Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Spirit vs Fiji Drua

Champion
    vCash
    45 minute 1st half, 37 min second half aside, some crackers by the Drua saw them home. Some good signs from the academy and club players for the Spirit but Fiji defence held tough and built the win for the Drua. Good sized crowd, dribble for commentary and onto next match.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Relating a TMO call through an AR is not ideal. To the point where I wonder if the decision was accurate.
    A bit of coaching for the local, Sir knew the outcome (I think )

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't believe it that when 30 Aussies are out of work the ARU are encouraging a precious spot in each team to be taken by a Fijian
    Maybe Suva is closer to st Leonard's than Perth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    SPIRIT OUTCLASSED BY DRUA IN SUVA

The Road Safety Perth Spirit have been outplayed by a dominant Fijian Drua side 41-5 in their clash at ANZ National Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

In a top of the table clash, the home side dominated from start to finish, with the Spirit side unable to capitalise on chances. The Fijian’s ran in four first half tries whilst holding the Spirit scoreless in a disappointing display from the men in black and gold.

Spirit captain Michael Ruru lamented the chances missed, however believed his side was outmuscled in every facet of the game.

“What can you say I guess,” he said. “Full credit to Fiji, they are a class outfit particularly in the home backyard.”

“We didn’t win the battle up front, you can’t give Fiji a start like that, but we let ourselves down in the contact area

“They wanted it more, you could see the way they pounced on the loose ball.”

It took the Fiji Drua more than 15 minutes to open the scoring to begin the fixture with both sides giving up chances early, before scrumhalf Frank Lomani charged over from close range.

The number nine grabbed the ball from a powerful scrum before running the short side to be untouched, as the home side struck first.

Moment later Apisalome Waqatabu doubled the Drua lead with a fantastic set play from a lineout. Eroni Vasiteri broke the Spirit’s line, before his offload found Waqatabu for an easy five pointer.

Peni Raidre then made it three tries in seven minutes, with Lomani turning the ball over before kicking into space. Raidre chased hard before taking a pick and go from the base of the ruck to dive over from close range.

The Spirit had their chances with lock Richie Arnold spilling the ball over the line in a costly error, before Fiji once again capitalised late in the half.

The Drua swung the ball wide from a scrum set piece, with winger John Stewart clinging onto the last pass to glide over with ease, as his Fiji side went to the break 24 points up.

Waqatabu continued the momentum after the break, with the Drua earning a penalty at the breakdown, before converting with ease to extend the lead past 27 points.

Filimoni Seru added another for Fiji shortly after with a terrific team try from the home side. A cross-field kick spilt the way of the Drua, before Seru pounced on the ball and charged over the line.

Isi Naisarani added some respectability for the Spirit late in the piece, with the Fijian born number eight crossing over down the left-hand side with ease.

Stewart, however, finished the game off on the Drua’s terms with the winger making it a double after turning the ball over and putting in a kick and chase, to fly over, completing a great performance from his side.

The Spirit now return to Perth and prepare to face two-time champions Brisbane City on Sunday, 1 October.

vCash
    Proud of the guys- we lost against a big muscled Fijian national side. A great learning curve for the club newbies on some real hard rugby after a long travel trip. Some pretty unfortunate dropped balls I guess the climate conditions kicked in, but some good stuff and they never stopped trying on tired legs. Kicking away was probably silly, but no point killing all our players with a bit of a way to go yet. And we're not BOTTOM of the ladder like some I could mention.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jeez the Drua played well, and so did we. ...anyone else and we would have been in. Well played Drua. Wish you were all in Super Rugby

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I hope we get a rematch as the final Perth Spirit VVVV Fijian Drua Just to stick it up the ARU

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the difference was that the miracle passes that stuck last week didn't stick this week.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Dura, a great win, well deserved. Piggies looked a little flat in contact and with ball handling. Looking forward to next week for the game against Brisbane City.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I think the difference was that the miracle passes that stuck last week didn't stick this week.
    One of the clear differences was in the centres, missed Meakes and Rona, saying that with no disrespect to Tarawa and Brache but there is a monstrous gap between these two combinations. But I also believe that we were nowhere near physical enough.

vCash
    Actually may have mixed the weeks up when it came to alternating the players.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Maybe the Spirit were under orders from the ARU/King Cheika NOT to field Rona and Meakes as they are needed for the Wallabies squad this weekend and must not get injured?!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Maybe the Spirit were under orders from the ARU/King Cheika NOT to field Rona and Meakes as they are needed for the Wallabies squad this weekend and must not get injured?!
    The Wallaby squad was reported to fly out on Saturday, so they couldn't play, and probably won't be available for the next couple of weeks, either.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5