Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    I wouldn't mind sitting on the hill, drinking a few tigers, a curry puff or two and watching the Force take on the Singapore Lions!
    You know what, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring that franchise name back. Great for brand recognition in Singapore. Wonder if the IPRC and SRU can buy the rights, or get permission to use it?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia View Post
    Everyone needs to stop saying the Cheetahs and Kings were axed. They were not axed they were transferred to a different comp. BIG difference.
    Pity the Rats Arse could not take onboard the same mentality as the SARU and just say the Force are moving to another comp and things would have been rosy .. But I suppose that would be to easy and they ran out of crap paper to add that column to the number cards

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The ARU thought that a reduction in SA teams will increase the quality of Super Rugby competition. They couldn't be more wrong. Two teams up to the Pro 14, another two to be created to go to European competitions and two more wish to join the Cheetahs and Kings. Those being the Lions and Sharks. The Sharks have always been go to Europe and they have never denied it. They are also supported by broadcaster Super Sport. The Bulls haven't ruled it out either as they are going to hit financial dire straits soon as they have had a few more than lean seasons in a row. They also had to redeploy former head coach Nollis Marais as they couldn't afford to pay him out.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Pity the Rats Arse could not take onboard the same mentality as the SARU and just say the Force are moving to another comp and things would have been rosy .. But I suppose that would be to easy and they ran out of crap paper to add that column to the number cards
    Yeah, after the Cheetahs/Kings move, I had a thought a in the back of my mind, that with the SunWolves in the Australian group, it would be fait accompli that the "cut" Aussie team would be moving north, this time to Japan. Seeing as the Japanese League uses mainly local players, I thought the cut team would do the same, ie - local WA or Victorian guys plus some marquees. It was too much to expect the ARU to be forward-thinking enough to set this up.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    From out of Hong Kong

Talks strengthen hopes of Hong Kong entering team in Andrew Forrest’s Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship

The prospect of Hong Kong having a team in billionaire Andrew Forrest’s Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship (IPRC) is gathering steam after officials from the competition visited the territory this week.

The IPRC, Forrest’s answer to Australian franchise the Western Force being cut from Super Rugby, could also feature a women’s competition and even sevens. It will launch in March 2019 and run for around three months.
    Hong Kong Rugby Union chief executive Robbie McRobbie has labelled the concept “very positive” and believes it could be a vehicle to bring top quality Hong Kong-eligible players back to the territory.
    “We had a visit from representatives from the Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship this week,” McRobbie said. “Subsequent to the meeting, we have sent them a message back saying that when it comes to looking at team selection we are interested to be part of that conversation.
    “For us, up to this point it seems to fit in pretty well. The calendar wouldn’t impact too much on our domestic season.
    The Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship is billionaire Andrew Forrest’s answer to the Western Force being cut from Super Rugby. Photo: AFP
    “The fact we have got the existing elite rugby programme for men and men’s and women’s full-time sevens programmes, it makes sense for us to be looking for competition at a high level.”
    The competition, which is working closely with Rugby Australia, Asia Rugby and World Rugby, will feature the Western Force and five other teams from the likes of Hong Kong, Singapore, Samoa, Fiji, Japan, China and Tonga.
    While it is still early days, McRobbie says each team will feature a number of marquee players supported by the IPRC.
    “They are very keen to create as much as possible an equal and competitive playing environment,” McRobbie said. “The model that they are looking at is to provide some centralised support for some players for each of the six teams.
    Hong Kong Rugby Union chief executive Robbie McRobbie feels the Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship is positive for Asian rugby.
    “It’s not a rebel competition and we believe, based on what we have heard up to this point, that it could be a very positive development for rugby in the region.”
    While the union has often had trouble retaining the best Hong Kong-eligible players due to opportunities elsewhere, the IPRC could change that.

Where Forrest has spoken about bringing back Australian players that have chased money overseas, McRobbie is hopeful Hong Kong will be able to do a similar thing.
    “They were very clear that their approach would be tailored to the individual teams and the individual markets,” he said.

“Obviously our first choice would be to find the Hong Kong eligible players that are playing abroad at a higher level to see how many of them would be interested in coming back.”
    On top of that, the new competition will provide obvious opportunities for Hong Kong to strengthen their senior side and compliment the elite rugby programme.

“We like the fact the IPRC are keen to ensure there are a minimum number of locally eligible players involved, which totally fits with our ethos,” McRobbie said.
    “For us, clearly we want to be able to make use of our players as much as possible because it’s a great vehicle to give them exposure on a regular basis to help us take the national team up to a higher level.”

While no date has been set as to when the five additional teams will be selected, criteria Hong Kong must meet include depth of players, overall strength of rugby, facilities and the ability to attract a crowd.
    Facilities are forever an issue here and whether the people would support the concept remains to be seen, but McRobbie believes Hong Kong will fare well in many areas.
    “They have got set criteria that they are looking for; we might not be top of the list on all of them,” he said. “There are challenges, but I think in terms of coaching, administration, governance, we pride ourselves on being strong in those areas.”
    http://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/fift...ndrew-forrests

Senior Player
    vCash
    Out of Malaysia
    MR Presiden aims Malaysia club participants in IPRC

10 November 2017 – Malaysia Rugby Union president, Datuk Shahrul Zaman Yahya has a high hope on Malaysia team participation in the upcoming Indo Pacific Rugby Championship (IRPC). There are tons of positive notes about the championship proposal.

Datuk Shahrul shared his thought on the championship “Malaysian Rugby is excited with the plans and introduction of the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship. Its a platform an opportunity for local players and coaches to be exposed to the world-class level of games and preparations. With
    #IPRC in 2019 to feature 6 clubs in the championship we hope to have a Malaysian based IPRC team. A great effort to develop and provide opportunities for professional rugby for the Asian region and take the game to the highest level.”

He is having a very high regards to the championship as that clearly can help to develop Malaysia rugby standard to a higher level.

IRPC will start in 2019 and it depends on the organizer to choose 5 teams to join the championship. They will choose it based on the administration, stadium capacity, level of local players as well as the support from the Union.

The Western Union as the tournament host will be automatically included. In other to choose the five-team, IRPC will organize multiple exhibition games in 2018.

Keris Conlay, Eagles Rugby Club, COBRA to name a few have the capacity to meet all the standard set by IRPC. The Malaysia Rugby Union will need to give whatever they got to make sure a club from Malaysia participated in Indo Pacific Rugby Championship in 2019.
    http://ragbionline.com/2017/11/10/mr...pants-in-iprc/

Senior Player
    vCash
    The IPRC is really gaining traction now

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    some good InnForcers tours coming up?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie McRobbie
    ....The competition, which is working closely with Rugby Australia, Asia Rugby and World Rugby, will feature the Western Force and five other teams from the likes of Hong Kong, Singapore, Samoa, Fiji, Japan, China and Tonga...
    Spot the non sequitur

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Robbie McRobbie? What an awesome name!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    We will see about Hong Kong I just can't see where they can form a separate competition to the IPRC. They were also one of the first to expression interest in the IPRC.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Robbie McRobbie? What an awesome name!
    Dunno why I thought of this...

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    The IPRC is really gaining traction now
    With all the great Senate report news and France getting the Word Cup, I cannot see any news or announcements about IPRC. I thought it was going to get a run in Tokoyo? Anybody have any news on IPRC?

vCash
    I don't know how it could be in Tokyo as the IRB is hosting the current conference in London.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    With all the great Senate report news and France getting the Word Cup, I cannot see any news or announcements about IPRC. I thought it was going to get a run in Tokoyo? Anybody have any news on IPRC?
    The meetings are taking place in London.
    Would expect some news by the end of the week.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the announcement re naming the 6 teams gets postponed.
    I don't see that as a problem as the IPRC doesn't kick-off until 2019.
    Twiggy and his team will need all of their diplomatic skills to manage those who don't get the first gigs.

Last edited by andrewg; 16-11-17 at 10:31.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast