Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Western Force players, coach vow not to sign with Melbourne Rebels

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Wouldn’t Coleman and Rona etc. be ineligible for Wallabies selection given that they are currently not signed for a Super rugby team. That’s one of the rules right
    1 Signed to a Australian super rugby team
    2 Upon returning to Australia from overseas have at least a two year deal with a super rugby team.
    3 Have over 60 test caps and 7 years service to an Australian super rugby team.

Um is the ARU breaking its eligibility rules or should I just shut up and get back in my box.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Wouldn’t Coleman and Rona etc. be ineligible for Wallabies selection given that they are currently not signed for a Super rugby team. That’s one of the rules right
    2 Upon returning to Australia from overseas have at least a two year deal with a super rugby team.

Um is the ARU breaking its eligibility rules or should I just shut up and get back in my box.
    Well the NRC players are paid via their Super Rugby contracts I believe so I can only assume that the contracts run until end year.

I would think November test time would be the crunch time for re-signing.

vCash
    Yep, contracts run until Dec 31.

It does piss me off though when I saw somebody listed in a squad as a rebel (must have been tets)

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post

In 2016 DHP became the first player in history to be picked to represent Australia, who had not played for NSW, QLD or ACT. Then Rona and Hardwick followed in 2017.
    Imagine how many talented players in WA, SA, NT and Tas have been ignored over the last 100 years?
    The ARU or now EARU, cannot be allowed to claim the Wallabies represent Australia, if they have an official policy of not selecting players who do not have a Super contract and live outside of Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and now Melbourne. The ARU were the ones that killed the Force, they cannot now get away with ignoring Cole, DHP, Hardwick, Rona, Meakes etc for Australian selection, if those players decide they want to continue to live in WA with their families and friends.
    I have raised this with Senator Reynolds, and encourage others to highlight the same thing.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    In 2016 DHP became the first player in history to be picked to represent Australia, who had not played for NSW, QLD or ACT. Then Rona and Hardwick followed in 2017.
    Imagine how many talented players in WA, SA, NT and Tas have been ignored over the last 100 years?
    The ARU or now EARU, cannot be allowed to claim the Wallabies represent Australia, if they have an official policy of not selecting players who do not have a Super contract and live outside of Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and now Melbourne. The ARU were the ones that killed the Force, they cannot now get away with ignoring Cole, DHP, Hardwick, Rona, Meakes etc for Australian selection, if those players decide they want to continue to live in WA with their families and friends.
    I have raised this with Senator Reynolds, and encourage others to highlight the same thing.
    Yes and no.
    In 2008 James O'Connor, David Pocock and Richard Brown were capped by the Wallabies; they all came from Queensland, but had never played professional rugby there.
    Similarly, Pek Cowan in 2009, Ben McCalman in 2010 and Nick Cummins in 2012 were capped, having only played club rugby in Sydney.
    Tet Faulkner and Nathan Charles were capped in 2014 and both came from the Brumby development squad but never played for ACT.
    Ryan Cross was also capped in 2008; he'd played for the Sydney Roosters, but he only played union as a junior in Sydney.

So we have had players picked for the Wallabies who have only played professionally outside of NSW, Qld & ACT (also including Luke Jones - Force & Rebels) but you are right, DHP is the first who hasn't played any rugby in those areas. Keiran Longbottom would probably have beaten him, but the selectors refused to entertain picking him, so he went to England.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    The likes of Nathan Charles and Dave Fitter were loaned out by the Brumbies to the Force with time remaining on their contracts. They ended up remaining at the Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Yes and no. In 2008 James O'Connor, David Pocock and Richard Brown were capped by the Wallabies; they all came from Queensland, but had never played professional rugby there. Similarly, Pek Cowan in 2009, Ben McCalman in 2010 and Nick Cummins in 2012 were capped, having only played club rugby in Sydney. Tet Faulkner and Nathan Charles were capped in 2014 and both came from the Brumby development squad but never played for ACT. Ryan Cross was also capped in 2008; he'd played for the Sydney Roosters, but he only played union as a junior in Sydney. So we have had players picked for the Wallabies who have only played professionally outside of NSW, Qld & ACT (also including Luke Jones - Force & Rebels) but you are right, DHP is the first who hasn't played any rugby in those areas. Keiran Longbottom would probably have beaten him, but the selectors refused to entertain picking him, so he went to England.
    However they had all played age reps in the Golden triangle, unlike DHP, Dickie and Curtis

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Yes and no.
    In 2008 James O'Connor, David Pocock and Richard Brown were capped by the Wallabies; they all came from Queensland, but had never played professional rugby there.
    Similarly, Pek Cowan in 2009, Ben McCalman in 2010 and Nick Cummins in 2012 were capped, having only played club rugby in Sydney.
    Tet Faulkner and Nathan Charles were capped in 2014 and both came from the Brumby development squad but never played for ACT.
    Ryan Cross was also capped in 2008; he'd played for the Sydney Roosters, but he only played union as a junior in Sydney.

So we have had players picked for the Wallabies who have only played professionally outside of NSW, Qld & ACT (also including Luke Jones - Force & Rebels) but you are right, DHP is the first who hasn't played any rugby in those areas. Keiran Longbottom would probably have beaten him, but the selectors refused to entertain picking him, so he went to England.
    Got my my facts a bit mixed up there. But the point is ARU need to be made to change their "Super contracted players" only selection policy to represent Australia. It was unfair before, but having culled the Force it is grossly wrong.

I have just read through the Senate inquiry, and the subject does not get a mention yet. Hopefully if we highlight, it will get coverage in round 2.

vCash
    The Irish Indo has got an article out stating that Munster are set to announce Wessels. We don't know what is going on with Barakat as Munster have to replace Jacques Neinaber who is going back to SA with Rassie Erasmus. Erasmus was doing a lot of Anthony Foley's forward coaching with Jerry Flannery. Barakat is quiet capable of taking that on to work with Flannery and Wessels to work on defence.

Munster have a Saturday match this weekend so they normally announce the team on a Friday. Occasionally you do get leaks about press conferences going to be called to make important announcements. Their ARU style press conference to announce Foley re-allocated to a separate role with a DoR (Erasmus got that role) coming in was brutal.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I can understand how all the Force Players and staff would be really pissed off. Think back to the so called reconciliation round when we played the Rebels and Hodgo made that stirring speech to all the players. And think now, how those Rebels players knew they were safe and the only direction new playing stocks and staff would be coming was from the Force.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hard to watch Dave's interview on Fox about how excited he is about the the 'new' programmes by Kafe in place & yadayadayada....... but seemed to me he didn't really seem all that enthusiastic to me- more like he's just bleating out the usual platitudes for the press. And I like the West's take on it as a holiday job.
    But will Twiggyball be up and running by next year? If so who's gonna be coach? And if not, don't think I can stand waiting 2 years!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeah Val, and in the promo pictures of him wearing the Rebels jersey, that was not the smile of the Dave I know. Seemed a little pained to me. But maybe I'm just looking for silver linings!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Like I said in the other thread, I wish all of them the best. But given all that's happened and the fact that they are pretty much FORCEd to go to Melbourne, you have to wonder if the hearts are really in it. Not a good place to start from.

There's the part of me that says go well but another pretty big chunk that says "Crash and burn you Melbourne Bastards". All because of Clunk & Co. Not the supporters or players.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Jono Lance off to U.K. On short term contract.. Wonder what he plans after that..

vCash
    Good on ya Jonno! Good luck

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast