Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Wessels

Apprentice
    vCash

Dave Wessels

As a long-time member of the TWF forum, constant reader but only occasional contributor I feel forced to speak up now.
    Dave Wessel’s has signed to coach the Rebels for the next 2 years, - we all know this now. He is probably going to take many of the players, support and coaching staff with him. It has saddened me to read some of the comments criticizing him.
    I too have felt the utter despair, despondency, anger, betrayal and sense of vengeance following the ARU’s decision to revoke the Force’s Super license. I too have wanted to impose a scorched earth policy. But who are we aiming this at – hopefully not some of our own.
    Dave, the players and staff at the Force have been unflinchingly loyal to the very end. And it now is the end (of the beginning). Whatever the senate enquiry finds we, the Force,will not be playing Super rugby next year. The IPC is in its infancy – so players and staff have to now start to look after their own careers and their families future psychological and financial wellbeing. How can we ask them to further sacrifice when they have given us so much? I know the Rebels were cast as our enemy by the ARU, I know there has been plenty of shanigans and probably unethical behavior by people associated with both organizations. But they too were fighting for their survival, like us through no fault of their own.
    Dave Wessels has, in one year as head coach, made me believe again, gave me hope that we could succeed at Super rugby. He has stood firm, helped support and galvanize this group through an impossibly uncertain and difficult year, staying the journey in our fight. He has been loyal to the end. And readers, this is the end of this chapter. I for one do not begrudge him or the players their next move. They have given more than I feel it fair to ask. I for one wish Dave, his family and all that choose to follow him or join other Super teams all the best. Go well, go with my blessing and eternal gratitude, and know that there will always be a place for you guys in Perth – our doors and hearts will always be open to you. Now it may be time to move, but we all hope to meet again soon, and celebrate with with you all once again pulling on our beloved blue jumper so we, the Sea of Blue, can celebrate your home coming.
    I appreciate there will be some of you that may disagree with me, I respect you right to do so but thank you for taking the time to read this post. Go the Force.

19 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Figjam; 30-09-17 at 13:03. Reason: Spelling

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    beautifully written Figjam.

Thank you.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I was saddened but like everyone says he has to look after his career and his family I wish him and his family well. I will not be watching Super Rugby next year so who cares!!!
    Good Luck Dave thanks for the memories and there are plenty to reflect on ....

Go the Force...

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Speaking personally, all my anger and hate is directed solely at the Board and executive directors of the ARU. Everyone else is a victim in all of this and every single one of those directly affected must do whatever is best for them, their careers and their families. Yes it's a bitter pill to swallow. Yes I HATE what's happened. But none of it is anyone's fault but a cabal of morally bankrupt administrators attached to the ARU.

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Figjam, thanks for that.

"Wessels" not "Weasels". As Alison posted, the weasels are in the ARU (and I dare say some in Rebels/VRU camp). For myself, I don't blame the onfield team. I leave that wholly for the offfield team.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Apprentice
    vCash
    Cheers blueandblack, sp error corrected, sorry Dave

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    New Melbourne Rebels coach Dave Wessels stays committed to Western Force
    Nick Taylor

Dave Wessels will return to coach the new “Western Force” in next year’s proposed Indo Pacific Rugby Championship even though he has taken charge of Melbourne Rebels for the next two seasons.
    Now that's interesting
    Despite his pledge, the appointment of one of the Force’s favourite sons has further deepened resentment of the Rebels and the Australian Rugby Union after the Force was axed ahead of the Melbourne club.
    To bloody right it has
    Wounds will be further opened later this month when the Senate inquiry into the future of rugby probes deals between the ARU, the Victorian Government, the Victorian Rugby Union and previous Rebels owner Andrew Cox.
    Now that's interesting too- and bloody right they will. Go Linda

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88614785z

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Despite his pledge, the appointment of one of the Force’s favourite sons has further deepened resentment of the Rebels and the Australian Rugby Union after the Force was axed ahead of the Melbourne club.
    The statement from the ARU on 5 September about the "discontinuation" of the Western Force included the following:
    ARU is also in active discussions with its State and Territory Member Unions about opportunities to provide Rugby content in Western Australia from the 2018 season.
    A mate on the North Shore heard (over a few ciders at The Stoned Crow) that the ARU's game plan in moving part of the Western Force playing list and coaching team to the Rebels may have included leaning on the VRU and other unions to provide either a "home game" or a trial match in Perth, training or coaching sessions in Perth, or some kind of Interstate membership for disenfranchised Western Force supporters - hence the reference to "providing Rugby content in Western Australia from the 2018 season".

The ARU boffins may not have thought about the degree of resentment in Western Australia which would be generated towards the Rebels and Melbourne over the demise of the Western Force.

The above of course is gossip and hearsay.

vCash
    Several of the osts above also summarise how I feel, I hold nothing against Dave and his decision, especially if he chose the Rebels in order to ensure his assistants and players also had a rugby home to go to. That would show great loyalty and honour, which seems to fit with what we know of Dave's character. My anger is directed at he ERU and the appalling way they have treated the Force and WA rugby community - and that seems to be an anger that just won't leave me.

I wish Dave and relocating Force players nothing but the very best, I just can't find it in me to follow them to the Rebels. Similarly I hold no real animosity towards the Rebels players, but I am very suspicious of the role senior VRU people may have played in helping the ERU end the Force.

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Macattack; 30-09-17 at 15:01.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    The statement from the ARU on 5 September about the "discontinuation" of the Western Force....meant the VRU and other unions to provide either a "home game" or a trial match in Perth, training or coaching sessions in Perth, or some kind of Interstate membership for disenfranchised Western Force supporters - hence the reference to "providing Rugby content in Western Australia from the 2018 season....
    Oh yes, after burning my 2006 Force jersey, I will proudly don my new Tahs jersey and fly to Melbourne to support the Wallabies against the Rebels (can't wait to barrack for Phipps, Hooper and Beale instead of Ruru, Dickie and Billy), but I will buy Rebel merchandise and beer because I love their coach and players, and the Rebel culture. Then I will pop up to Brisvegas en route back to Perth to enjoy watching the Brumbies with Bam and Kyle wallop those whipping boys the Reds...unless Bradster can get them firing on more than one cylinder which is expected with four teams. I might also drop into Sydney and say hello to my friends at the ARU, give them some chockies and flowers as thanks for discontinuing the Force.

After getting back to Perth I will notice some Colts at Harvey Park on the way to the beach

Woo hoo, can't wait

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    A mate on the North Shore heard (over a few ciders at The Stoned Crow) that the ARU's game plan in moving part of the Western Force playing list and coaching team to the Rebels may have included leaning on the VRU and other unions to provide either a "home game" or a trial match in Perth, training or coaching sessions in Perth, or some kind of Interstate membership for disenfranchised Western Force supporters - hence the reference to "providing Rugby content in Western Australia from the 2018 season".
    I expect that it would be used as an opportunity for Rebels to do talent spotting over here.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Oh yes, after burning my 2006 Force jersey, I will proudly don my new Tahs jersey and fly to Melbourne to support the Wallabies
    Keeping ALL my Force stuff. I have been in a quandary re my Wallabies gear though. Had thought of dumping it with reception @ St Leonard's, donating it to the Fiji collection, keeping in a box in the shed until we do a phoenix job.....but I've got a major service coming up on the ute. The tranny service is messy. I get the oil pan off and leave it to drain for an hour or two. But whichever way I come at it I always end up with transmission fluid everywhere when I unbolt the bottom filter. Plenty of rags needed,........then I might pack it all up and send them to Moore Park. Dead set.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Keeping ALL my Force stuff. I have been in a quandary re my Wallabies gear though. Had thought of dumping it with reception @ St Leonard's, donating it to the Fiji collection, keeping in a box in the shed until we do a phoenix job.....but I've got a major service coming up on the ute. The tranny service is messy. I get the oil pan off and leave it to drain for an hour or two. But whichever way I come at it I always end up with transmission fluid everywhere when I unbolt the bottom filter. Plenty of rags needed,........then I might pack it all up and send them to Moore Park. Dead set.
    Boxed up all my Force gear today and stashed it in the shed, sick of opening my drawer and seeing it all. Only thing I have out now is the limited print of the first home win, and 2 berts from a melb and Canberra tour.

Champion
    vCash
    I don't resent Dave, he gave us great service over 4 years.

But the fraudsters running the Rebels/ARU screwjob of the Force can go and get fucked.

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I expect that it would be used as an opportunity for Rebels to do talent spotting over here.
    Without a Professional Rugby presence in WA to foster ambition in young players, and with initiatives such as Future Force Foundation and WA Community Rugby probably starved for funds post Western Force, I'd imagine Rugby Union in WA schools and Junior Rugby in WA may take a serious hit in terms of numbers participating.

So any talent spotters from the Rebels and the ARU, if they bother to come to WA at all, will probably be well back in the queue, behind the AFL/WAFL, the NRL and the A-league recruiters.

Can it still be called the Future Force Foundation if there is no Western Force and if the ARU owns the Western Force IP?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast