Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    I wouldn't mind the Spirit being the semi pro to the Force, a bit like majors and minors in baseball, and run both competitions concurrently. There is no reason why both comps can't be run concurrently, the Force is the only Australian team in the IPRC.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think you're giving the ARU board far too much credit Boof.

They have done modelling to show that they'll be bankrupt by 2019 and yet they waved goodbye to Buildcorp without so much as a second glance.

I personally think they're making decisions with their arse.
    To be honest, speak about their ineptitude but they have run circles around us.

Look at what is currently touted as the best option for us. We still have to sit out 8 months of rugby while our best talent will go to the Eastern Super Rugby franchises for most of the season.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well I'm relatively happy - we've gone from zero to hero thanks to Twiggy and his dreams! We have rugby still in WA and I'm hoping we get back our IP, retain Wessels and as many players as poss. It's only early yet, so who knows, the comp & details will still evolve over the next few months.

vCash
    twiggy forrests rebel rugby competition to launch in 2018

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest has launched the new Indo Pacific Rugby Championship to kick off next year.

Forrest is in negotiations with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) to ensure players who compete in his competition will also be eligible to play Super Rugby and represent the Wallabies.

Forrest hopes to have six teams in the competition, which is expected to start early next August.

He said it would be in the ARU's best interests to allow Wallabies players to feature in the new competition as well as Super Rugby.

Late last month, Forrest called on Cameron Clyne to resign over the ARU chairman's decision to axe the Force.

But the pair had since made up, and Forrest said his discussions with the ARU about the new Indo Pacific competition had been positive.

"There's been a fair bit of water under the bridge with Cameron and I," Forrest said.

"We had a frank and friendly discussion when he was here recently.

"We were cast as adversaries. We did not agree with the cancelling of this magnificent team (Western Force).

"In that adversarial form, we did have to go a little toe to toe.

"But now with the Western Force becoming an international team ... there should be nothing but collaboration on behalf of Australian rugby."

The ARU confirmed it was in discussions with Forrest and his Minderoo team.

"ARU is involved in collaborative discussions with Andrew Forrest and his Minderoo team and we look forward to continuing these discussions over the coming weeks," Clyne said on Wednesday in a statement.

"We do not wish to comment on the specifics of any proposed new competitions while these discussions are at a preliminary stage.

"ARU remains committed to maintaining a strong rugby presence in Western Australia and will explore all options in this regard."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/wa-s...13-gygim1.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    "ARU remains committed to maintaining a strong rugby presence in Western Australia and will explore all options in this regard."
    Something about this quote makes me so damn angry. Bullshit, you're trying to line your pockets, that's all.

vCash
    In despondency, remember that nobody on Twiggy's team - Twiggy, The Mayor, Sinders et al - is an idiot, self serving, or lying cheating thieving banker.

Maybe we should extend them the courtesy that they know what they are doing, they are thinking both tactically and strategically, and they have a plan. Geez Louise, in a couple of weeks these guys have got an international rugby competition in the pipeline, I don't recall any Union being capable of achieving that feat. And although we would all - and I include Forrest, Sinders and Welborn - like ARU to be bankrupt and the board jailed, the reality is they have to work with those bankers until they implode and are self-bankrupted in reality through blind stupidity.

So there is a very narrow path of opportunity, let's see some of the particulars instead of the broad brush and then make judgement. I for one woukd like something rather than nothing...which is what we have given the Force are definitely and the Spirit likely gone. One thing is for certain, I no longer have any interest at all in Super Rugby, and almost no (and waning) enthusiasm for the Wallabies however I DO have enthusiasm for a competition with The Force participating, even if it is less than Super (for starters).

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I see the all Super sides and NRC actually becoming feeder competitions to the IPRC, which will be a step higher than Super rugby.

The Western Force (and other IPRC sides like HK or Singapore) wont have their Wallabies who will be playing in the Tests, but could select the best players Super players from across Australia , NZ and elsewhere.

So a player could earn his normal Super contract and then pick up a lucrative IPRC contract after that, if he does not get a Wallaby contract. No need to go to Europe to earn big dollars.

If Dave Wessels stays in Perth, he would be coaching a team that was second only to the Wallabies in strength, as WA is the only one that will have a IPRC side.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Twiggy's gone over to the dark side, according to the article in the SMH online today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    I for one woukd like something rather than nothing...
    ^^ This

With all the angst about "it's not Super Rugby" and "we'll lose our stars" I say
    1 I'm glad it's not super rugby, that comp is in it's death throes anyway
    and
    2 Let's make more stars, Blokes like Mick Ruru, who has never had a fair shake, easily the best halfback in Australia yet not even called into a Wallabies camp because somebody has a hard on for Joe Powell. Sure we'll likely lose Adam and Dane, and that is a genuine shame, but we might keep guys like Jono, who probably won't find a spot in the rarefied air of sucking up to Patsy Clyne.

It provides a pathway for WA players, and that's the really important thing, so....where do I sign up!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    To be honest, speak about their ineptitude but they have run circles around us.

Look at what is currently touted as the best option for us. We still have to sit out 8 months of rugby while our best talent will go to the Eastern Super Rugby franchises for most of the season.
    I'm in your camp at the moment BLR. The ARU have been cooking up our demise for a long while and appear to have executed their plan perfectly. They outfoxed us with perfidious and nefarious tactics that we misinterpreted as help at a time when we were weathering an economic storm. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. They have wanted to concentrate all of the best talent on the east coast since forever and now have all the cards they need to be able to do that.

The absolute last straw for me will be to see the Senate inquiry flop because Twiggy and Clyne have kissed and made up.

I'm reserving judgement on this new competition until I see all the detail, know who the players and coaches are for the WA team, and whether the ARU gives anyone who plays for us Wallaby eligibility.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I reckon Wallanies eligibility is why Twiggy is designing the new comp so it does not compete with Super Rugby, along with trying to give players the option of playing in the new league and Super Rugby. The first one I am comfortable with, but having all our players go to other Super Rugby teams doesn't sit as well with me. Having said that, we are in a shit position and hopefully the new league will be a bridge to resurgence of the Force once Super Rugby dies in 2020.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I reckon Wallanies eligibility is why Twiggy is designing the new comp so it does not compete with Super Rugby,
    Twiggy Can't be that dumb, he hasn't shown it before.

The comp right now doesn't conflict with Super rugby and therefore it conflicts directly with Wallabies games.

I would hope that he is throwing that in there with a "what does it matter, if they're eligible and you want them then they'll be playing Wallabies, if not, they'll be keeping fit, ready to cover for injuries" Knowing that once he has it in writing, all he needs to do is creep the window so that they are no longer playing at the same time.....or wait for Super Rugby to die it's natural, wailing death.

C'mon the

vCash
    At least this way we live to fight another day......

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    If the new league competes with Super Rugby there is no way the EARU would allow its players to play for the Wallabies and thereby starve the new league of top tier talent - they may not anyway, given they are absolute mongrels. This way there is a chance we will have top talent in the Indo-Pacific comp, as DHP has stated today. The down side is they will join one of the remaining EARU Super Rugby teams - but at least they can also be available to also play for the new Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    At least this way we live to fight another day......
    Lets face it...we have been dealt a shit sandwich, those fuckers thought it was a knock out blow. We can either roll over and die, or get up off the canvas and keep fighting. No matter how appealing the thought, we cannot go our own way (disaccociate from the ARU) until they screw the pooch, which they will. World Rugby has said they will follow ARUs lead, so no rebel competition....the players won't sign onto a total rebel comp like WSC, it's too cozy right now. Just wait till Super is bankrupt in a couple of years though...

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast