Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    First question is: are Geoff Stooke, Mark Sinderberry and John Welborne inside the tent? If not I hold the same suspicions as Alison. I have already turned my back on the Wallabies - for now. If the NRC ends up a FIFO operation that sidelines most WA players, kills off the NRC and is basically a feeder comp for SR, I'm done with the game. Easier for me than most, being a League supporter as well, I know.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    Regardless of all the positivity people are placing behind the new league, the ARU have well and truly f***cked over Western Australia and have no remorse. I for one will never attend a Wallabies game again. I felt no passion at the game last weekend as the ARU have sapped all the joy. The new league may grow to be something great, but the damage the ARU has done has set us back years.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So twiggy puts in a bucket load of cash, does the organising, props up the aru and yet they still cast us aside with no indication we will ever be brought back into the fold. Doesnt seem right.. hoping that we are playing the long game..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Where is my live pro rugby,, I thought we had a chance with Twiggy ,, Seems like I will staying home next yr I will miss my rugby ,shopping in perth and visiting friends and family... More work on the farm,, I was just hoping for live rugby I wanted the 2017 team as it .Even if they played invitation teams from China, Japan, Korea,Samoa, Tonga and any other team who wants to come and play And all at Nib for us to see .. that what I want ..

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tonkar; 15-09-17 at 19:19.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Like I say, many ways it could go south. At the end of the day though, it will come down to the selection criteria for the team. If it creates 35 professional opportunities for WA based players, development programs and maybe 10 'marquee' players from the SR given the chance to earn extra coin, it would be the win we said we wanted...we'd have professional players in the Pindan, professionals playing in the NRC along with those trying to get noticed, and the focus on the pathways that have been taken away. But it has to be directed at WA players, ideally even for the marquee players. We probably can't keep those top flight players in Perth much outside of that 4 month contract though; we'd need to look to our own for that engagement. We would probably also bleed players to SR; so be it, if they're lucky they might get a marquee spot.

But outside of that, the ARU needs to be kept well out of it. By all means engage to coordinate things like the NRC and calls the Wallabies might make, but outside of that fuck them and they should have nothing to do with the competition...nothing to do with them. They'll only make an arse of it the way they do with everything else. And if it gets talked into the sort of IPL/Big Bash load of cobblers, I'll be done and they can do it by themselves. I want something I can call my team, not just a team of blow-ins briefly based here.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm not too thrilled about the ARU involvement in this, I would have hoped for guys like the Shute Shield revitalisers, Nick Fordham and John Murray to be involved. And no, I don't mean specifically them, but someone like them who have had success in turning things around and bringing new ideas to old concepts.

On a side note, what does a WA Origin XV look like? I'm talking about guys who grew up and went to school here, not guys who flew in because we had a Super franchise. I'm wondering what sort of strength that team would have, in terms of fielding our own locally-developed players only, if WA had to scale back and play in another competition. Does it include guys like the Haylett-Petty's, Rona, Peni, Scoble and Hardwick in the current Origin XV?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 15-09-17 at 20:39.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    THE Australian Rugby Union has established a working group to assist in the development of the Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship.

The group will be headed by former Wallabies flanker and current ARU vice-chairman Brett Robinson and includes key high performance, commercial and legal representatives from the ARU management team.

Whole article here
    PLEASE NO ARU INVOLVEMENT! Is Twiggy mad? How can he let ANYONE from the ARU anywhere near it! Please don't let it be true!

Player
    vCash
    its a get out of jail card for ERU, twiggy gets to pay for their scoping study of new comp
    and its all smiles apparently
    looks like we are the only ones remaining angry eating a shit sandwich
    hope the senate comittee can shove a few pokers
    we can only trust that stooke/ hodgo /Mayor/ sinders can retain some influence
    but cant think of 4 better people to be on our side

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The aru have given us 2 in the chest and one in the head! Why have anything to do with them? It must be hard for stooke hodgo and sinders to stomach their involvement. I think cash will rule. We dont need the aru. If money is right the players will come regardless.

vCash
    Does nobody get that World Rugby has a monopoly and World Rugby have sided with the ARU.

If we want this comp off the ground, we need to get the arus endorsement. That won't happen without some significant greasing of palms.

We need a thin end of the wedge beginning while ARU keeps themselves busy destroying rugby for the next dozen generations.

We will need to concede a Lot if we want to get their sticky shit-covered fingers out of our pie, but once it's running, we'll be able to move ahead quite quickly if the ARU remain at arms length.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    The only reason the ARU are sticking their noses in now is they know the writing is on the wall. Basically their tactic will be to take as much cred as possible for themselves and be trying desperately to swing public opinion back in their favour! To me it's another sneaky marketing ploy to gain brownie points with the rugby population they've already alienated- gotta be a bridge too far methinks. I suggest some very short leashes or build an ARU proof wall.

vCash
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Brett Robinson is one of the Mayor's old mates. There their they're might be a polemic shift underway with ARU involvement.

GIGS is right, we need ARU endorsement in the short term.

Everyone else is right, keep the camels nose out of the tent flap

Jeez, let's wait and see before writing the whole thing off....Hodgo, Stooke, Sinders, Twiggy are in this FOR US not for the ARU and certainly not for Clyne and his cretinous mates

Last edited by sittingbison; 15-09-17 at 21:01.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Yeah, I must admit, considering the duplicitous nature of their dealings with us RE: the Alliance Agreement, and also the whole "The Rebels license was sold to the VRU for a dollar?! OH MY GOD WE HAD NO IDEA!" débâcle; I'm concerned about the intentions about any involvement with the ARU (or SANZAAR) in this case.

It would be good to get rugby innovators independent of the whole "ARU/Clyne/Clarke" scene to be involved in this.

Shit, I would be happy if there was a new WA/Pac/EastAsia board created to run this competition instead.

I must say I'm feeling a bit deflated after being quite excited early on in the piece. I hope the ARU are acting in good faith this time, but after the two above-mentioned fiascos, I can't say I'm too confindent that they aren't trying to screw us over yet again.

I seriously hope Twiggy, Stooke et al have the nous and wherewithal to deal with their potential duplicity in this matter.

Maybe on our side, we need a few treacherous bastards of our own?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Do we even know that Stooke, Welborne and Sinders ARE involved? We've heard nothing from anyone other than Twiggy, his execs and the ARU so far. I know they were originally supposed to be part of the set up but a lot has happened in the last few days. With the ARU firmly on board, could Stooke et al have said, no way José?

We need Hans or John to fill us in a bit more

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure I read that all 3 are involved in some way. Will have to wait for official confirmation though.

Whilst I'm still concerned that the ARU are around (and now having their own party involved, which has me wondering about their motives), at least Rob Clarke isn't around. I allocate more blame to him and his mates for us getting screwed than the remaining ARU types. Not that I have any trust in Clyne.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast