Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Super rugby draw 2018

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    For 2017 (15 games):

The Brumbies travelled ~52,000km, the Force ~65,000km, the Rebels ~44,000km, the Reds ~63,000km, and the Waratahs ~45,000km.

This year we played the Africa 2 conference (Kings, Lions, Sharks, Jaguars). Teams which played 2 home and 3 away NZ teams last year had it reversed, and the Force and Rebels had 8 home and 7 away games, while the other Australian sides had 7 home and 8 away.

The Rebels played 2 teams in SA and 2 in NZ (in separate trips).
    The Tahs played 2 teams in SA and 3 in NZ (in 2 trips).
    The Brumbies did a 2-week tour of SA & Argentina. They also played 3 in NZ (in separate trips).
    The Reds did a 2-week tour of SA & Argentina. They also played 3 NZ teams in separate trips, one match being in Samoa.
    The Force did a 2-week tour of SA & Argentina and a 2-week tour of NZ, plus 3 separate cross-country trips.

Doing a SA & Argentina round trip is ~32,000km, as opposed to trips to SA which are ~16,500km from Perth or 22,000km from the East Coast, so the Force's travel increased by ~16,000km between 2015 & 2017, and the Brumbies by 10,000km between 2015 & 2017.

The kicker for the Force is that in 2016 the Rebels, Tahs and Force travelled to Tokyo while in 2017 the Brumbies, Reds and Force travelled to Buenos Aires. So we drew the long travel straw for both years. We should have had easier travel schedules for the next two years, as we'd have had the Sunwolves and Jaguars at home.
    So we managed to tough it out whilst doing the most travelling (and by a consideravle margin too) around the world and still came in equal first on wins including shamlessly annihilating the Tahs and Rebels making their squads look like laughing stocks comparable to garbage considering what the ARU does for them with the Wallaby top ups which handicap the salary caps. And now when it is our turn to have it easy they toss "us" into the garbage bin despite being one of their best performing sides and having a financial backer and sponsor capable of bankrolling their existance untill atleast the next broadcasting deal.

This must seriously be one of the shittiest hands to be dealt in all of sport. And our biggest sin is living on the Western half of the country. Great.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Pretty much spot on Spartan! Our other kicker is that none of our board/execs went to school with, or worked with, or did funny handshakes with, or did cushy deals with anyone connected with the ARU.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I make it about 13,000 extra kilometres for the entire Australian conference over the 2015 season (assuming that byes were taken at home base, couldn't be arsed figuring out the tours etc)

That would mean that my numbers are a worst-case scenario....numbers are squishy, because I just got distances off google maps, but used the same distances for each year, so would be a pretty good ballpark figure.

Basically it's one extra trip from about Bloem to Tokyo.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I make it about 13,000 extra kilometres for the entire Australian conference over the 2015 season (assuming that byes were taken at home base, couldn't be arsed figuring out the tours etc)

That would mean that my numbers are a worst-case scenario....numbers are squishy, because I just got distances off google maps, but used the same distances for each year, so would be a pretty good ballpark figure.

Basically it's one extra trip from about Bloem to Tokyo.
    Did you factor in that there was one game less in 2016 & 2017 than 2015?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Hi all,

If any of you has any spare time on your hands and would like to do some rugby research, I am keen to find out what the travel schedule was like for the 5 Aus SuperRugby teams for the last year of the (original!) Super 15 comp and the first year of the Super 18 comp. Specifically, I'm trying to establish whether it was more burdensome (and therefore more costly) after the expansion to 18 or whether it was more or less the same due to less SA trips or NZ trips etc.

Thanks

A
    Something like this?
    Charts each team's travel over the season game-by-game. Without knowing each team's travel plans I have made some assumptions which I have documented.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Travel Costs based as follows

0 Home Game
    1 From East Coast Australia to East Coast Australia
    OR From NZ to NZ
    2 From East Coast Australia to NZ
    3 From South Africa to South Africa
    4 From East Coast Australia to West Coast Australia
    5 From NZ to West Coast Australia
    6 From South Africa to West Coast Australia
    7 From South Africa to East Coast Australia
    8 From South Africa to NZ

As an example;
    A South African team doing a tour of NZ would have a travel cost over two weeks of 8 + 1
    A NZ Team playing the Reds then Brumbies would be 2 + 2
    A NZ Team Playing the Force then Tahs would be 5 + 2 (I assumed they returned home after the first game)

Average and total travel cost in far Right hand column. No Surprises who had the highest. Happy to do it for Super 18 if this is what you want

Last edited by andrewM; 27-09-17 at 00:45.

vCash
    Bloody hell..just read all the other posts..

Last edited by andrewM; 27-09-17 at 00:57.

vCash
    You are all so amazing, guys! Thank you for your help. :-))

vCash
    Did you factor in that there was one game less in 2016 & 2017 than 2015?
    I made a spreadsheet that looked up a table of values, distance between the various locations and used it to calculate distances travelled each round. The distance was purely previous location to current location with no extra travel due to (for example a bye falling between a game in NZ and a game in SA) or any "extra" trips to home base. It did include an assumption that all byes were spent at home. I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, no Aussie team appeared to travel to Buenos Aires in 2016, I'm wondering whether that got processed out in my shuffling to be rid of the non aussie games.

C'mon the

vCash
    I guess what I'm trying to establish is whether sending teams overseas to play in Arg and Japan in the 18-team comp was more costly overall for Australia than the travel schedule was under S15.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to establish is whether sending teams overseas to play in Arg and Japan in the 18-team comp was more costly overall for Australia than the travel schedule was under S15.
    Would travel have been cheaper than normal and discounted due to the Australian rugby sponsorship arrangements?

I would be interested to know what the ARU actually pays in comparison to an every day traveller.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I made a spreadsheet that looked up a table of values, distance between the various locations and used it to calculate distances travelled each round. The distance was purely previous location to current location with no extra travel due to (for example a bye falling between a game in NZ and a game in SA) or any "extra" trips to home base. It did include an assumption that all byes were spent at home. I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, no Aussie team appeared to travel to Buenos Aires in 2016, I'm wondering whether that got processed out in my shuffling to be rid of the non aussie games.
    That is correct. In 2016 3 Aussie teams travelled to Tokyo, but we didn't play the Jaguars. In 2017 3 Aussie teams travelled to Buenos Aires and no Aussies travelled to Tokyo.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    That is correct. In 2016 3 Aussie teams travelled to Tokyo, but we didn't play the Jaguars. In 2017 3 Aussie teams travelled to Buenos Aires and no Aussies travelled to Tokyo.
    OK, so maybe my numbers are OK then. The other assumption I made was NZ venues, a lot of NZ home games were venue TBA, to I made the assumption that was for the teams to do their regional games, I just used the regular home base. I don't know what a 13,000 km flight would cost for a whole rugby team, but I'd suggest 8 million would be on the extravagant side.

C'mon the

vCash
    Those who worked out our travel distances did you factor in that Perth does not have a direct flight to some of the destinations. From memory I'm pretty sure that when the Force went to Tokyo last year they went via Sydney.

vCash
    Answering my own question, a return ticket from jburg to Buenos Aires (longer than would be needed for any Aussie team) business class with a few months notice comes in at a shade over 4200 bucks assuming about 35 people travel, that's about 150k, the same for accommodation transfers and incidentals would come in at 300k.so, given that it would be made up of many smaller tours and extensions to existing tours, I'd think 1/2 a million in extra touring costs would be appropriate, maybe a million to be generous.

To suggest 8, in the light of my investigation is Preposterous

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Those who worked out our travel distances did you factor in that Perth does not have a direct flight to some of the destinations. From memory I'm pretty sure that when the Force went to Tokyo last year they went via Sydney.
    Nope, nowhere near that sophisticated

C'mon the

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast