Thread: Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau looking overseas if Western Force axed

vCash

Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau looking overseas if Western Force axed

EXCLUSIVE Jamie Pandaram, The Daily Telegraph
    August 8, 2017 3:00pm
    Subscriber only

TATAFU Polota-Nau and Dane Haylett-Petty have made passionate last-ditch pleas for the ARU not to cut the Western Force from Super Rugby, with the hooker even suggesting he’ll head overseas if the side is axed.

Polota-Nau has become Australia’s No.1 hooker and with Stephen Moore retiring from internationals at the end of the season, the Wallabies can ill-afford to lose him in the lead-up to the 2019 World Cup.

But Polota-Nau has developed strong affinity with the West Australian rugby community and with a decision on the arbitration between the ARU and WA Rugby to be announced as early as Wednesday, he could not make any guarantees he’d remain in Australia if the Force are cut.

“I’ll have to weigh up the options,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

“It’s a tough one because of where I am head-wise. I see it in terms of equity; if I do well in Western Australia I do well for Australia — in terms of growing the game, and hopefully the playing will follow that.

“If it doesn’t, I’ll have to go back to the drawing board because I’ve put all my eggs in one basket.”

Despite the lure of the World Cup, his decision will be based around the Force’s future.

“I’ve got to wait, because I’m really passionate about staying in Western Australia,” he said.

“The reason why I moved was to get a change of scenery and camaraderie with different guys.

“I loved my time at the Waratahs too, but for some reason the sunset has definitely attracted me, I could see myself living there indefinitely.

“At the same time I feel like I’ve got unfinished business there in growing the game, around the communities there, as much as I wanted to do in Parramatta. It’s only when I went there that I realised how big it is.

“There’s so much love for the sport. It would be pretty sad [if the Force get cut] because they’d just have to run internal competitions, but you lose a big landscape for the development of the game. Growing the game is just as important as playing the game.”

Haylett-Petty said it would be “crazy” to axe the team that finished second in the Australian Super Rugby conference.

“We’ve got some great talent, there were a couple of games we should have won this year and we could’ve been playing finals,” the Wallabies winger said.

“We’re going to be so much better for it next year, we’ve got the biggest sponsor in Australian rugby and now obviously Twiggy [Andrew Forrest] offering to put in money with the Own The Force campaign.

“A lot of people have put in money, there were some people who were hesitant but the offer that Twiggy has made, the interest-free loans and you don’t pay him back you pay the Force back, so instead of $1000 per share, $2000 is going to grassroots.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...f718eafc00d914

Champion!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Power stuff from a genuine nice guy.

Best move we ever made getting him over.

Come rain or shine, win or lose after ever match he made his way over to the sea of blue and engaged with us.

Another reason for us to be proud that we have created something special in WA.

Thank you Tatafu for your words, warmth and adopting us like you have.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Nice of Tafs to say to the ARU, "you screw over WA and its grassroots and im off overseas".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Cheika will be on SMH tomoz saying Taf has a contract with the ARU, he will go where he is damn well told to go

And yup, Taf has been immense for WA, he has totally won me over. Champion player, even better bloke.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Hopefully the guys have got "put options" in their contracts so they can tell the likes of Cheika to bugger off, much like Cox has done to the ARU! What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What gets me more about Taf is that he was known in Sydney as being a proud supporter of grassroots rugby, especially in Western Sydney, and when he came here (eased out to make room for Latu?) he immediately became engaged in our grassroots rugby and considered it compared favourably to Sydney; even making a point of telling the ARU that they should look at the Force's interactions with local rugby as a blueprint for other franchises.

Whenever I've met him he's been open, engaging and happy to spend time with the fans and especially the kids. For all the talk of Super Rugby or the Wallabies being disconnected from grassroots rugby, Taf is the poster boy of how you can immediately connect to your fans.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I was also a bit worried with him coming to WA but I can now say I was wrong.. I admit it will say it publicly.. But he is a a true warrior.. From reading all his posts and listening to other on how he interacts with club rugby I am Won over.. I hope I can see him play till he retires..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    What gets me more about Taf is that he was known in Sydney as being a proud supporter of grassroots rugby, especially in Western Sydney, and when he came here (eased out to make room for Latu?) he immediately became engaged in our grassroots rugby and considered it compared favourably to Sydney; even making a point of telling the ARU that they should look at the Force's interactions with local rugby as a blueprint for other franchises.
    I had read that TPN was heading overseas but failed a medical assessment by which stage the Tahs had filled their squad, at least in terms of his position.

Regardless of how he came to the Force, TPN has been an asset to RugbyWA in particular his fondness of grass roots Rugby. His involvement in grass roots in Sydney was very well known before he came over so it's great to see him continue that work.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Who cares how he came over. The mark of the man is how he played and the integrity and passion he has demonstrated since donning the darker shade of blue. The fact he wants to stay with all of those other guys shows the passion and culture that the club and players have managed to develop.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Thanks Taf, we love having you here and your desire to see grassroots rugby continue to grow in WA speaks highly of your personal character. -bloody well done!