Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Appeal Dismissed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I would imagine the Qld Reds expected to be able to sign Genia and have the ARU foot the bill once they told them they couldn't afford to actually pay him themselves.
    That IS the way it's always been though. You can understand their disappointment.

Yet again, I ask, what have they done with the extra 30 Million per year?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    And it's what they have done for Beale isn't it? And Beale's being paid $200K a year more than Genia.....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I would imagine the Qld Reds expected to be able to sign Genia and have the ARU foot the bill once they told them they couldn't afford to actually pay him themselves.
    The scuttlebutt is that the reds are 7m in the red....interesting to see what happens if correct and that particular bill comes due.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    The scuttlebutt is that the reds are 7m in the red....interesting to see what happens if correct and that particular bill comes due.
    Going off topic here but, This also informs the massive push to get another Brisbane team into the A-league to replace the roar's incoming rent at ballymore after they move to their new facility.
    They'd get it renovated and then finally be able to stage some of their SR games there.

Last edited by jono; 18-09-17 at 11:31.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    This past few weeks I've had conversations with links in Sydney who include old rugby mates from the North Shore. They are still involved in Club Rugby, a couple have involvement with the NSWRU and none of them are friends of the "St Leonards Rodeo", although they do talk to people in the ARU sometimes.
    Comments made:
    1. There are people in NSW rugby circles who are dismayed by the way that the ARU has handled the culling of the Western Force - unfair, insensitive, unnecessarily confrontational, vindictive, etc.
    2. The ARU was focussed only on removing the Force, no thought or planning was given to what happens to rugby in WA after the Force is gone.
    3. A couple said the ARU's present cuddling up to Twiggy Forrest over the IPRC is a diversionary tactic by the ARU. The IPRC won't go anywhere with the current ARU. Expected outcome is both parties walking away and accusing the other of bad faith and of not compromising. The ARU is worth bugger all, said one mate - Twiggy should buy it.

All of the above is rumour and gossip.

A side comment by one of them who does business in QLD - the Queenslanders are totally pissed off with the ARU over the Genia episode.
    Wouldn't mind these comments being passed on to Twiggy & Sinders in case they weren't already aware.

vCash
    I wonder if they will be required to sell their license and disband their team?

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    If that scuttlebutt is correct, it is dynamite to hand to the senators! Have you actually seen it or heard somewhere that can be quoted?
    Given that a NSW/Qld laden board did not even consider NSW or Qld for the cull review spreadsheet.

Not unlikely that both Reds and Tahs could have traded at big losses this year, with the crowd sizes well down on their budget.
    Anybody know if their financial end of year is 30/6/17 or 31/12/17?

Questions for the senators. Will the ARU bail them out? Will the ARU make them put their Super licences on the table. Will the ARU allow Twiggy to buy one of the licence?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Re Genia - are they pissed off because they couldn't get him back to the Reds or that he's back at all??
    I think that it's all about salary caps and the urgent need for the Rebels to become financially viable (or at least to reduce the extent of their losses).

This is my understanding:
    1. Will Genia wanted to leave Stade Francais and return to Australia in 2018-2019.
    2. He made it clear that he wanted to play for Queensland but he did not want to take a large cut in the salary he had been getting from the French.
    3. Queensland couldn't afford him because it would have pushed them over the salary cap and the ARU would not let them do that.
    4. The ARU needs the Rebels to start winning games and getting the cash flowing in (or at least stem the cash flowing out), so it wants the Rebels to boost their playing list.
    5. The Rebels have no problem with their salary cap (at present) so Genia has joined the Rebels.
    6. If the ARU has its way, then the key Western Force refugees will be going to Melbourne (along with Wessels).
    7. But that could cause the Rebels to exceed the salary cap.
    8. So the ARU may lift the salary cap for the Rebels (and only the Rebels).
    9. Which will make the other three SR franchises very ...

As one of my North Sydney mates commented, in culling the Force and justifying the cull by proclaiming that this action will solve a lot of Rugby's problems in Australia, the ARU has bet the house on the Rebels becoming financially viable in the next couple of years.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Wouldn't mind these comments being passed on to Twiggy & Sinders in case they weren't already aware.
    Not a good idea in my view - those comments are rumour, gossip and speculation (albeit informed speculation).

vCash
    You would hope that any franchise looking for a bailout now would be forced to give their license to the ARU.
    As incompetent as they are, they should've learnt from this fiasco that they need to have more control over the franchises.
    You would also think they would attach some KPI's to any additional money handed out.

I'm probably overestimating them though....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would hope that the ARU would sell the others the same BS they sold us in 2016 when they said they would be moving to a central model like NZ and that we were just the first cab off the rank and if successful they'd be rolling it out to all the other franchises.....yada yada yada

Given that the ARU ended up culling us thanks to that BS and the ensuing "Alliance" Agreement, I'd have thought that a major success from the ARU's perspective so who will be the next cab off the rank, Clyne???

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Not a good idea in my view - those comments are rumour, gossip and speculation (albeit informed speculation).
    Agreed, better to add it to a senate inquiry submission as questions that require an answer.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Folks, I'm looking for the quote from the ARU (possibly Clyne or Pulver) stating that the ARU had known for a long time that 5 teams were not viable. Or possibly that Super 18 wasn't viable. Anyone got a link?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Folks, I'm looking for the quote from the ARU (possibly Clyne or Pulver) stating that the ARU had known for a long time that 5 teams were not viable. Or possibly that Super 18 wasn't viable. Anyone got a link?
    “Almost immediately upon expansion to five teams it became apparent that Australia could not sustain that number of teams,” Clyne said.

and
    “I acknowledge the mistake of that decision (to sign up for Super 18) but at the time, there wasn’t an option to drop to four teams,” Clyne said.

“Yes we heard those warnings but we didn’t have the option of reducing teams without compensation."

So he basically confessed he had heard the warnings to not go to super 18 but they were more interested in the $$$

All quotes from http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...fefe1f476f9374

Player
    vCash
    Thanks volvo - you're a champion

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast