldn’t want to get in his way,” (What absolute BS) Robinson said. “But it then creates a whole raft of other questions … what was the intention, is it about creating pathways for Wallabies or about building a rebel competition.

“We’ve been open to understanding what the future of the WSR looks like but we haven’t been provided with details. We flew to Perth in March to sign off on everything they wanted so we could get out of their way and not be accused of being a roadblock.”

Indeed, far from being an obstructionist, Robinson has wished Forrest well for the opening night of WSR and accepted an invitation to attend the match in Perth.

Forrest, meanwhile, was adamant that the crowd on Friday would not be confined to rugby diehards wanting to see the game return to Perth.

“It’s new people as well as old, people who have never been to a rugby game before. Their parents may have been rugby tragics but they themselves have all drifted away to soccer or hockey or football. These are the people who will be coming to this game,” he said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp....7c7270898863ee

vCash
    “But it then creates a whole raft of other questions … what was the intention, is it about creating pathways for Wallabies or about building a rebel competition.
    It is about finding the Force a competition to play in you dope. Something that you failed drastically at doing.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That line is Brett Robinson doing his job, sounding as reasonable as he possibly can whilst not giving an inch in the battle to kill IPRC and the force.

He said they'd do everything they can to assist wsr in setting up an offshore headquarters but he has also said he'd do everything he can to endorse the competition.

He presented 50 demands which would make the competition unsustainable over endorsement then told twiggy he was being obstructionist when he didn't accept a deal that ould kill the competition. Let's see if he's Cleve enough to not use exactly the same strategy over the next move

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That line is Brett Robinson doing his job, sounding as reasonable as he possibly can whilst not giving an inch in the battle to kill IPRC and the force.

He said they'd do everything they can to assist wsr in setting up an offshore headquarters but he has also said he'd do everything he can to endorse the competition.

He presented 50 demands which would make the competition unsustainable over endorsement then told twiggy he was being obstructionist when he didn't accept a deal that ould kill the competition. Let's see if he's Cleve enough to not use exactly the same strategy over the next move
    and werent RA only offering 2 years of endorsement?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    and werent RA only offering 2 years of endorsement?
    That was one of the many conditions designed specifically to kill investment, I also heard of an exorbitant "licensing fee" in an attempt to get Twiggys 70 million without saving the force. The real story is that they will continue obstruction and you can see twiggy is getting pissed, for the first time in this whole saga, he's issued a personal challenge and basically caleed Brett Robinson gutless. He hasn't even done that to Clyne. (preferring to use the term the chairman)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Forget RA. Go direct to world rugby or via hong kong.
    On another note I wonder if there will be some more UK players looking for teams? Pre game chat before Wasps game last night seemed to indicate there are
    some financial problems with most teams apart from Exeter

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast