Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ARU chairman Cameron Clyne hints he will stand down

Senior Player
    vCash

ARU chairman Cameron Clyne hints he will stand down

Yesssss!

ARU chairman Cameron Clyne hints he will stand down if Super Rugby cull fails

JULY 22 2017 - 7:00PM
    Tom Decent

Australian Rugby Union chairman Cameron Clyne has indicated he will stand down from his position if the game's governing body cannot legally cut a Super Rugby team for next season.

Clyne was also unable to confirm whether the Melbourne Rebels' licence had been sold to the Victorian Rugby Union, an outcome that would make the ARU's task of chopping a team even more difficult.

Speaking at a Sydney University Football Club lunch, Clyne was asked for an update on how the ARU were going with the increasingly difficult task of removing either the Melbourne Rebels or Western Force from Super Rugby next season.

Clyne restated his position that Australian rugby was better off with four teams but hinted he would not be there for much longer if the impending legal process did not go the ARU's way.

"We've made the tough decision and it is going to be difficult but the good thing is when we get through the process," he said. "If we end up with five teams, it'll be someone else's problem because I won't be around. If we get to four teams, of course, I think we'll have a really strong Super Rugby next year."

Fairfax Media approached Clyne afterwards to clarify what he had said.

"I just don't believe Australian rugby can support five teams," Clyne said. "At that point in time [if the ARU could not cut a team], I'd address it [my position] then."

Asked whether he could confirm speculation out of Melbourne that owner Andrew Cox had handed over his licence to the VRU, Clyne said he was "not aware that it's happened".

"I don't think it's happened because I don't know about it," he said.

Fairfax Media understands Cox has not addressed Rebels players yet, but some at the club are under the impression he has sold the licence.

Pressed on whether the Rebels' chances of survival would increase if the VRU acquired the licence, Clyne said: "It's hypothetical, so I don't know."

The ARU has said it will take no action before arbitration begins on July 31 between themselves and the Force to find out whether they have legal grounds to remove the West Australian franchise from the 2018 competition.

It has now been more than 100 days since Clyne famously said the ARU would make their minds up "within 48 to 72 hours", but the incumbent chairman has explained why that statement was made.

"We said we'd only cut a team if we could have the same broadcast revenue," Clyne said. "Up until that the teams had said, 'if you make the decision to cut a team, can you make the decisions very quickly?'

"We said, 'absolutely, we can do it within 48 to 72 hours'. Then we got the go-ahead we would get the same broadcast revenue. We said we'd do it quickly.

"Then the teams changed their mind and said, 'We'd like to take you to court'. I can understand that, but we're operating under the assumption that we can make a quick decision.

"It's out of our hands once it goes to the lawyers. We're happy to make a decision, but when you're bound up in a legal process, it's very difficult.

"I don't think they [clubs] actually believed we'd cut a team."

The ARU has copped its fair share of criticism this year, to the point that Clyne joked if he had to pick anyone to go out to lunch with, it would be his family because "they're the only people who are being nice to me".

Clyne spoke optimistically about the future of rugby, but made it clear "emotion doesn't pay the bills".

"The elephant in the room is performance," Clyne said. "The reality is rugby is professional. There's a straight-line correlation between on-field performance and when teams aren't performing, you're not getting money. Simple as that.

"We don't want to be in this situation and I fully understand why the teams who are under threat are fighting like buggery to stay in the competition, but the reality is that we simply do not have the ability to fund five teams or get the on-field performance necessary.

"South Africa has recognised that and cut two teams. As harsh as it is, it's the right thing."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...21-gxg654.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    He sounds like my 4 year old when she doesn't get her own way!! Resign now we really don't care! Does he even like rugby!?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I won't repeat my rant of last night, I'll just say that's another reason why we'll be #strongerasfive

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I won't repeat my rant of last night, I'll just say that's another reason why we'll be #strongerasfive
    Quality rant. And I only saw it this morning but my take-home message from the story is this:

It'll be someone else's problem because I won't be around.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Sounds like the ARU are still banking on the amended broadcast deal being grounds to circumvent the Alliance Agreement. From what i understand from reading the media coverage surrounding this, that argument is almost certain to be shot down in court. There are clauses in the Alliance Agreement that stipulate that the ARU must notify RugbyWA of a change of broadcast agreement and that a team representing RugbyWA must be included in any amended or renegotiated broadcast agreement. These are clauses that the ARU agreed to.
    The statement by Clyne that the clubs agreed to a team being culled then changed their minds just shows what a delusional man this is. The franchises were never consulted prior to the ARU meekly surrendering their power of veto at SANZAAR level. The franchises were never asked to be a part of an independent assessment process involving all franchises. No criteria on what the franchises will be assessed was ever released. They just expected the Force to fold without a fight. Well, as we showed the ARU in 2005, we will fight dam hard for our franchise. We are proud of our franchise and we are not going anywhere. Despite everything thrown at us by the ARU, we are still here and we will still be here next year. We have dealt with the ARU refusing to provide additional support at start up. We have dealt with being conned by Firepower. We have dealt with being the only franchise in Australia copping a fine from the ARU for having a coffee with Al Kanar. We have dealt with the ARU setting up an unsustainable 5th franchise that stripped us of a bunch of up and coming players and coaches who chased the extra $5 on offer. We have dealt with other franchises receiving $2 million a year in extra salary moneys above the cap. We have dealt with the ARU providing $28 million in extra assistance to the other franchises. We have dealt with receiving only $200 000 a season for community development from the ARU compared to the millions the other states have. We have dealt with the ridiculous Nucifora academy system that forced every academy player to move to NSW. We have even gone as far as to hire the guy who set up Saracens academy, fundraised ourselves and established our own Australia wide renowned academy. We have dealt with the dark clouds brought over Super Rugbys future by increasing our crowds and performances to be arguably Australias best performed franchise this year.
    Compare this to the ARUs achievements over the same period. 0 Bledisloe Cups. 0 World Cups. 0 Under 20s World Cups. 0 high performance academies. 0 FTA tv deals. Declining sponsorship dollars. Declining participation rates. AFL and NRL moving in and taking over the traditional rugby heartland schools. Everything west of the Harbour bridge in NSW being neglected. A broken coaching pathway thar needs a celebrity tv analyst to "fix". Womens rugby is in crisis as we play catchup with more organized National Unions who pump millions into development. $777 million spent but rugby is in crisis. Record tv revenue, an increase of $30 million per annum, yet we are going broke. A womens 7s team that was poached from other sports but is now floundering due to the complete lack of underlying structure to support them. 13 500 to see the Wallabies play Fiji in Melbourne, a record low attendance for a Wallabies match. Record numbers of Australian players signing overseas. A dearth of coaches coming through. ARU staffers resigning in disgrace after text message scandals. An ARU COO resigning in disgrace after his white ant campaign against the Force was exposed. The worst Australian Super Rugby season on record in terms of results, crowd figures and sponsorship dollars.

So Clyne, take a look in the Mirror mate. You are the problem. You lead a completely ineffectual administration whose only solution is to shut up shop and hide. At no point in Australian Rugbys professional history have the ARU set up any structure to properly support Super Rugby and the Wallabies. At no point in the ARUs history have they innovated to increase income. At no point in the ARUs history have they sought to bring collaboration to our nations approach to development. At no point in the ARUs history has a coaching pathway been fostered. At no point in the ARUs history have they restructured their administration to improve performance. At no point in the ARUs history have they been exposed for what they really are, a self serving old boys club of back patting and excess, sleeping at the wheel while the train falls off a cliff. And to think they have knowingly and willingly put Australian rugby through hell to protect their personal networks over reform and growth is despicable.

The only thing the ARU has been shown to be this year is anti rugby.

21 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kalahard; 23-07-17 at 10:54.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    He sounds like my 4 year old when she doesn't get her own way!! Resign now we really don't care! Does he even like rugby!?
    Quite. Why doesn't he just FO now and take his little mate pullmeoff with him. Perhaps they can join Clarke in the naughty corner.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Really looking forward to next year's ARU accounts to see how much $$$$ they take with them when they go. Will they top JON's ~$2million?!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    On the face of it Clyne is making the Force's fight easier, because you couldn't possibly be more f#n stupid with the crap that comes out of his gob. On the other hand, he's like a Trump- he's so stupid, he's dangerous.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Clyne just resign now.
    You have no credibility in business, failed as CEO of the NAB bank failed as ARU chairman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    ....sleeping at the wheel while the train falls off a cliff.
    The Chairman speaks once again but not the CEO. Apparently Kala's post has been noted at HQ and inside sauces say Pulver did actually offer some advice...."er Mr Chairman, trains don't have a steering wheel and they run on tracks. So you can't actually steer them over a cliff even if you are asleep. I don't think those Sandgropers have a clue. So there's nothing to worry about"......

... but was told "Shut up Bill and pour the sherry. There's a good chap."

Apologies to Bernard Woolley.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Is something bothering Kalahard?

vCash
    Was there not something about the license could not be transferred with the authorisation of the FUARU? If that is the case the license hasn't been transferred or Clune is back telling more porkies!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Was there not something about the license could not be transferred with the authorisation of the FUARU? If that is the case the license hasn't been transferred or Clune is back telling more porkies!
    or it's been approved and he doesn't know.......

C'mon the

vCash
    That was quite nicely put together Kalahard. I was wondering (for a second anyway) whilst watching Offsiders last week whether the ARU would be nimble and smart enough to take advantage of the hot water the AFL have found themselves in over three of their execs knocking around - one on the field and the other two off, not to mention the NRL's ongoing dramas. As we know, that would simply be asking too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast