Thread: The gamble that paid off big for Wallabies squad member Billy Meakes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

The gamble that paid off big for Wallabies squad member Billy Meakes

Christy Doran
    August 3, 2017 3:56pm,

FOUR years ago Wallabies squad member Billy Meakes packed his bags and grabbed his UK passport to pursue his lifelong dream.

Not wanted by any Super Rugby clubs and without a national provincial competition to stake his claim, the St Joseph’s College product decided to dedicate a year to becoming the best rugby player he could be.

It was now or never in Meakes’ early 20s as the clock ticked on his career.

With only a loose offer to train with Championship side Bristol and play with their affiliated side Clifton, Meakes jumped at the opportunity.

But as he soon found out, his move to England’s southwest wasn’t smooth sailing.

“Right at the beginning when I first got there I don’t think it was quite what I expected,” Meakes told foxsports.com.au.

“I wasn’t actually really training with Bristol.

“They had a pretty big squad of about 60 players, so I was sort of just shadowing blokes and it’s not really what I expected.

“I had a really rough couple of months at the start where I thought I might head home, but I spoke with my parents and my mates and they encouraged me to stick it out and at least do everything I can for the year.”

But it wasn’t long until the cards started to turn in the midfielder’s favour.

“Off the back of playing a match or two for Clifton there were a few injuries at Gloucester — which is an hour up the road — and they sort of got wind that I was floating around,” Meakes said.

“So I went into train with them and funnily enough there was another injury while I was there and I ended up playing an LV Cup game, which is like a second-tier game for Gloucester off the bench.

“It went pretty well and off the back of that I got a rookie contract the following year.”

Looking back, he says that was the moment that turned him into the player he is today.

“I remember my first day walking into Gloucester and I still didn’t really know what English rugby was about or what level Gloucester was in because there’s so many tiers of rugby,” Meakes said.

“When I walked in it’s a fully professional setup from start to finish, you’re there all day, all your meals are cooked for you, ex-internationals littered right throughout the squad and that’s when it hit me that this was a really good opportunity to do exactly what I set out to do.

“Getting that opportunity to train with them was the big eye-opener and turning point.”

Soon enough he was joined at the club by Australian coach Laurie Fisher, who had left his role at the Brumbies.

Fisher, known as one of the best forwards coaches in Australia, quickly identified Meakes’ strength and ability at the breakdown.

“He was just so influential on my game because he singled out a point of difference that could separate me from other midfielders,” Meakes said.

“I think he soon realised that I quite enjoy the breakdown stuff, so he spent loads of time with me around specifics around that part of the game while also concentrating on the centre’s specific roles.

“It just became a part of my game that I really enjoyed and loved getting better at, so he’d often take me off with the back-rowers and we’d do a session together.

“He was fantastic and he’s such a scholar and rugby nut that you just feed off his energy when he’s talking about rugby, so the year I spent with him was just unbelievable.”

While his career blossomed in the UK, Meakes’ heart remained in Australia and when the Western Force came knocking the straight-running centre didn’t hesitate to sign on.

Meakes arrived in Perth in time for the NRC and by the time the Super Rugby season arrived, the 26-year-old had commanded a starting spot in the No 12 jersey.

Meakes often beat the first defender in attack and importantly provided clear communication for his teammates.

In a tumultuous, yet encouraging season for the Force, his leadership also stood out and Meakes captained the side at times throughout the year.

It’s those attributes that caught national coach Michael Cheika’s eye and saw Meakes called up to his first Wallabies squad.

Whether he makes Cheika’s Rugby Championship squad on Friday, it’s been quite a rise for Meakes, who only a few years ago wasn’t deemed good enough for Super Rugby.

Karmichael Hunt’s injury might have opened the door for Meakes to squeeze his way into the squad, but he’s old enough to know that competition for places is fierce.

“It’s devastating for K (Hunt),” Meakes said.

“I was actually really looking forward to playing alongside him and learning a lot off him because I think he did a fantastic job for the squad in June and was definitely the frontrunner for the 12 jersey for this series.

“It’s devastating for him and the squad, but for the rest of us centres there’s still a lot of competition.

“Kurtley (Beale) coming back, Hodgy (Reece Hodge) can obviously play there, Samu Kerevi’s looking really fit, so there’s a number of players who are putting their hands up.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/p...a8aaabef871237

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    So he has a UK passport as well as an Aussie one? Thank goodness for us he got homesick for Oz!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So he has a UK passport as well as an Aussie one? Thank goodness for us he got homesick for Oz!
    Well at least we know he will not be going straight into politics.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Well at least we know he will not be going straight into politics.
    Hahaha!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby