Page 96 of 149 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2231

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    More ARU propaganda bs from Iain Payten

ARU boss Bill Pulver questions taxpayer-funded Senate inquiry into Australia rugby and Force axing
    Iain Payten, The Daily Telegraph
    October 18, 2017 6:15pm
    Subscriber only
    OUTGOING ARU boss Bill Pulver believes the Senate inquiry into Australian rugby has been an imprudent use of taxpayer money and said its findings won’t change anything.

The third and final hearing of the Senate inquiry was held in Canberra on Monday night, with ARU chairman Cameron Clyne fronting up for questioning. Pulver previously appeared at the inquiry’s first hearing in Perth.

The inquiry, titled “Future of rugby union in Australia”, was the result of lobbying by WA Liberal Senator Linda Reynolds.

In often feisty exchanges, Force-supporter Reynolds pursued the ARU on why they’d cut the WA club ahead of the Melbourne Rebels, despite the latter club being a bigger drain on ARU resources over the last seven years.

Reynolds focused heavily on the probity of the ARU’s deal to sell the Rebels to private owner Andrew Cox in 2015, and the fairness of the ARU entering an alliance agreement with Rugby WA to keep the Force from insolvency in 2016.

Clyne said the decision to keep the Rebels ahead of the Force was down to a “superior” and tabled financial package from Victoria, as opposed to vague “promises” from WA and high-profile supporter Andrew Forrest.

ALLEGATION: ARU money ‘used to support lavish lifestyles’

The Senate committee will publish a report on November 13 but Pulver questioned why the inquiry had occurred at all.

“To be frank it has been a problematic process,” he said.

“We had an extremely difficult task of eliminating a Super Rugby team for all the reasons we have explained ad nauseam, and the vast majority of the Australian rugby community support that decision,” Pulver told the Daily Telegraph.

“And yet we have ended up in a Senate inquiry. My own personal view — and I stress it is personal — is that is not a sensible use of public funds. I don’t think it will result in outcomes that will change anything at all.

“So no I am not entirely happy with it but we are living with it and we will go through with it and we will wait and hear the report in November when it comes out.”

The ARU’s wider frustrations with the Senate inquiry were made clear by Clyne in his testimony when he expressed his disappointment at “criticism, disrespect and even laughter Mr Pulver faced” in his appearance, and the hostility of the inquiry.

“It has been disappointing to observe the line and tone of questioning in previous hearings, which mostly focused on the sale of the Melbourne Rebels to Imperium Sports Management, rather than on the future of Australian rugby,” Clyne said.

When Senator Reynolds later argued the ARU was open to public scrutiny because they received some government funding, Clyne said their decision “was within our governance rights and was legal and, based on financial criteria, was the right decision.”

“There are 19 sports in Australia that receive more money than the ARU,” he continued.

“So it’s interesting that a decision that was both legal and within our governance rights, and supported by our members, is the first cab off the rank for an inquiry when there are 19 other sports that receive, in some cases, 20 times as much?”

Pulver’s comments came as he announced a three-match series to be played against Ireland in June next year.

The Test series — the first of its kind against a touring Ireland team — will see Tests in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney in what will be the last June series before a global calendar shifts inbound tours to July in 2020.

The ARU hosted the President of Ireland Michael Higgins for a lunch in Sydney prior to the announcement.

The topic turned quickly to Ireland’s bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup, up against France and South Africa. After bid presentations last month, a vote of World Rugby — including Australia — will be held next month to determine who wins.

President Higgins said his talks with the ARU were “very positive” and that he was optimistic Australia would back Ireland. Pulver declined to give any hints but said Ireland’s was “a superb quality bid”.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Some good stuff in there,

See if you can pick which TWFers wrote them.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Are they worth a look? I don't think my blood pressure could take reading a whole lot more BS today
    Short answer no.

long answer Fuck no

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    It was pretty badly written for a QC.
    no it was deliberately vague and challenged the clarity of the question based upon every irregularity he could find in the letter (triumphantly beginning by telling them they have made a mistake) He has written it in such a way as to answer the question without divulging that he did actually meet Cox at that Weary Dunlop lunch.

It was slimy, manipulative and clever

I am pretty sure it was said in the Inquiry that Clarke has up to a dozen questions on notice as he was sloppy and not really credible.
    he'd be pretty remiss not to answer them they're included in the letter sent to him by the Inquiry secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Maybe. But he forgot all about it.
    He'll have lots of time to reconsider once he's charged for contempt.

C'mon the

vCash
    It was slimy, manipulative and clever
    That would be the case if it was coherent and not appeared to be typed up by a fifth grader.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    More ARU propaganda bs from Iain Payten

ARU boss Bill Pulver questions taxpayer-funded Senate inquiry into Australia rugby and Force axing
    Iain Payten, The Daily Telegraph
    October 18, 2017 6:15pm
    Subscriber only
    OUTGOING ARU boss Bill Pulver believes the Senate inquiry into Australian rugby has been an imprudent use of taxpayer money and said its findings won’t change anything. - I agree with Bill, if this corrupt disgrace does not change anything it will have been a waste of time and money

The third and final hearing of the Senate inquiry was held in Canberra on Monday night, with ARU chairman Cameron Clyne fronting up for questioning. Pulver previously appeared at the inquiry’s first hearing in Perth.

The inquiry, titled “Future of rugby union in Australia”, was the result of lobbying by WA Liberal Senator Linda Reynolds.

In often feisty exchanges, Force-supporter Reynolds pursued the ARU on why they’d cut the WA club ahead of the Melbourne Rebels, despite the latter club being a bigger drain on ARU resources over the last seven years.

Reynolds focused heavily on the probity of the ARU’s deal to sell the Rebels to private owner Andrew Cox in 2015, and the fairness of the ARU entering an alliance agreement with Rugby WA to keep the Force from insolvency in 2016.

Rebels - supporter (If Linda is a Force supporter, then Clyne has to be classed as a Rebels supporter) Clyne said the decision to keep the Rebels ahead of the Force was down to a “superior” and tabled financial package (if it was that simple, show us the tabled package) from Victoria, as opposed to vague “promises” from WA and high-profile supporter Andrew Forrest.

ALLEGATION: ARU money ‘used to support lavish lifestyles’

The Senate committee will publish a report on November 13 but Pulver questioned why the inquiry had occurred at all.

“To be frank it has been a problematic process,” he said. Only for you Clarke and Clyne, nobody else has complained about it yet.

“We had an extremely difficult task of justifying (you missed that word) eliminating a Super Rugby team for all the reasons we have explained ad nauseam, and the vast majority of the Australian rugby community support that decision,” Pulver told the Daily Telegraph. So he only told the DT, how unusual.

“And yet we have ended up in a Senate inquiry. My own personal view — and I stress it is personal — is that is not a sensible use of public funds. I don’t think it will result in outcomes that will change anything at all.

“So no I am not entirely happy with it but we are living with it and we will go through with it and we will wait and hear the report in November when it comes out.” Bill will probably be in the Bahamas or somewhere nice when come out you bet that for sure and not available for comment.

The ARU’s wider frustrations with the Senate inquiry were made clear by Clyne in his testimony when he expressed his disappointment at “criticism, disrespect and even laughter Mr Pulver faced” in his appearance, and the hostility of the inquiry. There would be no laughter if their lack of evidence or memory wasn't such a joke.

“It has been disappointing to observe the line and tone of questioning in previous hearings, which mostly focused on the sale of the Melbourne Rebels to Imperium Sports Management, rather than on the future of Australian rugby,” Clyne said.

When Senator Reynolds later argued the ARU was open to public scrutiny because they received some government funding, Clyne said their decision “was within our governance rights and was legal and, based on financial criteria, was the right decision.” Show us the criteria if it is that clear, clean and cut, otherwise you are hiding something.

“There are 19 sports in Australia that receive more money than the ARU,” he continued.

“So it’s interesting that a decision that was both legal and within our governance rights, and supported by our members, is the first cab off the rank for an inquiry when there are 19 other sports that receive, in some cases, 20 times as much?” None of them have destroyed their code the way the ARU has, so no need to investigate.

Pulver’s comments came as he announced a three-match series to be played against Ireland in June next year.

The Test series — the first of its kind against a touring Ireland team — will see Tests in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney in what will be the last June series before a global calendar shifts inbound tours to July in 2020.

The ARU hosted the President of Ireland Michael Higgins for a lunch in Sydney prior to the announcement.

The topic turned quickly to Ireland’s bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup, up against France and South Africa. After bid presentations last month, a vote of World Rugby — including Australia — will be held next month to determine who wins.

President Higgins said his talks with the ARU were “very positive” (hope there were no paperbags full of euro's "just laying on the table")and that he was optimistic Australia would back Ireland. Pulver declined to give any hints but said Ireland’s was “a superb quality bid”.
    Just some notes to the above.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Absolutely you nailed it.

GIGS20 you need to change your signature.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I really think we should set up a petition to present to Michael Higgins in Dublin for a Test match here in Perth. Surely we have some Irish here who may have contacts to polliticians in Dublin to network. Pulver's obviously brainwashed and sucked up to Michael promising support for their bid - little does he know he's making deals with the Devil. FFS - is there ANY justice going to happen in all of this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I really think we should set up a petition to present to Michael Higgins in Dublin for a Test match here in Perth. Surely we have some Irish here who may have contacts to polliticians in Dublin to network. Pulver's obviously brainwashed and sucked up to Michael promising support for their bid - little does he know he's making deals with the Devil. FFS - is there ANY justice going to happen in all of this?
    I think Ireland v WA would be nice. Just like that game way back when but hopefully a lot closer. Bugger the Wallabies.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I have just emailed Mick Murray as regards having the Irish team play in Perth in our shiny new stadium! Michael Higgins needs to be fully filled in on the cockroaches he's dealing with in the ARU!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I have just emailed Mick Murray as regards having the Irish team play in Perth in our shiny new stadium! Michael Higgins needs to be fully filled in on the cockroaches he's dealing with in the ARU!
    McGowan said he was pretty clear on not having the Wallabies over in Perth until the ARU or whoever pull their heads in

vCash
    I have just read Clarke and North's answers to the questions on notice. North is trying to play dumb in not knowing what the question, be pompous and not who they met. It was pretty badly written for a QC.

Clarke said he was at the Weary Dunlop Club lunch on at 6th February 2015 but can't recall who he met and who was in attendance.
    I am pretty sure it was said in the Inquiry that Clarke has up to a dozen questions on notice as he was sloppy and not really credible.
    McGowan said he was pretty clear on not having the Wallabies over in Perth until the ARU or whoever pull their heads in
    I would love to see a Wallabies test match here in Perth now.

You could easily accommodate the crowd at Lark Hill

C'mon the

vCash
    I won’t be going to any Wallabies games. I certainly want to see the BaaBaas give the Wallatahs a good spanking but non of my moola is going any where near the FUARU!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Ooh, Rea ding my post back I can see how you mistook it for me saying I'd attend.

That was completely not my intention.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Ooh, Rea ding my post back I can see how you mistook it for me saying I'd attend.

That was completely not my intention.
    That happens regularly at ARU board meetings and Weary Dunlop Club lunches.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 96 of 149 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 ... LastLast