Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Indo Pacific league

Player
    vCash
    Let's look at other aspects viewing of games etc - free to air / alternatives to Foxtel eg Netflix / amazon
    Cheaper and interesting destinations travel. Sponsorship interest from asian airlines like airAsia Cathy pacific virgin Malaysian airliines etc. a win win for nations involved for tourism.
    Not a competition that would compete with SR but compliment it. Maybe some competition cross pollination occurring once a new board has been installed at ARU level eg miniature version of champions league in soccer in a knock out comp.

Fact is we are only limited by our imagination and desire for rugby. The worst that can happen is it would fail. The best is we increase the popularity of rugby and make competition around the world more competitive from we point of view. If we can get WR on side maybe able to subsidise games in Fiji for example to ensure they get to play as a professional team on home soil.

Who knows - worth exploring and I'd watch if only to thumb my nose at the aru

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    I starting off with six could be expanded too maybe invite another state like south Australia someone close to our time zone plus they don't like the eastern states much either and could develop som aussie rivalry

vCash
    Rival comp on the horizon. Possible alternate FTA telecast and affordable digital platforms. New teams. Increased player opportunities. Bet Foxtel is impressed they agreed to this clusterf@ck.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Western Force
    Singapore
    Hong Kong
    Shanghai
    Fiji
    Sydney Subbies (They are an independent Union to NSWRU)

1st Expansion (take time to negotiate through with NZRU)-
    North Harbour (Desperate to separate from Auckland)

2nd Expansion-
    More China
    Japan
    Samoa
    Tonga
    Taranaki

Smokey-
    PNG

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I starting off with six could be expanded too maybe invite another state like south Australia someone close to our time zone plus they don't like the eastern states much either and could develop som aussie rivalry
    Mothy I was also thinking of a side from South Australia be included.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    6 teams to get it started, 2 from Perth which will hopefully make Perth club rugby more attractive and stronger, keeping local talent coming through with more opportunities.

Perth Spirit (semi-pro) Thoughts???

Western Force (full timers)

Singapore Dragons

Hong Kong

Mainland China

Fiji

“In 1823, William Webb Ellis first picked up the ball in his arms and ran with it. And for the next 156 years forwards have been trying to work out why.” - Sir Tasker Watkins (1979)

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Someone else to add to the names on the list of people to contact.

Eric Series

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    I love the comments around the Australian that there should be a Western Sydney team! Could you imagine that!

vCash
    I wonder if the ARU would entertain the idea of there being promotion/relegation with Super Rugby? The thought of a Tahs team sinking to a new low and having to earn their Wallaby top ups is delicious

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I wonder if the ARU would entertain the idea of there being promotion/relegation with Super Rugby? The thought of a Tahs team sinking to a new low and having to earn their Wallaby top ups is delicious
    Not in a million years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    China's a sleeping giant in both the rugby playing world and well as financing it ! Their TV deal could be huge.

Entertaining the idea of a NSW side is fine, as long as we can cut them every other season, however I suggest the first comp structure is allowed to survive for at least 2 seasons before any expansion.

As for North Korea, wouldn't it be a new team every away game?!

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    i was thinking this morning about if world rugby would even allow this rebel comp to use the term 'rugby' if they dont allow the existence of the competition.

if they dont, maybe the term 'sports entertainment' could be used :p

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player
    vCash
    Priceless, especially

And the good news is that Forrest is up against some very amateur hour talent in ARU HQ.

Chairman Cameron Clyne spent a few years running NAB - a tentacle of Australia's cushy banking oligopoly - and it clearly did not prepare him for chairing a sporting code that faces actual competition.

As Forrest goes head-to-head with Clyne, he might want a few tips from his good mate - Wesfarmers chairman Michael Chaney.

Chaney is the guy who - as NAB's chairman at the time - hired Clyne as the bank's CEO in 2009. Chaney was still there five years later to help usher Clyne out the door.
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/w...05-gyazad.html

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    In my humble opinion. The first job is to legitimize the Competition.

Being called a rebel competition or a breakaway competition does not create a pathway for Western Australian Juniors which is one of the prime reasons behind this competition in the first place.

If the Competition doesn't get recognition and approval from the IRB and/or the ARU this competition wont have any referees. Wont have a judiciary. Wont see our players recognized for representational honors.

That being said- I am looking forward to the new competition, and I hope to be able to fly to Perth for the first match. Just like I did in 2006.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Drew Mitchell pouring cold water on it strikes me as either not very smart or not very well informed... i dont think he realises how hard it is for local kids to uproot and go try make a name for themselves across a continent. He had it easy brought across as a marquee $$$ signing and picked up his toys and ran away at the first sign of trouble.
    There has to be a higher level of representation in the state than the Spirit even if they play (at first) inferior competition. The key is to ensure the pthway remains open to Wallaby representation and if course the almighty $

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast