Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Premiership 2018

vCash
    We have always really enjoyed going to local club games -nothing better than watching some good ol honest rugby being played on a nice sunny arvo (or rugged up to the max in rain) with a few drinks & the local clubs snack specialty & listening to the bargie. We have only been spectators, but have always appreciated the amount of work that all those club volunteers do behind the scenes without expecting any limelight, kudos or applause to make it happen. Many times I've preferred the club games to some of the stress of watching the Force play. So we're quite happy to continue going along, and look forward to some new formats while we wait for next August.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    We have always really enjoyed going to local club games -nothing better than watching some good ol honest rugby being played on a nice sunny arvo (or rugged up to the max in rain) with a few drinks & the local clubs snack specialty & listening to the bargie. We have only been spectators, but have always appreciated the amount of work that all those club volunteers do behind the scenes without expecting any limelight, kudos or applause to make it happen. Many times I've preferred the club games to some of the stress of watching the Force play. So we're quite happy to continue going along, and look forward to some new formats while we wait for next August.
    Theres always the option of taking a couple of folding chairs down the local club, putting $20 into the canteen or bar and just watching some rugby while leaving the politicking to those who are into that.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    What's going on here?

Has Darkness come into the light?

We appear to be seeing the new, improved, sanitized version.

Although I'll really believe it when the troll sign over his posts is removed ....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Although I'll really believe it when the troll sign over his posts is removed ....
    I have vague memories of offering to remove it, but it being retained as a badge of honour...

Darkness?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    You'll make money if you get on Winx mate

Not a lot, I concede, but you'll not lose.
    Did you get on?
    She won again

Champion
    vCash
    I like the new format due to the following reasoning.The game has stagnated due to a very high concentration of premier clubs within a very small catchment area and the real growth area's are in the outer suburbs. Every club is now going to have to work a lot harder to attract and retain player's instead of resting on your laurels each season and that can only be a positive outcome for overall player numbers.

I think the real number of clubs playing premier rugby next season will be no more than 14 with Championship club's forced to amalgamate through player number necessity or drop down to social grade.

A top 7 and bottom 7 comp means each week is going to be do or die and the second round will be even more competitive because you can't afford to drop any more than 2 or 3 games or you won't be playing finals rugby in your respective division.

You will get the odd blow out but then we got the odd blow out last season in premier grade anyway and in the second round at least you will be playing teams of roughly the same calibre.
    Clubs like Arks, Mandurah, Southern Lions then get to play clubs that haven't enjoyed much premier success lately like Baysie, Palmyra etc.

It will give every club's juniors something to strive for and that should be the main focus.

It means club's are going to have to invest a lot more time and resources into player and coaching development because everyone's ambition will be to make the top division and then it starts all over again instead of just doing enough to make top 4 and then cruise mode till finals.

The one major downside that I can see is Championship club's ability or lack of to field 3 teams each and every week. The attrition rate playing the top club's will be a lot more than what they would be used to and I hope they have contingency plans which is code for amalgamate in place to ensure they have player numbers to combat this because existing premier clubs won't put up with their 3rd grade copping defaults every week. A prime example is Wests first grade used 38 different players last season and midseason just limped through to put teams out.

There will be a hiccup or two next season but my personal opinion is that it is the best way forward to grow and make the game stronger in this town.

Bus/piss trips to Mandurah are an added bonus.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I like the new format due to the following reasoning.The game has stagnated due to a very high concentration of premier clubs within a very small catchment area and the real growth area's are in the outer suburbs. Every club is now going to have to work a lot harder to attract and retain player's instead of resting on your laurels each season and that can only be a positive outcome for overall player numbers.

I think the real number of clubs playing premier rugby next season will be no more than 14 with Championship club's forced to amalgamate through player number necessity or drop down to social grade.

A top 7 and bottom 7 comp means each week is going to be do or die and the second round will be even more competitive because you can't afford to drop any more than 2 or 3 games or you won't be playing finals rugby in your respective division.

You will get the odd blow out but then we got the odd blow out last season in premier grade anyway and in the second round at least you will be playing teams of roughly the same calibre.
    Clubs like Arks, Mandurah, Southern Lions then get to play clubs that haven't enjoyed much premier success lately like Baysie, Palmyra etc.

It will give every club's juniors something to strive for and that should be the main focus.

It means club's are going to have to invest a lot more time and resources into player and coaching development because everyone's ambition will be to make the top division and then it starts all over again instead of just doing enough to make top 4 and then cruise mode till finals.

The one major downside that I can see is Championship club's ability or lack of to field 3 teams each and every week. The attrition rate playing the top club's will be a lot more than what they would be used to and I hope they have contingency plans which is code for amalgamate in place to ensure they have player numbers to combat this because existing premier clubs won't put up with their 3rd grade copping defaults every week. A prime example is Wests first grade used 38 different players last season and midseason just limped through to put teams out.

There will be a hiccup or two next season but my personal opinion is that it is the best way forward to grow and make the game stronger in this town.

Bus/piss trips to Mandurah are an added bonus.
    There is a lot to agree with in this post, Westies Man.

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see some positive sentiments Westie.

We should have a pretty good idea of teams and clubs mid next week. Champ clubs; Southern Lions, ARKS, Mandurah and Rocky are very keen to field 3 teams. We have explained about the long season and attrition rate and we will need to try and put in some yards to help them out. I think Curtin and Perth Irish will field 2 teams, but I agree with you - the one team clubs may or may not fill the 3rd team gap with Curtin and Perth Irish - so in 2018 a realistic chance of 2 or 3 byes which we will need to try and fill in advance. If we get pretty accurate numbers as early as possible, we can chat with other clubs and stakeholders and fill the byes.

We have had so many unaffiliated fans keen to help, I really believe we can raise the enjoyment level for players to stick with their teams.

One area which would be good to exploit is get as many anecdotes, photos and stories into Social Media and there are a few folk keen to help in that area for each club.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I have vague memories of offering to remove it, but it being retained as a badge of honour...

Darkness?
    Its your website so you can do what you want with it. Some of your so-called moderators are biased and manipulate people's profiles or delete posts if they disagree with a particular view. You seem to be straight down the middle.

Call me what you want as you're pushing the buttons. Neddies Troll is preferable if you insist on calling me a troll.

I note that Westie and Hansie have Champion status. I would like to be a higher rank than them. Someone told me that Internet Troll was the highest rank possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I note that Westie and Hansie have Champion status. I would like to be a higher rank than them. Someone told me that Internet Troll was the highest rank possible.
    Those statuses (Statii?) are purely reflective of the number of posts. I think you're about 1000 posts short of Champion

C'mon the

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Those statuses (Statii?) are purely reflective of the number of posts. I think you're about 1000 posts short of Champion
    Not if you combine all of the posts from all of the names I post under!

I'm sure Darren has the power to override the status setting.

Is there one called "Absolute Fricking Legend"?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    we will have to rename you lunchtime,in that case

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Good to see some positive sentiments Westie.

We should have a pretty good idea of teams and clubs mid next week. Champ clubs; Southern Lions, ARKS, Mandurah and Rocky are very keen to field 3 teams. We have explained about the long season and attrition rate and we will need to try and put in some yards to help them out. I think Curtin and Perth Irish will field 2 teams, but I agree with you - the one team clubs may or may not fill the 3rd team gap with Curtin and Perth Irish - so in 2018 a realistic chance of 2 or 3 byes which we will need to try and fill in advance. If we get pretty accurate numbers as early as possible, we can chat with other clubs and stakeholders and fill the byes.

We have had so many unaffiliated fans keen to help, I really believe we can raise the enjoyment level for players to stick with their teams.

One area which would be good to exploit is get as many anecdotes, photos and stories into Social Media and there are a few folk keen to help in that area for each club.
    Heard that Perth Irish approached Palmyra with a proposal to have Paly's reserve grade side play as their 1st grade. That is a ridiculous idea and shows that Perth Irish have no realistic plan in place to play a part in next seasons comp. Was also talking to a Curtin stalwart a few weeks back and his words were something along the lines of 'We don't have the player numbers or quality to play at that level'.

Those two clubs should be forced to amalgamate or go to social grade.

Kwinana should merge with ARKS and call themselves Armadale-Roleystone- Kwinana=ARKS.

Rockingham/Mandurah/Bunbury to combine and call themselves Peel. If they can't put aside differences from a bygone era piss all the old fucks off and start with a new breed that has the best interests of their kids at heart.

Swan goes to Baysie.

Southern Lions has the infrastructure to go it alone.
    Total 14 clubs that can put at least 3 teams out each week and in just about all case's 4 or even 5 side's

Last edited by westies man; 08-10-17 at 17:55.
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash

I'm sure Darren has the power to override the status setting.

Is there one called "Absolute Fricking Legend"?
    Dear old Rumour Monger had a fair few posts up his sleeve, anyway I think Darkness should nominate himself as a moderator to gain the power he craves

vCash
    I guess that is one of the costs of your strategy then.

Don't most of your stable spend most of their posts supporting each other? if that's the case, surely you would have to divide the total post count by the number of accounts?

Not knockin the strategy, ust sayin you should be OK with the costs of implementin it.

C'mon the

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast