Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

Player
    vCash
    Quite a different commentary from the Spirit vs Rams result last week. The NRC is an opportunity for new players to get exposure to the next level of rugby, which is what the Spirit have done. I'm sure Kevin Foote has a plan here, and it'll all be good.

Having said that, the coverage and commentating seriously needs to be looked at. Hoiles and McMahon are shocking, they come across as not having a clue what they're talking about and are so un-impartial it's not entertaining to watch the game because of them. Considering the NRC is supposed to be our equivalent of the Currie Cup or Mitre 10 Cup, Foxtel has a long way to go before they're up to scratch and have a lot to answer for.

I'm a bit worried what's happening with the IPRC though, the ARU seem to be stalling to take momentum out. We should have had a decision whether they would support the competition by now. I don't think the ARU appreciate how much they actually need the IPRC, and I hope that Andrew Forrest is trying to find a way out by looking for ways he could go overseas for support if he can't get it from the ARU. From the rugby in the weekend, I'm not sure how appealing Drew Mitchell's idea of a next level down competition featuring Sydney club rugby would be to the wider public. I could only think of it as a very expensive way to not really grow the game much. Australia needs more higher level rugby, and only the IPRC can offer that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I could tell you how appealing Sydney club rugby is to the wider public....but this is a family friendly forum

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    I could tell you how appealing Sydney club rugby is to the wider public....but this is a family friendly forum
    to be fair Mr Bison - its becoming very popular.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Wider rugby public includes those outside of Sydney....

vCash
    'm a bit worried what's happening with the IPRC though, the ARU seem to be stalling to take momentum out. We should have had a decision whether they would support the competition by now. I don't think the ARU appreciate how much they actually need the IPRC, and I hope that Andrew Forrest is trying to find a way out by looking for ways he could go overseas for support if he can't get it from the ARU.
    The ARU have got more problems to worry about then Twiggy.

- Covering up insider trading allegations
    - Being better prepared for getting fried in Round Two by Senator Reynolds
    - Funding their Rebels who are still coachless

You could argue it has mobilised existing support as club games used to get that many to matches in the early 90s.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Wider rugby public includes those outside of Sydney....
    I agree completely - But I can only comment on what I see and where I see it.

Exile
    Sydney

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post

You could argue it has mobilised existing support as club games used to get that many to matches in the early 90s.

I agree with this completely. But the existing support has grown family (since the early 90's) that would be new to Rugby and the old Rugby heads would bring friends to the games. Soon enough that would be considered real growth.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    I agree completely - But I can only comment on what I see and where I see it.
    Yes Ex, and with the most respect I can only comment on what I see and where I see it.

From that point of view, Sydney club rugby looks to be picking up a small percentage of fair weather fans in a limited and already saturated market,.

But that's the issue with perspective isn't it?

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yes Ex, and with the most respect I can only comment on what I see and where I see it.

From that point of view, Sydney club rugby looks to be picking up a small percentage of fair weather fans in a limited and already saturated market,.

But that's the issue with perspective isn't it?
    Absolutely GIGS

I think the proof will be in the attendance numbers of the 2018 Season. Personally - I think Australian Rugby across the country will see a rise in attendance at Club Rugby matches. I hope that the attendance spike trickles down to the lower grades of Club Rugby. I know a little club in Western Sydney that could do with an increase in canteen revenue.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    To be clear, I have nothing against Sydney club rugby per se, and an glad they have had an increase in attendance this year. They are appealing to their support base, providing something. Great

What I DO have issue with is conflating this into something it is not...it has nothing to do with anything outside Sydney (arguably including Penwiff etc), nothing to do with professional rugby, not up to even third tier, and has been used extensively to redirect attention, funding and player participation in local comps from Brumbies and Force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    To be clear, I have nothing against Sydney club rugby per se, and an glad they have had an increase in attendance this year. They are appealing to their support base, providing something. Great

What I DO have issue with is conflating this into something it is not...it has nothing to do with anything outside Sydney (arguably including Penwiff etc), nothing to do with professional rugby, not up to even third tier, and has been used extensively to redirect attention, funding and player participation in local comps from Brumbies and Force.
    Absolutely when Canberra and Newcastle were in the Sydney comp they were expected to field five grade sides and three sides which was ludicrous as it would have decimated their local club comps. The Sydney clubs also whinged about the travel as they travelling past Parramatta once or twice a season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Absolutely when Canberra and Newcastle were in the Sydney comp they were expected to field five grade sides and three sides which was ludicrous as it would have decimated their local club comps. The Sydney clubs also whinged about the travel as they travelling past Parramatta once or twice a season.
    Sounds like most Victorian AFL teams bleating about having to travel west of Adelaide once a year

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know when it was first mooted by SANZAR that it wanted to expand from 15 to 18? I'm assuming it was sometime in late 2014 as the TV broadcast agreement was due to expire in 2015 and they would have needed to plan ahead (I assume!).

If anyone knows the year and month they first saw stuff in the media about it, that would be awesome!

Thanks all

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    That early! Wow! Thanks Steve

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast