Thread: Andrew Forrest's support is like having Donald Trump beside you, says Curtis Rona

vCash

Andrew Forrest's support is like having Donald Trump beside you, says Curtis Rona

Western Force midfielder Curtis Rona is uncertain about his Super Rugby future but one thing's for sure – he feels better for the Perth-based franchise having the backing of West Australian billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest, which he likens to having US President Donald Trump in your corner.

Rona is one of six Force players in Cessnock who are anxiously waiting to find out whether their Super Rugby franchise will survive next season, with a decision imminent on whether the Australian Rugby Union has the legal right to cut the West Australian franchise from the competition in 2018.

"He's behind us 100 per cent and to have someone like that is pretty much like having Donald Trump in your corner," Rona said of mining magnate Forrest, who threw his weight behind the Force after their final match of the season, against the Waratahs. "He's a powerhouse person and he's reassured us he will do everything in his power to keep the Force alive."

Should the Force be cut, it has been assumed that Rona would switch straight back to the NRL but he revealed on Tuesday that he is having second thoughts about any return to rugby league, not least because of the carrot that Michael Cheika has dangled before him of a Wallabies debut.

"That's a big influence," said Rona of being named in a 34-man Wallabies squad. "I didn't expect to be in the squad so soon. I was pretty surprised when I got the call and that does change a lot of things and the situations of going back to rugby league or staying with the Force or going onto another franchise.

"It [the Force's future] has to be addressed sooner or later and hopefully it's done within the next few days. I'm signed to the Force next year and that's where I want to be. If the team goes, I have to reassess and think about the best opportunity for me and my family."

There is no definitive timeline on when the verdict from arbitration – between the ARU and Rugby WA – will be handed down, but there is a feeling that an announcement could be made later in the week.

If the decision does not go the way of Rugby WA, it has the right of appeal in the Supreme Court, which would no doubt drag on the uncertainty for some time.

The ARU owns the Western Force's licence but the franchise has an agreement with Rugby WA, hence why it has been directly involved in arbitration, not the Force.

Complicating matters for the ARU is that it does not have any constitutional right to remove the Melbourne Rebels from Super Rugby now that the Victorian Rugby Union has acquired the licence from private owner Andrew Cox.

On Tuesday, Rugby WA published an open letter to the ARU board, calling on its members to "make the right call for Australian rugby" so the code can "get on with the game".

Force chairman Tony Howarth and WA Premier Mark McGowan, as well as Forrest, whose net worth is estimated at $4 billion, signed the letter.

Rona, like other Force players, is trying to put all off-field issues to one side while in the Wallabies camp.

"We know that it could be our last week this week but everyone is bound together and trying to stay strong and positive about whatever the outcome is," he said. "If we find out within the next few days that we're in, that's great. But if we're not, they're going to try again and we'll see where that takes us. Fingers crossed we get the nod.

"We do discuss it with some of the boys here because if we're on tour and you find out your team has gone, how does that work with you going back to move your stuff and going back to another team? We're focusing on the Bledisloe coming up. Our job is to beat the All Blacks."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...08-gxrkv7.html

Not the smartest comment..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee - I wish he'd used someone elses name. (well ANYONE elses name!)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hey I suppose the context that he means is the power level, not all of the negative things that are magnified ten folds by the relentless media that have an agenda against him which most people fall for....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Make Rugby Great Again!

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Hey I suppose the context that he means is the power level, not all of the negative things that are magnified ten folds by the relentless media that have an agenda against him which most people fall for....
    aahh!!! A trump supporter! kill the furion, kill the riddick!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Drain the ARU swamp!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    #TwiggiesPiggies

#whereisPulvers33000emails

#drainthearuswamp

#arufakenews

#makerugbygreatagain

#we'llbewinningsomuchwewillgetsickofwinning

#arualternativefacts

#crookedBillaryPulver

#aruyou'refired!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Tear down the rabbit proof fence. Build a great big wall and make the ARU pay for it!!

Name:  Wall.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  105.0 KB
    Then after they've completely f@cked it up - rebuild the rabbit proof fence and pay for it yourself.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    #arbitravfefe