Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Twiggy backs the Force

vCash
    No it doesn't. What anybody does with their money is their own business. There are people in other websites asking these questions. People who have pledged the majority of their wealth to charity and spent years working to end modern slavery among other good works should not be disrespected.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Maybe RugbyWA had the foresight and brains to See that a centralised system is the way forward and were pioneers... then the fucktards at the ARU had a brainfart and here we are

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill1524 View Post
    I asked Adam last night why he hasn't signed a new contract yet and he said that they (the Force, I presume?) hadn't put one in front of him. I can't, for a minute, imagine the Force not wanting to retain him.
    Without the ARU who currently run the Force back office printing off the paperwork why is it so surprising

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash

WF boss says backing of Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest will be valuable for survival

Western Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry says having the backing of billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest will be a valuable weapon as the club continues to fight for Super Rugby survival.

The West Australian franchise enjoyed one its most memorable evenings on Saturday by thrashing a hapless Waratahs outfit 40-11 at nib Stadium.

In what was a fitting send-off for captain Matt Hodgson, the night got even better when Forrest, a mining magnate worth an estimated $4.5 billion, told Force players the club had his full support.

"Be assured that surviving is not an issue, you will survive and you will win," Forrest told players in the post-match huddle.

Sinderberry is not entirely sure if that will be monetary support but nonetheless argued it was a significant boost for the club.

"He's standing shoulder-to-shoulder and behind the club to ensure that we continue to survive, so that will take whatever form is required," Sinderberry told Fairfax Media. "You'd like to think in terms of building a broader economic position for the club it's very valuable.

"It's reflective of how Western Australians feel about the club and the importance of the continued growth of rugby in Western Australia. Obviously Andrew is a very proud West Australian and committed to seeing West Australian teams given every opportunity to develop and succeed. He's always had an ongoing interest in the game."

The Force and Australian Rugby Union will go to arbitration on July 31 to sort out whether the code's governing body has the power to remove the franchise from Super Rugby.

Sinderberry, who will travel to Sydney for the arbitration, said a lot of the work on that front has already been taken care of.

He argued Saturday's turnout was further evidence as to why the ARU could not possibly remove the Force.

"The passion for the game; ultimately that's what is showing here," Sinderberry said. "We're really excited about the progress we're making at the Force.

"There were so many good things that were seen on Saturday night that have been building all year. It was a very good performance by a team that's on the improve and a coaching staff that have come together well.

"I'm just incredibly delighted for the coaching staff, what Dave Wessels has done and delighted for Matt Hodgson in terms of a stellar career."

A recurring comment in the wake of the Waratahs' terrible performance was that it should be NSW – not the Force or Rebels – that should be booted from the competition.

Last year, outgoing Waratahs chief executive Greg Harris irritated some in the west by suggesting the Force should be relocated to Sydney but still play a limited number of fixtures in Perth.

Sinderberry hit back immediately, saying Harris should simply worry about his own backyard.

Asked for his thoughts on Sunday regarding the overwhelming Waratahs backlash, Sinderberry said: "It's pretty unfair. We've also got to be mindful those people across the ditch are the real challenge for us and collectively we've all got to get better."

Sinderberry also revealed Hodgson would remain at the club in a coaching capacity.

"He's got a couple of specific areas he's going to start working on around coaching and being involved with that," Sinderberry said. "He's got a couple of months to get himself sorted out, then we can start to shape that future. We're very keen for him to be part of the club going forward."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...16-gxca00.html

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Western Force future: Andrew Forrest tells ARU board his support is tied to WA club

Billionaire businessman Andrew Forrest has thrown his financial weight and influence behind a campaign to prevent Western Force being axed from the Australian Rugby Union (ARU).

Mr Forrest, a club foundation member, gave a passionate on-field address to the players after the Force ended its Super Rugby season with a 29-point win over the Waratahs in Perth on Saturday night.

The ARU board is set to decide if the Force or the Melbourne Rebels will be cut from the competition.

Mr Forrest told the players the state was behind them and the club would survive its predicament.

"You've gotta recognise that the people of Western Australia are so proud of you — what you achieved tonight is not an aberration," he said.

"Surviving is not the issue. You will survive and you will win. Your state is totally behind you."

The Fortescue Metals chairman has issued a statement saying he "pledged his full support for the Western Force rugby team", and his love for the game was his only motivation.

In the statement, Mr Forrest "assured the Australian Rugby Union board that his ongoing support for rugby would be contingent upon it remaining a national, not an eastern states-only, sport".

He said he wanted the Force to know: "I, as a proud Western Australian, have their backs."

Western Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry said the club had been in dialogue with Mr Forrest.

"There's a range of activities that are going on at the moment and his support will ensure that we can continue, and be very aggressive in how we can continue, to pursue our case with the Australian Rugby Union to ensure Western Force remain here in WA," he said.

Mr Sinderberry said it was too early to be specific about what support Mr Forrest might provide, and while a financial commitment was a potential option, they "hadn't got to that discussion".

"It's impossible to quantify it or even say that it's necessary, but it's more important that Andrew is absolutely behind us," he said.

Forrest a long term supporter of rugby

Mr Forrest put money into the Force 15 Foundation when it was set up in 2007.

John Welborn, WA's first born-and-bred Wallaby player, said that had been a source of funds for development of the game in the state.

"Andrew's comments, significantly, are that this is a community game," he said.

"Rugby WA administers school boys' sport, they administer club sport and they administer the Western Force.

"Andrew's not buying the team — like all of us who love rugby in Western Australia, he's a keen supporter and I think it's fantastic that he's come out and said he's going to do everything he can ensure that Western Force both survive and thrive.
    "Obviously, there's a financial imperative and there's an argument about how much the Western Force has already demonstrated in its ability to be financially independent."

Mr Welborn said logic, financial support and performance all had to play a role in the ARU's decision.

Comments 'warm' Minister's heart

WA Sports Minister Mick Murray was at the Western Force match, which he described as "a sensational moment".

Western Force are still up against it a little, but working very hard — as you may have seen with 'Twiggy' Forrest and the Government as well — working very hard to make sure they survive," he said.

Mr Murray said he saw Mr Forrest talking to the players after the game.

"That warmed my heart — he's a Western Australian of the Year, talking to people that are under the pump a bit about where they go in the future and saying that he's out there supporting them. I thought it was tremendous," he said.

"Western Australia seems to be a long way away from the other side of the world, which is Sydney and Melbourne, so if he was out there and waving the flag for Western Australia, I think this helps."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...y-team/8713284

Champion
    vCash
    So many people on the social medias bemoaning why Mr Forrest had waited until the 11th hour to back to the Force is so sad. The guy has been a member since day one and has contributed greatly to the Force 15 Foundation, the same Force 15 Foundation that has been providing jersey sponsors and Future Force Foundation Academy funding. To insinuate he is a blow in is very disrespectful. I hope he can help save the Force and look forward to his ongoing support and contributions to our great game and our Mighty Western Force well into the future.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Not to mention FMG being the jersey sponsor for MH#7 since its inception. I can't imagine that number went cheaply!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Don't think Twiggy would even need to do anything at all, just having his name as support in the background is surely enough to scare the bejesus out of the ARU. Bit like: this aint a threat - it's a promise.

vCash
    Also, whatever sponsorship FMG provides is done as a publicly listed company and should be providing some value back to shareholders (not to say it doesn't do that). Private funding is adifferent matter.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    I'm probably going to be pilloried for this comment, but, diehard Force supporter or not, that was a bit of showboating from Twiggy.

No one else would have been permitted to front up to pledge their allegiance to the team like that.

Money talks. I hope his speaks for us.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    I'm probably going to be pilloried for this comment, but, diehard Force supporter or not, that was a bit of showboating from Twiggy.
    Maybe, but was there anything he said that you disagreed with? And for that matter, who better to say it than a Foundation Member and long term sponsor?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I would have thought anyone with the means to to support such a pledge would have been allowed to make it. Especially if they were a long term supporter such as twiggy.

I think his timing was impeccable. Was there any other moment when it would have gotten the same coverage, and had the same impact as Saturday night?

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post

No one else would have been permitted to front up to pledge their allegiance to the team like that.

Money talks. I hope his speaks for us.
    It is a forum to express different views so not having a go at you, but I disagree with you and do not think that it was showboating at all.
    he is a passionate supporter like all of us on here. Whatever support he will bring to the club will surely ensure our future in the competition and hopefully our success based on the progression that we have shown under immense stress.

Champion
    vCash
    You don't accrue the kind of wealth Twiggy has without backing yourself in and putting your money where your mouth is. Either that or he has been following the highly acclaimed Winning With Westie thread.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    the highly acclaimed Winning With Westie thread.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast