Thread: Twiggies Team

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Twiggies Team

The team Twiggy has assembled to take the proposed Indo-Pacific League to the next stage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    SME's - he'll fond them all here on TWF

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    SME's - he'll fond them all here on TWF
    Maybe we (TWF) should hit him up for the Media & PR gig

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    They could do worse

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    We are a focus group. With a few established biases.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The Force was able to play rugby union because it came under the umbrella of the Western Australian Rugby Union, which in turn came under the umbrella of the Australian Rugby Union, in turn a member of the International Rugby Board.

My understanding is, and I would be pleased to be corrected, that only a rugby team recognised by its parent union, and approved to play by its parent union, can participate in the game of rugby.

The Intellectual property pertaining to the game itself belongs to the IRB, and theoretically anyone organising a rugby match without their approval can be subject to applications for injunctions and (theoretically) damages.

Of course, in practice unauthorised games are played all over the world, and the IRB and home unions turn a blind eye unless it affects their income or player base.

In relation to Twiggy's proposed competition, it will certainly affect the ARU's finances and player base, not to mention the bad blood between RugbyWA, and Twiggy on one side, and the ARU on the other.

The ARU's approval therefore is by no means a given, and the same principle applies to the other teams in Twiggy's proposed competition; will their home unions give approval, especially the Pacific Ocean Unions who may be beholden to the "generosity" of the ARU?

There is a lot of politics and positioning required in all this before any alternate competition can be run without the agreement of the ARU, which agreement, I predict, will not be forth coming.

The alternate route for RugbyWA therefore, as I see it, is for it to disassociate itself from the ARU, and apply for independent membership of the IRB.

Western Australia is an independent sovereign State in its own right, and the Commonwealth Constitution does not prevent the State from independently entering into international sporting arrangements. With the backing of the State Government (which under the present Government is surely forthcoming) a successful application is realistic.

There exists a precedent (of sorts) already.

The USA is a member of the IRB in its own right, as is the US Territory of American Samoa in its own right. What's the difference with our situation?

If the IRB is genuine in its desire to promote rugby, what better opportunity is there for it to do so than by embracing a region abandoned by its parent union, and a team which has proven itself to be equal top in the number games won in the Australian Super 18 Conference?

Of course there are other issues. for example would players in Twiggy's team be eligible to play for the Wallabies or would they have to play exclusively for WA's State team, and how competitive would WA be on the international stage against Australia and others? Would players from other states (and overseas) be eligible to play for WA?

Now I'm playing around with this at home while I'm recovering from a dose of pneumonia, and my thinking isn't as clear as it should be. Twiggy and co have a sharp bunch of legal minds at their disposal, and I'm sure they are considering all the angles.

Good luck.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Fulv, Have I not posted that idea before?

I know I've thought about it and I reckon WA might be close to qualifying for the World Cup if we qualify through Asia.

I would also petition the IRB for the right to select WA eligible players who are currently identified as Australian players in a one-time deal due to our special circumstances.

I'm sure in the current Climat Dane would be keen to play his International rugby for WA instead of the Wallabies. Adam Coleman, David Pocock, James O'Connor, Matt Hodgson, Tetera Faulkner, Pek Cowan, Richard Hardwick, Richard Brown would all be WA eligible if the team had existed when they commenced their international rugby career, (possibly plenty of others who I've forgotten) but, if we could offer WA eligibility to those players, and the players could indicate their preference, recusing themselves from playing with any other international team, I think it would have some serious legs.

I also don't think it sets up a precedent which will harm World Rugby, if A union splits in two in the same fashion in the future, It would be a sensible way of handling the inevitable backlash from players and fans.

C'mon the

vCash
    You may have Gigs, I can't recall. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the divorce from ARU and involvement in Twiggy's competition, rather than international representation at present.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Affiliate with the asian rugby football union and move on without limks to australian rugby. WA could effectively compete in international tournaments as wa just as hong kong competes separately to china.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I am really a Palmyra troll.

vCash
    Darkness, your practical suggestion bears serious consideration as an alternative to my cumbersome legalistic approach.

I can forsee some downside re player eligibility, but perhaps these can be overcome.

vCash
    Has the question been asked?? Billy Beaumont was out in Australia over the last SR season, Whats world rugby's take on this matter, No doubt Agustín Pichot is right up SANZARS arse as he wants Argentina to bid for the 2023 world cup.. I am dam sure that its an embaressment to world rugby the way this has been handled,, Gosper must have some pull for us

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bill Beaumont is a man of honour and integrity. Maybe we should pen a letter to him?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Just a great read ,, Can't apply to ARU http://www.worldrugby.org/spirit-of-rugby

Player
    vCash
    Traditionally World Rugby has been a regulator and an investor in world rugby. It has successfully steered the growth and development of the global game to record levels of participation through investment driven by its flagship tournament, Rugby World Cup, and strong governance worldwide.

World Rugby now wishes to innovate and inspire through participation, engagement, education and regulation, harnessing the sport’s character-building values to excite, engage and inform new audiences in existing and new rugby markets.

World Rugby Vision: Rugby - a sport for all, true to its values

World Rugby Mission: Growing the global rugby family

World Rugby Core Values: Inherent in everything we do are our values of integrity, respect, solidarity, passion and discipline.

Player
    vCash
    Copy of world rugbys vision