Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moore to retire from Test rugby at end of 2017

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Moore to retire from Test rugby at end of 2017

Beth Newman

Stephen Moore has skippered his last Wallabies Test and has declared this will be his final Test season, with the hooker stepping away from international rugby.

Moore has opted to give up the captaincy immediately and will step down from Test rugby after this year's Spring Tour and will play just one more season of Super Rugby, with Queensland, despite having two years to run on his deal.

Moore, 34, is the second-most capped Wallabies player of all time and captained the team to a World Cup final in 2015.

Currently in the first of that three-year deal with the Reds and the ARU, the Wallabies skipper had set the target of playing in the 2019 tournament, likely becoming the most-capped Wallaby along the way.

Moore's position as captain had already come under intense speculation this season, with the Queenslander playing two Tests off the bench after being overtaken by Force hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau as the form no. 2 in the competition.

His retirement call, though, has shocked plenty, considering he still held a contract with both the QRU and ARU for 2019 and Wallabies coach Michael Cheika had only declared two months ago that Moore was his definitive Test captain.

Michael Hooper seems the obvious option to take up the captaincy, having led the Wallabies in June.

“As of the next Test I will be handing over the captaincy, and will spend the next four months supporting the new leadership team in any way possible," Moore said.

“We have a great bunch of developing leaders like Michael (Hooper), Adam (Coleman), Bernard (Foley), Samu (Kerevi), Allan (Alaalatoa).

"Succession is a really important part of the leadership of any team and we've been working to that end for a number of years and having those discussions for some time.

“I look around the group now and I see plenty of faces that weren’t even in high school when I made my Wallabies debut, and that is exciting for Australian rugby."

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika said Moore would still play a significant role in the team.

“Stephen still has a big role to play within the team. This isn't a farewell right now - he's fully committed to getting the gold jersey back to the top this year.

“His contribution to this current team cannot be understated. What he’s achieved on the field is no mean feat but it’s his work off the field in his role as captain of Australia that has really impressed me.

“We now have to make sure we send him off in the best way possible this year,” Cheika said.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/07...ts-end-of-2017

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Another great contracting decision by the ARU.
    Moore should never have been given a contract for 3years at the age of 33.
    No wonder rugby is so toxic under these ARU top ups and so many better younger players are leaving to play overseas.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    About 3 years too late.. Useles prick.

Worst captain of any rugby team ever.

Ugly as a hat full of assholes as well.

Thanks
    AH

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    I feel the need to make a little correction here

Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Michael Hooper seems the obvious option to take up the captaincy, having "led" the Wallabies in
    what is universally considered to be a disastrous test series in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Hardcore View Post
    About 3 years too late.. Useles prick.

Worst captain of any rugby team ever.
    I humbly submit Michael Hooper, the incumbent and most likely replacement as evidence to contradict that statement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Hooper - Captain - groooaaaannn.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    No wonder rugby is so toxic under these ARU top ups and so many better younger players are leaving to play overseas.
    Surely the next administration will can this farce. Set up to give the "heartlands" a leg-up, it has failed miserably. All it has done is give too many soft players a comfort zone.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    finally

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Test referees around the world will be celebrating!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Player
    vCash
    Not really now they have to put up with Hooper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Not really now they have to put up with Hooper
    They all know they can safely ignore Hooper and he'll sulk in the corner.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    His thoughts on radio this morning

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/N6WGOX.mp3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    They all know they can safely ignore Hooper and he'll sulk in the corner.
    I hope we get Owens on the spring tour and hooper tries that crap on him.
    Owens' reaction to him being a petulant sook will be hilarious

Last edited by jono; 28-07-17 at 14:39.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Does Hooper have the right stuff to lead Wallabies?

The Australian July 29, 2017
    MARK ELLA

Stephen Moore’s decision to retire from international rugby is not that surprising given the 34-year-old is struggling to hold a place in the Wallabies starting XV.

Returning to where it all started — Brisbane — this year hasn’t really helped Moore secure his No 2 jersey, with the Reds under-achieving. He looks to have the weight of the world on his shoulders right now.

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika seems to have given him a gentle nudge looking ahead to the RWC in Japan only two years away. Cheika must have had doubts about Moore’s ability to lead from the front.

It obviously clears the path for Waratahs flanker Michael Hooper to assume the captaincy, with Cheika’s backing, and that in itself will ignite debate among Australia’s rugby fraternity.

Some have described Hooper as a once-in-a-generation player but he also has many critics who claim he’s unworthy of Test selection, especially if David Pocock returns in good shape after his year’s sabbatical.

I must say I’m not a big fan of Hooper’s captaincy. His influence and general impact went missing for the Waratahs this season, who were a sham and should be embarrassed by the way they played given their playing list and resources.

Hooper is still young and exuberant and does the work of two players but he has to decide whether he wants to play in the forwards or in the backs.

Normally a coach would give players such as David Campese or Israel Folau a roving commission to play and position themselves wherever they feel they can make an impact — but they are three-quarters, not openside flankers.

Hooper plays way too loosely for a forward and, instead of being the first man to the breakdown which is what we all would expect, he is already positioning himself to be a part of the counter-attack, which is confusing.

I have no doubt that Cheika played a significant role in moulding a young Hooper when he coached the Waratahs in 2014 but the time has come for another transformation.

By nature Hooper is an inspirational player because of his work rate and impressive ball skills but he doesn’t appear to be a strategic thinker which is crucial for a national rugby captain.

Moore

I believe much of this comes from coaches controlling their players rather than allowing them to think instinctively in the heat of the battle.

Moore will undoubtedly add to his 120 Test caps throughout the Rugby Championship and spring tour but I think that will be off the bench where he will be invaluable with his big-game experience and calmness.

He is currently the second most capped Wallaby, behind George Gregan (139), which is a tribute to his perseverance and love of the game.

Moore made his Test debut against Samoa way back in June 2005 and there is no doubt he is a great team man and much admired throughout the rugby world.

He is the Wallabies’ most accurate lineout thrower, a good scrummager and inspirational leader but had a problem dealing with international referees, unlike the great All Black Richie McCaw, who was a master of diplomacy.

Moore has stepped down as Wallabies captain in time to help foster the likes of Hooper, who will get the privilege of leading his country, and to give the next generation of young hookers time to fight their way into the Wallabies starting XV.

The biggest tragedy in all this is Sean McMahon, who at the ripe old age of 23 has effectively turned his back on Australian rugby by signing a two-year deal to play in Japan. As it stands he will be unavailable for selection in Australia’s 2019 RWC squad.

He was a victim of circumstance, being next in line behind Pocock and Hooper.

With Pocock returning next year from his highly-paid sabbatical, and Hooper seemingly assured of the No 7 jersey, there doesn’t appear to be much room for McMahon. It’s a huge loss for Australian rugby.

But with Cheika selecting backrowers with more size and strength, McMahon had little option but to look elsewhere.

Rugby in Australia is at an all- time low ebb and we desperately need the Wallabies to be successful in this year’s Rugby Championship but we also need strong leadership from the coach and captain to turn any negatives into positives.

Whether the combination of Cheika and Hooper will be able to change the mood of Australian rugby remains up for debate.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...774a4505022adc

Last edited by Ham105; 29-07-17 at 13:54.

vCash
    forgot to add "is also a sook of the highest order who has not shown any development in his abilities to lead a referee, or in fact even get them on side and sympathetic to his plight during the game"

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The article is paywalled, so I can't comment other than what's pasted here.

It's a waste of 11 paragraphs when all that's really required is "Hell no!"

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast