Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Forrest hits back at Australian Rugby Union claims about Western Force axeing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    The thing that bothers me in all of this is that the legal advice given to the ARU that there is no legal obligation to retain the Force due to the renegotiation of the broadcast deal and that the Alliance Agreement will be null and void at the end of the 2017 season. So we still need a favourable decision from the Judge for us to stay alive. If we get that decision then we can take the ARU to the cleaners if we choose.
    When was the broadcast deal changed? Did they get this advice prior to changing the deal?

What I am getting at is did the ARU seek advice on how to void the Alliance agreement? This would be a huge deal if true.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They asked for advice if they could chop a team before February. Answer in February was no, unless they get a new broadcast deal after 2017 which allows them to chop the Force (only the Force). Before SANZAAR, before Day of Infamy.

The new (actually renegotiated) broadcast deal was the mechanism to chop the Force, not the Force being a casualty of the new deal. It's why they didn't veto it, the wanted it, they NEEDED it.

Surely all of this contravenes contract law and the alliance agreement.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The RUPA are useless. We're better off on our own.
    Agreed, RUPA are a joke as far as being a players association is concerned. Similar to RLPA until Prendergast became CEO and Cameron Smith president. Unfortunately rugby union does not have a person of Cameron Smith's stature to push things along.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The RUPA are useless. We're better off on our own.
    Agreed. I keep trying to compare them to the ACA and how THEY handled the crisis in cricket.
    Chalk and cheese really.

Rookie
    vCash
    So can someone explain does this actually do anything? I know it looks bad but does it change the process that has happened? IE are there now grounds to over turn the cutting of the license should the appeal fail? No one seems to be saying anything around the impact of this "bombshell".
    A group litigation for mental health and stress will gather steam and bring a sizable payout either way i am sure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    Unfortunately rugby union does not have a person of Cameron Smith's stature to push things along.
    There was such a person. Unfortunately he is at least on the wrong side of the argument. At worst he is one of the conspirators. I still struggle to believe a bloke with his lofty standing is flushing it down the crapper. I hope it somehow turns out that he's not been fully aware of what's gone on.

Champion
    vCash
    [QUOTE=sittingbison;438580]They asked for advice if they could chop a team before February. Answer in February was no, unless they get a new broadcast deal after 2017 which allows them to chop the Force (only the Force). Before SANZAAR, before Day of Infamy.

The new (actually renegotiated) broadcast deal was the mechanism to chop the Force, not the Force being a casualty of the new deal. It's why they didn't veto it, the wanted it, they NEEDED it.

Surely all of this contravenes contract law and the alliance agreement
    ARU bows to NZ pressure to cut Super Rugby franchise

10 Apr, 2017
    Greg Growden
    ESPN
    Australia has again been revealed as the weak link in the SANZAAR relationship by bowing to pressure from several areas, including New Zealand, and agreeing to hand back one of its Super Rugby licences while getting nothing in return.

The Australian playing ranks were deeply angered when it was revealed the Super Rugby tournament would be cut back to a 15-team tournament next year and an Australian province -- almost certainly the Western Force -- would be axed.

The players will be furious to discover also that the Australian broadcaster -- Fox Sports -- told the ARU in recent days that its preferred position was the retention of the five Australian teams, including the Force, especially as Perth matches rated well on the pay-TV.
    ESPN has been told by several high-ranking sources that Fox Sports executives were eager for a Super 15 format that excluded the three latest additions to the tournament -- the Jaguares, Sunwolves and Southern Kings. Fox Sports' preference is understood to be a competition involving five teams each from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. However, Fox Sports was told by ARU officials that "pressure had been applied" to get rid of one of their Australian teams. So Fox Sports relented, opting 'to fall into line'.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...ugby-franchise

Pressure had been applied by whom exactly? Did Foxtel speak with SANZAAR? Did Foxtel speak with NZ? Or has the ARU used their major broadcast partner as a pawn in a grander deception?

Duping your business partners is not a good way to do business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    There was such a person. Unfortunately he is at least on the wrong side of the argument. At worst he is one of the conspirators. I still struggle to believe a bloke with his lofty standing is flushing it down the crapper. I hope it somehow turns out that he's not been fully aware of what's gone on.
    Given the board decision was unanimous (minus Geoff Stooke) I dare say John Eales was aware.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    But even if he was not fully aware, he surely is now. How he is remembered will depend on how he responds.

vCash
    Still nothing coming back from the FUARU! Like most things with them ignore it and it's not there!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Probably Putting together some BS with their very busy legal people!

vCash
    Hopefully they are dictating their resignation letters for the lawyers to look over too!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Prospect
    vCash
    This whole time line is diabolical... lucky the spanner in their works is that the Force didn't tank this year.

Imagine where we'd be if we wooden spooned again.

Thank you players.. coaches and all staff

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    My initial questions following Twiggy's revelation:

1. If the advice was received in February, when was it requested by the ARU?

2. Why did the ARU seek the legal advice? Was it prompted by a pre-Feb conversation with SANZAAR? If so, it means the ARU went to that meeting in April with only one name to throw in the ring - the Force.

3. What was the reason for the whole charade from April onwards? What was it that was so secret that the ARU felt it appropriate to leave about 60 of their own employees and their families in emotional turmoil for months? Not to mention fork out loads on lawyers AND waste the court's time.

4. Will RUPA now PLEASE do something and sue the ARU or at the very least make an OHS complaint against the Board on behalf of its members for the bullying and emotional ill-health that they DELIBERATELY inflicted on these poor, innocent souls.

5. Will a journalist with some integrity and editorial independence please now shine a bright light on this whole fiasco and expose these sub-humans for the morally-bankrupt charlatans, liars, cheats that they are.

I have been looking at this from a different angle. And I think that while these questions are important we have missed one very important point.

The Intellectual Property Rights.

1. Who first came up with the idea to go after the Western Force IPR?

2. Was there legal advice that said that buying owning one of the Teams IPR they could then legally terminate that team.

3. Why wasnt the IPR's of the Melbourne Rebels or the Brumbies acquired?

The IPR's were acquired 2 years ago. The plan to cull a team must have been in place prior to that.

What ever the outcome of Supreme Court hearing later this week (or next week). We must fight for the Western Force IPR's
    to be given/purchased back.

Otherwise what ever we do next. That is continue to compete in Super Rugby or compete in the Forrest Cup. WE will continue to be tied to our owners - The ARU.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Apprentice
    vCash
    Twiggy's press conference on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAwaEbITFVc

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast