Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ARU opens door to helping hand from Twiggy Forrest - (Maybe?)

vCash

ARU opens door to helping hand from Twiggy Forrest - (Maybe?)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...5cf8e0e30f5741

WAYNE SMITH
    Senior sport writerBrisbane
    @WayneKeithSmith

Billionaire Perth mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has *offered to broaden his support from merely the Western Force and RugbyWA to also include rugby generally through Australia — but, until now, he has been snubbed by the Australian Rugby Union.

That should be music to the ears of the embattled ARU, which was forced to embark on its high-risk strategy of culling one of its five Super Rugby teams precisely because it was running short of money.

Forrest, after all, has given away $400 million to charity over the past year and he and his wife Nicole have indicated they want to give away the majority of their wealth during their lifetimes.

That such a person should come knocking on the door of Australian rugby should have been the answer to every work-related prayer ARU chairman Cameron Clyne and chief executive Bill Pulver have offered up in recent times. Instead, the ARU hierarchy has shunned Forrest, declining him even the chance to discuss the matter face-to-face.

In a letter yesterday to Clyne and the ARU board of directors, a copy of which was leaked to The Weekend Australian, Forrest repeated his offer to help the game nationally on condition that the ARU reinstate the Force’s Super Rugby licence.

“As an Australian philanthropist and businessman, who is offering my full support to the Western Force, to RugbyWA and rugby generally in Australia, your approach to hiding behind litigation, instead of leadership, is personally and deeply upsetting to me,” Forrest wrote. “I do expect to be treated respectfully and I do not expect to be lied to (and) then repeatedly denied an audience with you.”

The letter, however, might yet produce a good outcome, with an ARU spokesman indicating to this newspaper that while Clyne had not yet responded to Forrest, he was inclined to grant him the meeting he requests.

Nonetheless, Forrest still had not received a reply eight hours after emailing the letter to the national union.

“Hearing that the ARU would meet with me via the media is no more reliable than the ARU’s initial assurance that they would talk to me once arbitration was over,” Forrest said. “They did exactly the opposite. They have not mailed a response or picked up the phone. Making representations to the media and not to me directly does not hold water.”

The ARU initially deferred a proposed meeting with Forrest while it was involved in arbitration proceedings with the Force, claiming it would meet with him after the hearing was over. Yet within hours of winning the arbitration result last Friday, it moved to discontinue the Force as a Super Rugby entity.

In response, the Force had lodged their intention to apply for leave to appeal the decision in the NSW Supreme Court. The hearing has been set for Wednesday and if the Force are granted leave, it is understood their appeal could then be heard immediately.

“Win or lose the appeal, you, the board, should show leadership and support the Western Force, if only because it’s the right thing to do. My support for the Western Force will not waiver,” Forrest wrote.

Forrest complained that the continual refusal of the ARU to consider alternative solutions to shutting the Western Force down was a “terrible indictment” of the national body’s stewardship.

“I have made it abundantly clear to the ARU that my support extends nationally but is predicated on the national union conforming to the basic values of the game which seeks to nurture, support, and grow rugby on a national footprint.

“This is not leadership. It is shockingly poor governance. The current crisis you have created is a neglect of your duties as directors and a fundamental breach of your duties to the game.”

The ARU could head off a potential crisis on another front by reinstating the Force, with the Western Australian government understood to be considering legal action after having spent around $120 million on upgrading nib Stadium for use by the team as their home ground.

Meanwhile, the Force will hold a public rally at their Perth headquarters at 9.30am tomorrow to give their supporters a chance to vent their rage at the ARU. Captain Matt Hodgson and newly-resigned ARU director Geoff Stooke will address the gathering.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Would not exactly say "leaked" of Mr Forrest's letter. Published on Neddies site and here would be more like it. But I suppose the journo who's been almost as supportive as AJ is entitled to piss in his own pocket a little.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Gosh he is generous and may have a meeting with with Twiggy. Any sponsorship should be on condition that the Force stays and that Clyne resigns immediately..

vCash
    Pleased to see Andrew Forrest is maintaining the rage AND looking for solutions based on the Force being reinstated, if we do happen to win our appeal this approach could be bloody important.

Keep going Andrew, please

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "...while Clyne had not yet responded to Forrest, he was inclined to grant him the meeting he requests."

Inclined to grant him the meeting! Who the fuck does Clyne think he is. Someone seeking a meeting is proposing to help Australian rugby and Clyne obfuscates. Clyne's job as Chairman of the ARU is to protect the game, he has a duty to meet Forrest. What a knob!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos2012 View Post
    "...while Clyne had not yet responded to Forrest, he was inclined to grant him the meeting he requests."

Inclined to grant him the meeting! Who the fuck does Clyne think he is. Someone seeking a meeting is proposing to help Australian rugby and Clyne obfuscates. Clyne's job as Chairman of the ARU is to protect the game, he has a duty to meet Forrest. What a knob!

Well he can't meet every billionaire philanthropist you know not when there are Millionaire entrepreneurs in Melbourne.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Twiggy and now Kerry Stokes on board, can anyone get into the ear of Peter Holmes à Court?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 19-08-17 at 15:52.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos2012 View Post

I know it's f**cking ridiculous. ARU are broke, there's a billionaire who is keen to provide some form of financial assistance and Clyne is refusing a meeting?? Cutting off his nose to spite his face.

vCash
    Just talking to the wife, whose in Melbourne this weekend and she says there is nothing whatsoever in the paper about Twiggy etc!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    They've got themselves into a big mess and don't know how to get out of it. If they acquiesce, admit they were wrong about the force it's going to cost them their jobs and reputation hence the reason they're being so bloody minded. They've got no choice. Although now I can't see them surviving either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Just talking to the wife, whose in Melbourne this weekend and she says there is nothing whatsoever in the paper about Twiggy etc!
    They're in denial.

Champion
    vCash
    We need 3000 people to the Rally please?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Maybe "we" should do something about that, Twitter, Letters to Editor etc?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Great speech by Twiggy at the rally this morning, fighting words! He still hasn't heard from Clyne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    Great speech by Twiggy at the rally this morning, fighting words! He still hasn't heard from Clyne
    Well Wayne Smith only quoted an ARU "spokesman" - whatever that means - and only said he was "inclined" to meet. Given the record of obfuscation, misleading statements and downright lies their front office has spewed forth so far, I would not expect much different. Thankfully there are still a good number of people with clout trying to hold them to account.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast