Thread: Perth junior Kyle Godwin says axing Western Force a 'kick in the face'

Apprentice
    vCash

Perth junior Kyle Godwin says axing Western Force a 'kick in the face'

Perth junior Kyle Godwin fears axing the Western Force will have a crippling impact on rugby union, describing the decision as "a kick in the face" for the state's pathway systems.

Injured Wallaby Godwin was with close mate and Force back-rower Angus Cottrell on Friday when the ARU exiled the Perth-based franchise from Super Rugby on Friday.

The news hit hard for Godwin, who started his career as a teenager in Perth before leaving the Force at the end of last year to link with the ACT Brumbies.

Force players have been left in the dark about their futures, with the ARU saying it will honour existing contracts but not detailing if it will increase squad sizes or salary caps.

Godwin, who made his Force debut as a 19-year-old in 2012, hoped the decision would not kill rugby in Western Australia.

"I was very sad and disappointed when I heard the news. The Force have a huge part of my heart, so to see this happen, it was just a sad day," Godwin said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So he's off to Connaught

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connach...-the-brumbies/

Out of interest, would he be welcomed back to the Force if he wanted to come back?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think so. He isn't the player he was after the knee recons, but still a good player and a local. Everybody looks shit in the backline when coached by the Brumbies (since Jake White).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The Kyle Godwin of 2013 and the first half of 2014 was an awesome player - quick, inventive and played without fear. He was quite rightly being mentioned for a Wallaby call-up. That player I'd definitely have back.

When he got injured (I think the first match in the SA Tour in Bloemfontein) and returned he was slower and more willing to pass rather than run. Joining the Brumbies and their Jakeball forward-dominated tactics didn't help him regain his confidence.

He wasn't helped that we appeared to have changed our tactics around the time he got injured - in the first half of 2014 we'd take an early lead and then tried to defend the lead (often successfully), but in the second half of 2014 we seemed to miss out the first part and try to defend our way to a victory.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Why didn't he return here?

vCash
    Connaught offered more money and/or a different challenge?

Maybe he saw coming back to Perth as a retrograde step in his career and/or was worried it might be seen as running home?

Maybe the Force didn't offer him a spot, possibly because of the quality of player they have signed/are about to sign?

We'll probably never know the exact reasons, so lets speculate endlessly on an internet forum!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Connaught offered more money and/or a different challenge?

Maybe he saw coming back to Perth as a retrograde step in his career and/or was worried it might be seen as running home?

Maybe the Force didn't offer him a spot, possibly because of the quality of player they have signed/are about to sign?

We'll probably never know the exact reasons, so lets speculate endlessly on an internet forum!
    Interesting to see ARU's vision working wonders - "only have talent for 4 teams, so we'll pool all players into the remaining 4" - especially after the Rebels captain of last year having to move overseas as he didn't have a spot anymore.
    FARU

Apprentice
    vCash
    If I remember correctly, Cameron Shepherd went to Northampton Saints but got knocked back after finding out about a pre-exsiting injury. Godwin may be better suited but pretty brutal rugby and brutal playing conditions. Will make or break him I guess. Cheika spent a few years over there, so got a good understanding of the place. Time will tell I guess. Good luck to him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forceable View Post
    If I remember correctly, Cameron Shepherd went to Northampton Saints but got knocked back after finding out about a pre-exsiting injury. Godwin may be better suited but pretty brutal rugby and brutal playing conditions. Will make or break him I guess. Cheika spent a few years over there, so got a good understanding of the place. Time will tell I guess. Good luck to him.
    Northampton run medicals. Joe van Niekerk failed his there and went to Toulon. Rest is history.

Pretty sure Connacht don't. As a Zimbabwean he will be under Kolpak which is important in European competition. Leinster haven't been able to field James Lowe in a lot of European games due to foreign player restrictions.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board