Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Be good to find out "which force players" have signed / expressed interest with contracts drawn up -- as according to media reports.
    Presumably those not wanted by the vultures over east

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Apprentice
    vCash
    I think this may turn into a very smart long game. You wont get the ARU approval by stealing their players. but once you have the approval you can steal their time slot. Then the players will follow. Cheika has made it quite clear he want the best Australians from anywhere in his squad. By 2019 they may not be in the IPRC but by 2020 bloody oath they will. Thats when this comp will ramp up. Can anyone else remember what happens in 2020?.... thats right the SR comp is being renegotiated (completely disbanded). The most important part of this announcement is that the hard work building the pathways in WA will continue to exist. In the background for a couple of years but none the less they will exist. The ARU snaked us, now its our turn. Its a simple game of pick your battles.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Presumably those not wanted by the vultures over east
    Had the exact same thought.

Might be able to entice some players from over east who may be displaced by our players moving into other sides but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Player
    vCash
    The commentator on Fox 500 summed it up nicely. The new comp is going to happen and the ARU can choose to be in or out, but why wouldn't you want to be in? I suspect that press conference was designed to ramp up pressure on the ARU to do the right thing with respect to Wallaby eligibility.

One thing that comes across consistently for me is Twiggy's desire to have an ongoing professional rugby presence in Perth, and he has the resources to do that. I'm going to stay "glass half full" for a while yet, despite my personal preference to see the ARU implode for what they've done to WA rugby.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It should be parallel with Super. That way any players not picked up by those four teams can play professional rugby. Pool is the 30 from Force, 130 overseas, plenty from NRC and any Saffers, kiwis, and assorted others that want to play professional.

Improves and exposes Asia, enlarges the pool. Won't happen

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Good way to look at it Forced Logic. Thanks :-)

We need to see the full detail and find out what the long term strategy is before getting too despondent I guess. Maybe that will be in a press release later today.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Even with the full detail we are not privy to the strategy, we will have to work that out

I repeat, we cannot challenge or threaten the ARU at this point, we need their imprimatur (World Rugby said they will follow ARU). So a competition that does not threaten Super is the only option at this point.

I would have liked a breath of fresh air, new ideas, not sure if that is envisaged at this point, but if WA can get a professional team up and running that's something.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I would hope these 'exhibition' matches Twiggy talks about will be such big draws that it could keep players here.

The idea of having players play Super Rugby and the IPRC just shits me. Once again, Rebels getting their fund and we get a token off shoot at the end of the season is just tremendously unappealing. I assume we would be out of the NRC as well judging by the competition times as well so alot of these players would just play in the ARU's NRC if still running.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Jesus Guys keep ya farken heads up!! Before we start necking ourselves lets see what comes up regarding the comp. I agree with Logic by the time Sanzaar start negotiations with the broadcasters I reckon they will be fighting a losing battle. Where else are the players and broadcasters going to head to. SA want out, ARU are a basket case, NZ Rugby greedy smart broadcasters might start telling them to clean up their shit and give them a wider berth.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Has the press conference finished now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Jesus Guys keep ya farken heads up!! Before we start necking ourselves lets see what comes up regarding the comp. I agree with Logic by the time Sanzaar start negotiations with the broadcasters I reckon they will be fighting a losing battle. Where else are the players and broadcasters going to head to. SA want out, ARU are a basket case, NZ Rugby greedy smart broadcasters might start telling them to clean up their shit and give them a wider berth.
    Three years of no top tier rugby while the East Coast teams get to live their lives like nothing happened despite all the bullshit they get up to...if this is it the ARU have well and truely won.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Nick Taylor
    Wednesday, 13 September 2017 12:01AM

A number of Western Force players have agreed in principle to join the new breakaway Indo-Pacific Rugby Championships, planned to debut next year.
    The West Australian has been told a group of players are prepared to join mining magnate Andrew Forrest’s competition, however the ARU’s willingness to allow Wallabies to play in the tournament could be a stumbling block.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88597633z
    Remember you only need to play 20 mins of super rugby to qualify for Wallaby selection!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    He's sponsoring the NRC as well. I'm seeing this as a big win for the ARU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Three years of no top tier rugby while the East Coast teams get to live their lives like nothing happened despite all the bullshit they get up to...if this is it the ARU have well and truely won.
    Live their lives AND benefit from the players WE have developed to be first-names-on-the-team-sheet Wallabies.

Forgive me for being just a wee bit vindictive here but the ARU needs to be made to pay SOMETHING for the crap they've drowned the Force and us in for years, not just the last 12 months. This 'aren't we all happy little campers now' vibe I'm getting from what I've read about this morning's press conference makes me feel the wind has been taken out of the sails of the Senate inquiry and that no sanctions will be placed on Clyne and his cronies at all. Sorry, but that makes me feel more than a little sick.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    One thing that comes across consistently for me is Twiggy's desire to have an ongoing professional rugby presence in Perth, and he has the resources to do that.
    That's the key thing - if it keeps local players in the game and gives them a path to higher levels it will be worthwhile. It sucks for us but I don't want to see all levels of WA rugby get decimated along with it.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast