Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks 2017

vCash

Wallabies v All Blacks 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Sports
    What Wallabies coach Michael Cheika learnt from All Blacks v Lions series

So apparently Michael Cheika can learn stuff., what did he learn?

IT can’t be easy being Michael Cheika.

The Wallabies coach — who guided the Waratahs to the 2014 Super Rugby title — has had to watch on helplessly through a 25-0 New Zealand shutout of Australian teams this season... and now he’s expected to turn these blokes into Bledisloe Cup droughtbreakers?
    Good luck with that.
    But Cheika’s not into self pity and nor will that do him or his team any good.
    The sun was shining at Cheika’s Coogee Oval happy place on Wednesday as he prepares to roll up the sleeves and put a 38-man train-on squad through its paces.
    Next week promises to be a brutal conditioning block, given Cheika’s penchant for hard yakka and an admission that some players came into the June Test window in below-par physical condition.
    So number one is to not change his training methods?

The Australian rugby public understands that the All Blacks are simply superior to this current Wallabies side and most probably expect a 3-0 Bledisloe series defeat.
    What they will not cop, however, is a repeat of the shambolic Scotland loss or last year’s 42-8 annihilation in Bledisloe I.

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika speaks to the media at Coogee Oval.
    Source: AFP
    So did the All Blacks v British and Irish Lions series provide just a sliver of hope?
    Despite only leading for three of the 240 minutes, Warren Gatland’s Lions defied the odds to hold the All Blacks to a drawn series, riding Owen Farrell’s boot, Andy Farrell’s patented rush defence and a few moments of magic from the likes of Liam Williams and Conor Murray.
    Cheika, of course, was an interested observer and has plenty of time to plot for the August 19 Rugby Championship opener in Sydney.
    “We’ve obviously got different personnel (to the Lions), we play a slightly different way but there would be a few things that we would be naive not to have a look at, with what they did that put a bit of pressure on at different times of the game,” Cheika told foxsports.com.au.
    Aaaah, here we go, he learned to look at successful teams and identify what they do to beat the All Blacks, this looks promising!

“New Zealand was missing a few players throughout that series as well, that were crucial to their campaign.
    “They’ve still got so much weaponry that we’ve got to be ready for and over the next few weeks we’re going to do our best to be ready.”
    READ MORE: Winners and losers in Wallabies squad
    The British and Irish Lions and All Blacks after sharing the series at Eden Park in Auckland.
    Source: AFP
    The Lions used a kick-heavy gameplan against the All Blacks with mixed results.
    Cheika said he gained limited tactical nuggets from the series but a reminder of the ferocity required from top rugby teams.
    “I thought the games were about intensity,” Cheika said.
    Hang on.....He's always said it's about intensity, did he learn anything at all?

“If you’re going to take something out of it, that’s the huge thing.
    Nope, nothing tactically, just "get fired up more"

“The intensity of the games almost eliminated some of the tactical stuff.
    Seriously? So the Lions actually challenged the All Blacks and all they did was play with more "Intensity"?

“Maybe in game one there was a bit more of that (tactics), but that’s (intensity) probably the thing you see the most.
    OK Good, so there's some tasty nugget of a chink in the vaunted All Black armour which he can exploit to make us not look like we play for an Albanian Kindergarten

“All the players would be looking at it and you don’t need to be watching another team, you need to be playing at the highest intensity of your life to be able to compete with them (All Blacks).
    There it is again, we will win the Bledisloe if we can only play with "intensity"

“That’s what we’re going to be doing.”
    And apparently this year we're going to be trying HARD ENOUGH, So why the hell is his current train on squad brimming with Tahs and Reds? Both teams have been comprehensively out-enthused since the test window closed

Rod Kafer has taken a new job with the ARU.
    Source: News Corp Australia
    Cheika said he agreed with new ARU staffer Rod Kafer that Australian rugby had lost its cutting edge regarding innovation.
    No shit Sherlock, could it be because the only thing the head coach gets from watching the Blackness come within a bee's dick of getting dusted is "intensity"?

The two men were in regular contact anyway but the relationship is now formalised after Kafer’s appointment to a high performance role.
    So they've been talking regularly and nothing has changed, so what will change now that the ARU are throwing money at Kafer, will they talk less?

“That creativity, smarts is something I grew up with and like to think I’m still coaching,” Cheika said.
    “It’s not just about running rugby, it’s more about the speed and intensity as well, and being able to deliver that creativity at high speed.
    “Because what’s changed is the advent of defence, defences have improved out of sight.
    So it isn't about running? It's about intensity? and Defense, well thank God we've got Nathan Grey running the Aussie defense, he's done such a bang up job with the Tahs

“So the creative rugby is a lot more challenging and that’s why you’re seeing teams kick more, because sometimes it’s just easier to defend.
    So everybody is kicking because running is hard? One would think a professional athlete might choose to spend some time doing stuff that's hard, the All Blacks seem to manage to fit it in

“That’s something we try not to do.
    Of course, we're focusing on "intensity"

“You see it in our game sometimes — we go off on those long phases of play, then there’s an error, they kick it down the other end and the momentum swings.
    “So it’s a balance.
    “To play that attacking style you’ve got to have a certain fitness level because you’ve got to be working harder.”
    I think Michael Cheika is holding on as hard as he can in the hope of getting a good severance package, there was nothing in that interview to make me confident.

Original https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...m_campaign=crm

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Look, I'm not a Cheika fan, but do you really think he is going to tell the media about how he intends to beat the opposition? They have so few weaknesses that if something is identified they will respond quickly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Great analysis GIGS!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    The blueprint has been shown by the Lions, which is amazing rush defence narrow which leaves a lot of space out wide but the rush defence uts the ABs on the back foot and they don't deal with it very well.

vCash
    I would think Wessells, Berne & Barakat must surely find the Kafe Coaching Clinic idea to be a bit of a joke - the best coaches in Aus this season, and they're expected to get instructions from Kafe? Haven't they already shown they don't need the advice.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Great analysis GIGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    The blueprint has been shown by the Lions, which is amazing rush defence narrow which leaves a lot of space out wide but the rush defence uts the ABs on the back foot and they don't deal with it very well.
    I have thought (since they lost that World Cup quarter final) that the best way to beat New Zealand is to unsettle them. They don't like it when the opposition stands up to them. I assume that'll be worse now that they have a generation of players who haven't come up against opposition who are capable of putting them under pressure.

You all know I didn't watch the Lions series, but Yungfen's post implies that this is still the case.

C'mon the

vCash
    It sure still applies but it requires a lot of disciplined work not to be offside too much and obviously not to miss your tackles!

vCash
    It sure still applies but it requires a lot of disciplined work not to be offside too much and obviously not to miss your tackles!
    Or a referee who actually refs offside properly - I thought the Lions were offside about 80% of the time in those 3 games

vCash
    If Kafer is as uninspiring as a coach as he is as a commentator, heaven help the Wallabies.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Yeah the NZ press made a lot of that from what I read....

Poachers turned gamekeepers

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Or a referee who actually refs offside properly - I thought the Lions were offside about 80% of the time in those 3 games
    Nah...all we need is intensity

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    It's the only metric by which a game of rugby can be measured isn't it bison?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It's the only metric by which a game of rugby can be measured isn't it bison?
    Discipline...blood and guts...passion....sweat...1% etc

Oh and don't forget key performance indicators

What happened to joi de vivre

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor