Thread: Facts and information on the new format for 2017/18 Pro14 Rugby tournament

Champion
    vCash

Facts and information on the new format for 2017/18 Pro14 Rugby tournament

Well done SARU Exciting times for the two sides.
    Now if only the ARU could do something as positive...oh why do I bother

Its finally confirmed that the Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings will play *in PRO14 tournament, we have the facts fans need to know.
    finally confirmed that the Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings will play *in PRO14 tournament, we have the facts fans need to know.
    The expanded Championship will take place across the northern and southern hemispheres and marks the first phase of expansion as the Guinness PRO14 becomes a truly global tournament.
    This move will contribute to the drive for ever higher standards that we demand across the tournament and provide greater resources to our clubs who will compete in the most testing environment the Championship has ever created.
    We can also reassure supporters across the Championship that all current home and away Derby games have been protected – these fixtures are sacrosanct to the tournament and those tribal rivalries are just one element of what makes the Guinness PRO14 so special.
    With a new format, new teams and new audiences the Guinness PRO14 – which leads World Rugby statistics for Positive Play – will hit even greater heights in 2017/18.
    NEW FORMAT
    The addition of the Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings will require the Championship to introduce a new Conference format as a league format is not suited to a 14-team cross-border tournament.
    The Guinness PRO14 will adopt a two-conference model which will allows for the new clubs to be added into the Championship without need to add extra rounds in 2017/18.
    Conference A
    Munster (IRFU)
    Ospreys (WRU)
    Glasgow Warriors (SRU)
    Cardiff Blues (WRU)
    Connacht (IRFU)
    Zebre Rugby Club (FIR)
    Toyota Cheetahs (SA Rugby)

Conference B
    Scarlets (WRU)
    Leinster (IRFU)
    Ulster (IRFU)
    Edinburgh (SRU)
    Benetton Rugby (FIR)
    Dragons (WRU)
    Southern Kings (SA Rugby)

More here
    http://sportsnewsireland.com/rugby/r...by-tournament/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    21 games, and conferences of 7.

You play everyone in your conference home and away (12 games), and everyone in the other conference once (7 games). The other 2 games come from additional derbies; the Welsh/Irish teams play the other Welsh/Irish teams in the other conference twice, but the Scottish/Italian/South African teams play their local derbies 3 times.

So if you are Munster (Conf A) you play: (Conf A): Ospreys, Glasgow, Cardiff, Connaught, Zebre & Cheetahs home and away and (Conf B): Leinster & Ulster home and away, and Scarlets, Edinburgh, Benetton, Newport & Kings once.

If you are Edinburgh (Conf B) you play: (Conf B): Scarlets, Leinster, Ulster, Benetton, Newport & Kings home and away and (Conf A): Glasgow 3 times and Munster, Ospreys, Cardiff, Connaught, Zebre & Cheetahs once.

But is does look like the Cheetahs and Kings won't be eligible for the European Cups.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Well that was painless.

vCash
    I bet the other South African sides and SARU will watch this with a lot of interest and if it works out this will be the first stage of the death of Super Rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I bet the other South African sides and SARU will watch this with a lot of interest and if it works out this will be the first stage of the death of Super Rugby.
    What I think is interesting is this is ZA rugby's first rugby export into Europe and they're sending their two worst teams. Based on SR form that is.

It's not going to be pretty. They're going to get smashed.

I'd have almost thought some of the other teams would have been jumping at the chance to get up there. To get first go at the new exposure, sponsors and fan bases. We'll have to see. But I think this might be an embarrassing experiment.

vCash
    Jono, I am fairly sure that you'll eat your words on that statement that it will be an embarrassing experiment. These 2 teams finished 11 and 13 out of the 18 Super rugby sides! BTW the Bulls has been their worst side this year.
    I would be extremely surprised if they get smashed. I think if anything they will smash a few of these teams specially for their home games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    What I think is interesting is this is ZA rugby's first rugby export into Europe and they're sending their two worst teams. Based on SR form that is.

It's not going to be pretty. They're going to get smashed.

I'd have almost thought some of the other teams would have been jumping at the chance to get up there. To get first go at the new exposure, sponsors and fan bases. We'll have to see. But I think this might be an embarrassing experiment.
    I don't think the Cheetahs and Kings will be last - their standard of rugby is vastly superior to the Italian teams (and Newport, who are almost as bad!). They may struggle with the longer season, travel and heavier pitches in the NH winter, but their home advantage will, I think, see them mid-table.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Titles aren't won on TWF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Jono, I am fairly sure that you'll eat your words on that statement that it will be an embarrassing experiment. These 2 teams finished 11 and 13 out of the 18 Super rugby sides! BTW the Bulls has been their worst side this year.
    I would be extremely surprised if they get smashed. I think if anything they will smash a few of these teams specially for their home games.
    Hopefully I do. I'd love to see them jump into a new competition and make it to finals first year out.

*edit*

The reason I want to want them to do well is, if they do, all the South African teams might leave and then super rugby/whatever it becomes will finally be free of them holding everyone else to ransom year after year.

Last edited by jono; 02-08-17 at 11:36.

vCash
    I was going to say the Currie Cup would get a boost as it would be the only chance to see all 6 teams in the same comp but the Kings actually got relegated at the end of last season!