Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Premiership 2018

vCash
    Great post Kala, but Reason C and Reason G are mutually exclusive aren't they?

And your comment about reason D "Professional rugby supports club rugby ... RugbyRoos" made me realise how little of that went on in the ARU days.

Twiggy is now writing contracts which lock the professional players in to an amount of community rugby involvement. I hope to god that playing for a club isn't counted in the 350....playing rugby for a club should be part of the psyche of a professional athlete, not a mandated condition of employment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Twiggy is now writing contracts which lock the professional players in to an amount of community rugby involvement. I hope to god that playing for a club isn't counted in the 350....playing rugby for a club should be part of the psyche of a professional athlete, not a mandated condition of employment.
    I hope so too, but even if it does, and a match is counted as 2 hours, they won't be playing 175 matches a year. The 350 hours would have to include time spent at the club in training, encouraging the other club players in training, teaching what it takes to be a professional (nutrition, work ethics, etc). This should rub off on the locals at the club, and cascade down to the juniors, kids, etc.

So even if a player tries to do as little as possible within those 350 hours, simply them being around the clubhouse should have benefits to the club (as long as they're not getting pissed and starting fights!)

I can imagine that for players like Fourie, mid-30s and maybe looking at a last payday, he'd have a wealth of knowledge, stories, tips, etc which any club would be grateful for. [Now cue the scramble for IPRC players and complaints that they all go to the purple circle clubs!]

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    That's a good point Sheikh.

I'd really want to see them do a lot of work with the juniors. I get that they provide added value to the elite pathway candidates in a club, but the PR value of having K-Bomb holding the tackle bags for under 11s is simply massive. Every kid who hits that bag wants to grow up to be like him!

If he does it in Rockingham, so he can add the "local junior" tag to it, he could build a cult following like Taf's easily.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    So why is "dipstick" OK then?
    In the absence of an answer I'm going to assume biased moderating.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought "dipstick" was a term of endearment?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I thought "dipstick" was a term of endearment?
    Rodney Trotter didn't think so. First place I heard it mentioned.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yeah,nah,Rodney was a "plonker"

vCash
    Lovely jubbly!

vCash
    So can Minderoo get a trademark or copyright "Sea of Blue" and acquire the infamous IP and put it to good use ...?

I would personally suggest it's a little more familiar to locals than Rise Up. There's people out there already with it emblazoned over t-shirts and it kinda works for rugby in WA, lets use it instead of bleating about what it is ...

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

vCash
    Back on topic ...

Premiership Club announcement HERE

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

vCash
    Old news

vCash
    That has been known for a while although maybe this is just making it nice and official. However one question I have is how hosting will work - will Rockingham and Mandurah split home games between the two clubs or will one be the "host" club? Couldn't be good for takings for at least one of the clubs either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Well organised day by Southern Lions ,just a shame it wasn't supported by more clubs, seems to be the usual suspects that always enters these types of events and the same clubs that don't ever seem to bother to make an effort for whatever reason.
    I heard only 2 or 3 premier grade clubs are heading down to Busselton this weekend?

Champion
    vCash
    Good questions Beige.

Firstly I want to say, we think it is absolutely sensational the two clubs have agreed to combine players for season 2018 and therefore put 3 teams on the paddock, expose their players to the rest of the competition, use the experience to go back independently in 2019 or later, ensure that there are sufficient players to cover the mid season injury drop off in numbers, so, congratulations to both clubs.

RugbyWA now needs to work with and help the clubs with respect to hosting games and helping make it work. We have some ideas and plans that we have and will continue to put to the clubs, but at the end of the day, they will need to make the final decision.

Well done to all members at both clubs - awesome stuff.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I heard only 2 or 3 premier grade clubs are heading down to Busselton this weekend?
    Wanneroo, Wests, UWA and Paly at the moment. Word on the street is that it may change.

A bit of a crap turnout of support by the clubs, in comparison to the previous 2 years.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast