Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Indigenous Jersey Unveiled

vCash

Wallabies Indigenous Jersey Unveiled

Few days late on posting this one. But i'm really liking this jersey, would like to see it worn a bit more than a one off or annually TBH. Anything that recognises our first nations people is great to see IMO, and should be celebrated more and more. Just wish the ARU can get their shit together so i know whether i am going to buy one or not!

Kurtley Beale breaks out into corroboree dance while unveiling new Wallabies indigenous jersey
    JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
    July 17, 2017 7:22pm

KURTLEY Beale finally has the indigenous Wallabies jersey he has campaigned the ARU for years about.

Now he wants it worn annually.

Australia’s only current indigenous rugby international, Beale was inspired to push for recognition by union of Aboriginal culture after seeing the reaction to the NRL’s indigenous-All Stars match.

His request was heeded, and the Wallabies will become the first Australian team to wear an indigenous-inspired jersey in an international fixture when Australia host the All Blacks in the third Bledisloe Cup Test on October 21 in Brisbane.

“I saw that movement, to have the first indigenous-All Stars game, what a great celebration, that was awesome to see everyone from the communities coming to support their team,” Beale said.

“That really inspired me to push forward for this jersey, it’s great now we can do it.

“I’m hoping now we can stick to it and make it a yearly thing, I’ll be supporting that all the way.”

Beale kickstarted the jersey idea last June when he addressed the entire Wallabies’ playing group and staff about the meaning of the welcome to country ceremony, and his personal pride at representing his culture.

It was clear to all at the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence in Redfern on Monday what this means to Beale, as he performed an impromptu corroboree dance with members of the Tribal Warrior group before choking back tears speaking about the jersey’s value to him and others.

Afterwards, he told The Daily Telegraph how the snowball leading to this jersey’s creation began.

Beale was asked by Australian coach Michael Cheika to explain the meaning about the welcome to country ceremony, which is now done when both Test teams are on the field, whereas previously it was performed while the sides were in the sheds and most spectators were queuing for food and drink.

Beale walked into the rooms and presented the Wallabies squad with his own indigenous-designed national jersey.

“I’ve always had an idea to play in an indigenous Wallaby jersey, this was the first time we spoke about that,” Beale said.

“It was pretty emotional. Whenever we talk about it, it’s a touching subject for me, a real powerful thing, it stems from the gut, comes up and takes over.

“For me to be able to speak about it to my teammates was special, it was well received.

“It’s about paying respect to our culture, recognise a culture that’s been around for many, many years.

“For indigenous people to have that type of recognition, it means we feel a part of this new world.

“We feel more accepted and that people understand us and our culture.

“At the end of the day, ultimately, it’s a great way of having indigenous and non-indigenous people coming together and moving forward.

“We try to express that a lot, because in our history there were a lot of tough times; the Stolen Generation, the assimilation policy, going back many years.

“Sport is a great vehicle for us to do that and in our game I’m very passionate about that type of stuff, for us to be able to do that and for the boys to accept that was very special.

“Now that we’ve got the jersey and Cheik and the boys are behind it, it’s going to be an amazing experience.

“It doesn’t matter if there’s no indigenous players at that level of the game in the jersey, because I think it’s just important as a union that we recognise and pay that respect to the players of the past that have played the game, and the current.

“It just paints a really good picture for the people outside looking in now that the ARU are getting this jersey done.”

And that jersey Beale presented the team with last June — painted with a Wallaby and three waterholes representing the past, the present and the future indigenous players and the Aboriginal culture — has been hung in the team’s changerooms in every match since.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...15d182d503d077

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Kurtley Beale overcome with emotion at unveiling of Indigenous Wallabies jersey

JULY 18 2017
    Tom Decent

"I am a very proud Indigenous man."

Almost immediately after these words left the mouth of Wallabies star Kurtley Beale, a man from the Darug tribe in Sydney's west, he was overcome by emotion.

Speaking in Redfern at the unveiling of a special Wallabies jersey to commemorate the role of Indigenous Australians, Beale had to pause in order to compose himself as tears began to well in his eyes.

"I showed a bit of emotion there because it just touches you," Beale said. "It's awesome to be able to now finally recognise our culture.

"To be the person revealing it to everyone out there, it's just a special, special feeling. You don't understand how important it is for myself and for the other Indigenous players past and present.

"It's something I hold close to my heart and it's a proud day for us."

Beale has long pressed the Australian Rugby Union to design an Indigenous-themed jersey. Now his wish has come true.

Designed by artist Dennis Golding, the jersey features a Wallaby on the front and recognises the 14 Indigenous men to have represented Australia in XVs rugby.

Beale has endured a difficult few days, with his partner dragged into a scandal involving AFL executives.

Media in attendance were asked to respect Beale's privacy, given the significance of the day for him, and the request was respected by the assembled press pack.

Beale, who has returned from a stint playing in the UK, was asked to come to the front and dance with fellow Indigenous men. Given everything that has happened in recent days, he could have been forgiven for shying away from the cameras.

Instead, when it was his turn to take part in a solo, impromptu dance, Beale embraced the spotlight, giving a 15-second performance that brought a smile to faces of everyone in the room.

"That was pretty cool," said Beale afterwards. "I was a dancer when I was younger and I kind of went away from it but that's definitely flicked the ticker to get back involved in it.

"It's very spirited and it gives you a bit of a kick there. I'll be definitely trying to get into some dance class or some dance groups a bit down the line."

Beale is the only Indigenous player in the Wallabies set-up and is all too aware of the importance the jersey can have on future generations.

"To see the other codes [NRL and AFL] have an Indigenous round, I can just see the reaction from the Indigenous community," Beale said. "It's always a special day. When these guys were up here dancing, it's a very powerful thing. I'm very glad we were able to do it.

"This is a great step forward because there will be a lot of young Indigenous kids out there now, boy and girl, who will see this jersey displayed in Bledisloe game three.

"Hopefully now that can influence them to play our game. It's something I'm very passionate about; to be able to influence young Indigenous kids."

Indigenous female rugby player Mahalia Murphy was also present and threw her support behind an equivalent women's jersey to be produced for the Sydney Sevens tournament on Australia Day.

"I'd be awesome to see," Murphy said. "I was hoping to organise a jersey for us."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...17-gxcwnz.html

vCash

vCash
    Don't agree with this jersey being adopted as the only jersey.
    I have no issues with an indigenous round or occasionally this being the jersey used by our National team.

A&TSIs represent about 3% of the population.

A&TSIs players in Super Rugby represent about 5% of players in the 5 Aussie franchises.

There was no rugby played in Australia prior to 1788.

The Wallaby jersey should represent the national team of ALL Australians - not just a minority.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good point Andrew G, but I think it would be better to compare number of A&TSI players in other professional sporting codes. It's purely anecdotal, but I would think they are over represented in sport relative to their population.

I would prefer to know how Rugby compares to League/AFL/Netball/tennis etc,

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Don't agree with this jersey being adopted as the only jersey.
    It's not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

I would prefer to know how Rugby compares to League/AFL/Netball/tennis etc,
    I can tell you without looking up the numbers - not well at all. Know SFA about AFL except to say they are well over represented.
    In the NRL try - Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Will Chambers, Sam Thaiday, Wade Graham, Andrew Fifita, Jack Bird, Blake Ferguson. That's just current Origin players. Imagine if some WA people with a few quid decided to provide scholarships to, say Aranmore, for WA indigenous kids - like Beale going to Joey's. Could be more than a few candidates for The Future Force out there.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    At the pro rugby level all I can think of are Matt Hodgson, Kurtley Beale and the Faingaas. Am I forgetting anyone?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I love the jersey and what it stands for. It represents the first Australians, is undeniably Australian and could not be confused for anything else. I see this as representing the whole of Australia as it is part of our history and heritage. That small percentage of our population when placed into years represents the majority of our history.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    It's undeniably Australian ... there's 4 prominent kangaroo's on it; I know one's a wallaby...
    It's s'posed to represent Australia, nothing else and it does just that ... very much so.
    The only thing out of place is the crusty old coat of arms !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    It's not.
    But clearly some people would like it to be.......

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/22...sey-permanent/

vCash
    I'll just say I don't imagine NZ rugby fans feel excluded by the haka and I certainly don't feel excluded by this jersey.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Do I need to get tested for colour blindness? There are quite a few complaints about the jersey being too "canary Yellow" among the Roar comments. The image above definitely looks gold to me rather than yellow. There seems to be a slight illusion where the artwork fades in as lime green perhaps? I think it's by far the best strip they've come up with since they first started fooling around with things.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Andrew G Fair play , What about a Ramadan shirt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    What about a Ramadan shirt?
    Somehow managing to make a comment that's even more brainless than the usual spam you post.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast