Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NRL to Christen Burswood Stadium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post

I'm loving it.
    I have never done the social media thing. Except for a rarely visited BookFace account. For the first time I feel like I'm missing out. It'll pass

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Written by Glen Quartermain

THIS week’s award for mind-numbing myopia requires zero debate.

It’s first place and daylight second to those narrow-minded folk squabbling over who opens Perth Stadium.

Seriously? The steam rising off a fresh cow pat should be a greater concern; and that’s a pretty good metaphor for the argument that has cut through mainstream news, social media and talkback radio.

Taxpayers – yes, that’s all of us – who have footed the bill of nearly $2 billion to build the showpiece stadium that literally sparkles like a jewel on the Burswood Peninsula should welcome the State Government’s announcement that the National Rugby League will play a blockbuster double-header there two weeks before the Dockers and Eagles begin their 2018 campaigns.

South Sydney and Canterbury will host afternoon and evening matches on Saturday, March 10 against yet-to-be-decided opponents. The AFL season opens 12 days later.

It’s the third key plank in a sponsorship deal which features a World Cup double-header at nib Stadium on November 12 and a State of Origin game at Perth Stadium in 2019.

The early estimates are the South Sydney-Canterbury double will attract 45,000 league fans, with about 3000 tourists travelling from interstate, and an injection of $2.25 million for the WA economy.

Isn’t that good news in these straitened times?

The bottom line is the investment is huge and the State needs returns as soon as possible.

Put it this way, if you built a $2 billion investment property, wouldn’t you want tenants in it as soon as possible?

Besides, it won’t be the first event at the stadium. That “honour” will probably be bestowed on cricket, a game as entrenched in West Australian culture as Aussie Rules, with a one-dayer scheduled between Australia and England on January 28.

Cricket Australia and the WA Cricket Association hope the venue is ready in time to stage the 50-over game.

Even if that doesn’t go ahead, there will be “soft” openings anyway with minor, as yet undertermined events scheduled to fine tune the stadium’s operations. Those “events” may well be AFL pre-season games, AFLX or AFLW. So footy might get the nod anyway.

But does it really matter?

AFL will be the major tenant and West Coast and Fremantle fans are about to be spoilt rotten with a luxury, modern stadium. Be happy, people.

And they should be happy because if they divorce themselves from the romance of Domain, its history and their lifetime association with Subi, it’s tired and out of step with modern comfort levels demanded by the “theatre goers” who will fill the new stadium. They pay good coin that they work hard to earn and so demand bigger seats, cup holders, better amenities, spectacular sound and light systems.

And if the NRL wants a lick of the ice cream, who can begrudge them that?

It’s not as if league has been sitting on its backside doing nothing.

Next year, South Sydney will celebrate the 10th anniversary of playing NRL games in Perth. Melbourne Storm, Manly, NZ Warriors, Canterbury, Brisbane and the Gold Coast have all been willing participants.

That’s not forgetting the NRL played a Test at nib Stadium last October.

So let’s give the NRL its dues - and aren’t league fans taxpayers too?

Sports Minister Mick Murray sounded a bit bewildered by it all when he spoke this week.

“Who cares about who opens it? Let the people of WA get out there and enjoy it,” he said.

“That stadium has cost us nearly $2 billion and here we are saying ‘who is going to open it’. For God’s sake, get over it.

“It is a stadium for all West Australians, not just one particular sport.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl...f1f063260011b3

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    The outcry from some AFL types in the media is great to watch. Age of entitlement issues I think they have.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Will make for a good trivia question in a decade or so...

So, let me get this straight though, tickets are already on sale for a double header that only the "home" teams are known for?
    I guess that gives them a chance to get more numbers for the "home" teams supporters.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    AFL now trying to organise a Women AFL match at the new stadium ahead of the NRL double-header...!!!

Hope the $$$ for hosting these 'first' matches are set at a huge premium!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    AFL now trying to organise a Women AFL match at the new stadium ahead of the NRL double-header...!!!

Hope the $$$ for hosting these 'first' matches are set at a huge premium!
    They're trying to make a big splash with the attendance for the women's AFL match - by making tickets $2 each! At that rate, they only need to sell out events daily for the next 36 years to pay off the stadium!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    With all due respect and I don't mind who opens it but NRL can stick it. They had their chance when they had the western Force. I don't want to watch eastern state teams play off against each other. My patriotic mantra is a team from the west don't care what sport just a team from the west or a national team. Why not have a special events match wa vs qld in cricket its 40 years since the miracle match. I'd be happy with that 😃. Anyway just like the ARU I still hold a grudge with NRL over the demise of the Reds. Who would've thought I'd be so angry and vindictive after all this time! W

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Oops western reds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Why not have a special events match wa vs qld in cricket its 40 years since the miracle match. I'd be happy with that 😃
    That's what I'd love to see, something involving WA's sporting history. If not having WA play Queensland, then at least field the Scorchers against the touring English. Be good if they could bring out Lillee and Richards to re-enact that over!

As far as Aussie Rules is concerned, screw the AFL; but why doesn't the WAFL do something? At least something to commemorate WA's actual footy heritage, rather than the AFL-franchise stuff. Maybe a day of WAFL derbies with all the old players on parade? Something like that?

Next year is also the 35th anniversary of WA beating the Socceroos for that matter.

Would be funny if RugbyWA staged a Perth Spirit match there! When's the stadium finished anyway? In time for the Spirit vs Drua grand final???

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    That's what I'd love to see, something involving WA's sporting history. If not having WA play Queensland, then at least field the Scorchers against the touring English. Be good if they could bring out Lillee and Richards to re-enact that over!

As far as Aussie Rules is concerned, screw the AFL; but why doesn't the WAFL do something? At least something to commemorate WA's actual footy heritage, rather than the AFL-franchise stuff. Maybe a day of WAFL derbies with all the old players on parade? Something like that?

Next year is also the 35th anniversary of WA beating the Socceroos for that matter.

Would be funny if RugbyWA staged a Perth Spirit match there! When's the stadium finished anyway? In time for the Spirit vs Drua grand final???
    No. Current scheduled completion date is Jan 21st, so Australia Day events could be held there!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3