Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Indo Pacific league

vCash
    Zim it's no longer about a pathway for WA Kids

In 2020 SANZAaR will have dissolved, THe Yarpies will play in their time zone, The ARU will be irrelevant because they are no longer a Tier one nation and New Zealand will be left to rue the days they lorded their considerable power in such a way.....that is what has killed the competition.

At that point in time, the Sydney teams will need a place to play to remain relevant.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Without recognition from the ARU or World Rugby I doubt the pathway to representing the Wallabies would be there, not without having to swap from the proposed new competition to move interstate anyway to play for a side in a sanctioned ARU competition.

vCash
    After the Adelaide meeting the ARU included this in their statement........

"Some of this discussion focussed on competitions and the pathways for young players to the highest levels of the game, the community game and women’s Rugby.

“We look forward to engaging further with Andrew and RugbyWA and sharing the plans with WA’s passionate Rugby community."

On the available evidence this means we can expect them to throw every conceivable obstacle at the new comp.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yes, World Rugby endorsement is essential.

I see the idea of using it to strengthen Pacific Islands and Asia is a really good piece of brinkmanship from Twiggy.

World Rugby has been bleating about the dearth of meaningful competition for these teams, this is a challenge from a man who has the wherewithal to solve that problem. The inclusion of Womens' and Sevens' rugby perform the same action......he's hitting every press release about the things that World Rugby value and daring them to stop him.

The only way World Rugby can credibly say no is to propose a "better" solution, which he knows damn well they can't afford.

I'm not saying they'll say yes, but if they don't he'll have plenty of ammunition to continue the fight.

I just hope he devotes as much energy to getting rid of the current ARU management structure.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't forget the Philippine Volcanoes, they play in the existing Asian Comp and have great facilities for a tour

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    I have hope the ARU are going to get someone tough to replace pulver and the first thing they will do is ring Twiggy and offer full support!! After they replace all the board. A girl can dream 😊

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Don't forget the Philippine Volcanoes, they play in the existing Asian Comp and have great facilities for a tour
    Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-2N5emW7A

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    No BnB, Golf Courses, Bars, tropical islands and massive shopping malls for the ladies too

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let's not forget NZ Maori as a possible team either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Let's not forget NZ Maori as a possible team either.
    That NZ Barbarians/Grassroots squad that played against the Lions would be a good shout. Picking up a similar idea Hodgo said about NSW/QLD Country being possibilities.

I think if the comp could pick up the untapped resources and put them to use the respective unions surely would be happy with that.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another consideration for wildly basing teams, I've played in Singapore and Malaysia and it's like playing in a sweaty armpit...
    Minimum night fixtures, if not enclosed and aircon stadia, would be required for player welfare in the tropics.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    The east coast excrement can doubt Twiggy all they want but they forget that this is a guy who took on Rio Tinto and BHP from scratch and carved out a very nice piece of the mining sector for himself which has seen him earn a dividend check for $450 million this year alone, with another healthy dividend coming again next year. What do they have running the ARU? A bunch of puppets who get parachuted into cushy roles they are incapable of performing, 3 key administrative positions empty and a chairman who looked like a lost schoolboy being told off by the principal at his press conference yesterday. The only power the ARU has is its insistence on hiding behind SANZAAR, an organization that has destroyed its own competition.
    A breakaway competition has every chance of succeeding. And every chance of failing but with the people involved in the breakaway competition, i am optimistic it can be done. The ARU will try to protect itself by throwing roadblocks in the way but i think Twiggy will use them as speed bumps. Obviously the ARU will try and block access to Wallabies players but i wouldn't be surprised if a few high profile names came across to get the ball rolling. Sprinkle some high profile players from Europe, New Zealand, South Africa and wherever else around the comp and we at least have a starting point. Get some favourable broadcasters on board, especially free to air, into Asia and around the world and we could very easily out earn the $55 million a year Foxtel pays the ARU. Sponsors sick and tired with the ARU could switch over too, especially someone like BuildCorp to help with the Womens side of the comp. We have some reffing talent in Perth who could get their chance to become internationally recognized to start the competition. Get World Rugby to sanction the comp as it helps development of tiers1 through 500 in their grading system of nations.
    The ARU could very well be bankrupt by 2020. Crowds for Super Rugby are disappearing, crowds for the Wallabies are disappearing, average Joe Public sees them as incompetent and corrupt, grassroots could not give a stuff about them, they still have 4 financially frail franchises to prop up, they will be dragged through the courts by RugbyWA and the WA government for breaches of the trade practices act, dragged through a senate inquiry and most likely a TV investigation too. Clyne has no idea of the shitstorm that is coming his way and the ARUs way.

Having said all that, i look forward to my 13th year as a Force member in our new competition. I hope you all join me. Viva la Revolution!!!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Having said all that, i look forward to my 13th year as a Force member in our new competition. I hope you all join me. Viva la Revolution!!!
    it's been heading towards revolution since inception, with all the bullshit we have seen year after year starting with no setup assistance, fining us for player payments but not Reds Tahs or Brumbies etc etc etc

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Rookie
    vCash
    I think there are 2 critical things for this to be success. First is to be formally recognized by the IRB. If not, then you will not get the players. Second is for every team to be stupid rich. Obviously Perth and China are fine, but can Singapore or other countries willing to invest millions in facilities and players. Sure Perth will attract Australian players who want a pay raise, but will HK? So the money (and facilities) has to be close to European/Japan money. It will be interesting to see if the teams are independently run or centrally (including salaries, etc).

I think the Wallabies opportunity will be less of a roadblock for blokes who can stay close to home, and eventually the FUARU will recognise it as a legitimate pathway or lose out an a significant amount of players. And if we add a NZ team, that may recognize it as a pathway as well, improving the player pool for all teams.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Re team locations - I suggest that identifying the billionaire backers will go a long way towards locating the teams (if this turns out to be an IPL style affair).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast