Thread: The symbol that means the world to Wallaroos

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

The symbol that means the world to Wallaroos

Today at 3:30 PM
    by Beth Newman

It’s a symbol many Australians might take for granted, but the addition of an emu and a kangaroo means more than just a national icon for the Wallaroos.

The Wallaroos will wear the Australian coat of arms on their jerseys at the World Cup for the first time, after receiving federal government approval for the tournament.

While it might go unnoticed by many casual observers, adding the coat of arms to a uniform is no easy process and puts the Wallaroos in the same category as their Sevens and male counterparts.

Teams have to request approval for the use of the coat of arms through the Australian government and can only be given for one competition at a time.

Wallaroos captain Shannon Parry pushed for the change ahead of the 2014 World Cup but it was not able to be rubber stamped that time around.

The addition of the coat of arms will give financial support to players who are employed by the government as well, aid that they would not have been able to receive without it.

Flanker Mollie Gray and long-time Wallaroo Ash Hewson are among a handful of those who will have that extra support.

Though they don’t have to reach into their pocket to play in the World Cup, after more than $200,000 was raised for their campaign, many of the national players will be going without pay for the tournament.

Buildcorp principal Josephine Sukkar has also donated $1000 to each of the players.

Coach Paul Verrell said gestures like the coat of arms meant plenty to his squad, many of whom are still fresh to the national setup.

“They’re here to wear the Australian jersey, the Wallaroos jersey, it’s first time they’ll wear the coat of arms on that jersey in a World Cup,” he said.

“They’ll bring passion, they’re very, very proud to be there. They’re proud that they understand the Wallaroos history and what it’s taken to get them in that position.”

Parry is in a privileged position among the squad, one of three full-time Sevens players heading to Ireland, but said the sacrifice of some of their teammates showed the desire of the side.

“Not many would do that in the economy we’re in,” she said.

“These girls, this jersey means a lot. To be able to give up money to represent their country, they might only ever get one jersey.

“They're definitely full steam ahead and definitely want to make this country proud.”

The Wallaroos will face host nation Ireland in their opening World Cup clash, and Parry said the pressure would be all on their opponents.

“For us, all the pressure’s on them, we’ve got to get out there early, control the crowd and anything could happen,” she said.

“We’ve got a good team, good experience, we’ve got a great coaching panel that’s there to help us and guide us in the right direction.

“For us as players it’s about nailing those individual roles and nailing that opposite against you.”

The Wallaroos open their World Cup campaign against Ireland on August 10, kicking off 4am AEST LIVE on FOX SPORTS.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/08...s-coat-of-arms

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    It's funny that it's taken so long, I would have thought they would have had that on there already. What do they wear in tests?

As an aside, I wonder whether Super League had to go through something similar, or it was easier, when they had their test team? Seeing as there already was a national rugby league in the ARL's Kangaroos, did they have to pitch themselves as the national Super League team instead, I wonder?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    Ex-Wallaroos captain says rugby needs more competitions for young girls or rivals will poach the talent
    AUGUST 2, 201710:07AM

IAIN PAYTEN
    The Daily Telegraph

AUSTRALIAN rugby needs to create more women’s competitions — at junior and senior levels — or risk losing a Rio-inspired generation to rival codes.
    That’s the view of former Wallaroos captain Nickie Wickert, who presented the Australian squad with their jerseys in Sydney on Tuesday prior to their departure to the World Cup in Ireland.
    Captained by Olympic sevens champion Shannon Parry, the Wallaroos are embracing an “underdog” tag for the tournament, which starts when they play hosts Ireland next Tuesday.
    The squad, who were farewelled at a harbourside function by dignitaries and media, say they have had their best ever World Cup preparation.
    But Wickert — who led the Wallaroos at the first World Cup in 1998 — said the fact a majority of the current Aussie team are taking unpaid leave to play showed further progress can still be made.
    “With regards to how far it has come since my time, this is fabulous but when I look at women’s cricket and women’s soccer, I don’t we have come as far as we should have,” Wickert said.
    The Wallaroos at their farewell in Sydney on Tuesday ahead of their World Cup in Ireland.
    The Wallaroos at their farewell in Sydney on Tuesday ahead of their World Cup in Ireland.Source:AAP
    “Girls had to take time off their work then, and it’s the same now. They need to address that.”
    The past few years has seen the popularity of women’s sport explode, with cricket, women’s AFL and rugby league taking big strides.
    Rugby has enjoyed its own boom; arguably the biggest, even. Women’s sevens numbers have grown 33 per cent since Australia won an Olympic gold medal in Rio almost a year ago, and off a much smaller base, women’s 15s rugby has also grown by 24 per cent.
    But with the increased interest — much of it among young girls — Wickert said rugby had to respond to significantly bolster the number of opportunities it provides for them to play; particularly in the 15s game.
    “The ARU have been awesome to women’s rugby in the past but — and this is even with the men’s game — they have to start doing more at the grassroots,” Wickert said.
    “Being a schoolteacher, I have AFL wanting to come out and do development, even rugby league and soccer. They all seem to be organised in hitting the juniors whereas I think that’s where rugby could pick up. Something has to happen in that space. My schoolgirls are always asking where can we go and play. They’re so interested after the sevens.
    “The girls want to play. But they’re getting taken by AFL and soccer.”
    Nickie Wickert pictured in 1999.
    Nickie Wickert pictured in 1999.Source:News Limited
    The ARU is pushing sevens hard to kids through non-contact Viva7s and primary school tryout programs, and girls can play any type of club rugby with boys until the age of 12.
    An increasing numbers of schools and a handful of new clubs now have sevens teams up and running for teenage girls.
    But outside of a few clubs like Narrabeen Tigers, there is nowhere for teenage girls to play 15s until they can play seniors.
    Wickert said rugby’s selling point is as a game for all shapes and sizes, and not every girl will suit sevens.
    “You have to have competitions for all these girls to play in,” she said. “And a real push to recruit players ... or they are going to lose all the good athletes to other sports.”
    The ARU lost Buildcorp as a sponsor earlier this year over the lack of action in creating a womens NRC competition. Wickert believes a senior women’s competition and more investment would undoubtedly see the Wallaroos reach the same heights as the Aussie womens sevens team.
    “We have the athletes, we just need to train them properly,” Wickert said.
    Parry said sacrifices made by the Wallaroos showed their “strong passion” for representing Australia.
    “They have to take leave without pay and not many people would do that in the economy we are in. So for these girls, this jersey means a lot and for them to do that, to give up money to be able to represent their country, they might only get one jersey,” she said.
    “They want to represent this sporting nation and do their country proud.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/exwalla...48eb039114452d

Hmm, where have i seen the ARUs strategy of establishing a team then doing little to nothing to support the infrastructure needed to perpetuate it before?
    On another note, how bloody pathetic is it that the Womens RWC has been going since 1998 or longer, you know 20 friggin years, yet these women have to take unpaid leave from a day job to represent their country, have no national competition to play in and need the head of BuildCorp Julie Sukkar giving each woman a $1000 gift to meet costs just to get to the tournament.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    It is a disgrace that the ARU treats these woman in this fashion. I also gritted my teeth when on kick chase they brought up the national university sevens comp that is not represented in WA.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    It is a disgrace that the ARU treats these woman in this fashion. I also gritted my teeth when on kick chase they brought up the national university sevens comp that is not represented in WA.
    Nor is Victoria. The universities are 3 in Qld (UoQ, Bond, Griffith), 2 in NSW (Macquarie, New England), Canberra, Adelaide & Tasmania.

I mean, props for the two non-Super Rugby area teams, but would it not make more sense to have a team from each state (and Canberra) and allow amalgamated university sides?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Don't get me wrong, good on her, but it's a shame someone like Shanice Parker doesn't have a local team to represent in the competition.

Name:  823304778.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  30.1 KB