Thread: Western Force Staff Sacked

Apprentice
    vCash

Western Force Staff Sacked

I can't find it anywhere online but it's in today's print version of the West that the ARU sacked 5 Western Force staff members yesterday and 15 more are to go after the NRC is finished. The human cost of the axing of out team is becoming very real, I feel for all the staff involved.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes, I know one person who was let go yesterday, very sad indeed....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Someone from the ARU flew over from Sydney last week to tell them they would be sacked from today. No doubt the ARU henchperson flew business class and stayed at a 5 or 6* hotel for at least one night.

Still, at least they were told in person this time rather than via media release like they were after the arbitration outcome.

I would like to thank each and every one of the staff for everything they have done for rugby in WA and hope that they find new jobs soon, with an employer that actually values them and the skills and energy they bring.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
    I can't find it anywhere online but it's in today's print version of the West that the ARU sacked 5 Western Force staff members yesterday and 15 more are to go after the NRC is finished. The human cost of the axing of out team is becoming very real, I feel for all the staff involved.
    Makes the news of the NRC being stopped after this year a bit more likely, I'd have thought. Or at least the Spirit's inclusion in it.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Fuck the ARU

Player
    vCash
    Including Mark Sinderberry according to the paper. Surely they would have to be paid redundancy money.Thank you to Mark and the rest of the staff

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    This is the story we were looking for.
    There are some interesting snippets of information.

Sacked Western Force staff leave the building today
    Nick Taylor

Today is the last day at work for five Western Force staff, including chief executive Mark Sinderberry.
    Force backer Andrew Forrest’s legal battle to save the club as a Super Rugby franchise has not officially ended but the five will spend their last day at Rugby HQ today after being sacked by the Australian Rugby Union.
    Another 15 will leave after the National Rugby Championship ends in November.
    Forrest has asked the ARU to sell back the Western Force name for the WA team in his proposed breakaway competition.
    He asked about buying the club’s intellectual property rights in talks with ARU chairman Cameron Clyne on Sunday and discussions continued yesterday.
    The ARU bought the Force’s intellectual property in an $800,000 deal early last year to help the franchise out of financial difficulty. When the IP was sold, the Force were given an option to buy back the licence.
    Forrest is likely to claim the licence should be sold for $1, the same amount former Melbourne Rebels owner Andrew Cox paid for that franchise two years ago, and the same price the Victorian Rugby Union paid for it last month.
    It is understood there are now plans to expand the new Indo-Pacific competition beyond the anticipated six teams, with details to be released tomorrow.
    It also appears that Forrest and the ARU have moved closer after his initial front-foot challenge.
    Forrest has already said he does not intend to run the IPC as a rival to Super Rugby and it may initially swallow the National Rugby Championship to produce a higher-profile competition.
    The ARU would not comment on the discussions.

vCash
    can someone enlighten me, what were the conditions around us buying the ip and licence back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    can someone enlighten me, what were the conditions around us buying the ip and licence back?
    That's the interesting part. All articles have said there is an 'option' in the agreement to buy back the IP. But it seems when RugbyWA exercised this option ARU refused. Was this another Alliance Agreement cock up?

But maybe it was written that it was at the discretion of the ARU to sell the IP back, which to me seems to be another big oversight by RugbyWA's lawyers as there MUST have been suspicions about the ARU's motives, at least a little bit. At least the VRU had their 'sale' clause not need any ARU approval as long as they met certain conditions.

vCash
    There's a part of me that reckons they should chase this up all the way to the high court for the sake of sheer bloody-mindedness

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Thank you Jess and all the team at RugbyWA ..take a break, come back and staff the new competition, we will need your skill and expertise.. hit the ground running ..... (This is my hope!!)..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A little birdie told me that although the staff have been let go, they have been "paid out" well into the future. Not sure of that is a ploy by ARU to ensure they do not have any OHS come backs or they were just being generous.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    A little birdie told me that although the staff have been let go, they have been "paid out" well into the future. Not sure of that is a ploy by ARU to ensure they do not have any OHS come backs or they were just being generous.
    So lack of cash is a problem until it isn't! Pay for Genia, refuse Twiggy's 50 Mil, pay out existing contracts and pay out the staff generously. If I was "grassroots" I wouldn't be holding my breath for the extra funding! But still they had to cut the Force! Almost pure ideology now, certainly no logic... or maybe it's sheer incompetence and massive ego! Hard to tell anymore!

vCash
    I'd imagine that everyone at the ARU is basically thinking they've got an extra $6M in the bank now for each year, so is spending like a fat kid in a candy store. Much like I assume they did with the additional TV rights income they've been getting since the S18 expansion.

vCash
    The ARU are already broke they just haven't had to call in the receivers just yet.
    Come 2020 when there are less teams, less games and less interest there will be less money from PayTV and Super Rugby will be dead.
    Super Rugby is financially unsustainable. All the players being developed by SA, Aus and NZ are heading to where the money is and it's not in Super Rugby.
    The only hope for Southern Hemisphere rugby are rich blokes like Twiggy.
    and his IPRC will be the last man standing when Super Rugby dies.

Now let's all watch the ARU stuff that up by killing the NRC as a way to 'save' Super Rugby