Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Twiggy backs the Force

Senior Player
    vCash
    Fin Review article including more details about the loan scheme

Also has WA indicated it will match the Vic govt promo funding?

Updated Aug 1 2017 at 9:58 AM

Billionaire Andrew Forrest versus Victorian government to save Super Rugby team

John Stensholt

Andrew Forrest has provided a dramatic twist in the race to chop one of the local Super Rugby teams, throwing his voluble weight and potentially some money behind the case for Perth's Western Force to survive the cut.

But legal issues surrounding the Force's right to stay in the competition may scupper the the billionaire Rich List member's plans. Arbitration hearings this week are set to decide the team's fate and a decision may hinge on legal interpretations of rugby union's broadcast deal with Fox Sports.

And it remains unclear just how much money Forrest, chairman of Fortescue Metals Group, will contribute to the cause. This is in contrast to the Victorian government which has promised a package of up to $14 million to help the Melbourne Rebels and bring top-class rugby union events to Melbourne.

But former Wallaby John Welborn, the chief executive of Perth-based gold producer Resolute Mining, said Forrest's involvement has galvanised the Perth rugby and business community.

"Andrew is such as lightning rod for attention...but he's also a former rugby player with a real passion for the game. It's not just about putting in money, he's been impressed with the team's community plans. The ARU talks about it being a financial issue, but Andrew Forrest has seen the iron ore price go from $180 per tonne to $40 at one stage so he knows how to operate when revenue is falling."

Both the Force and Rebels have been jockeying for survival since Australian Rugby Union chairman and former National Australia Bank boss Cameron Clyne announced on April 9 the governing body would cut one local team.

Clyne and his chief executive Bill Pulver cited financial concerns as the main reason, as well as worries about having enough good Australian players to cover five teams. NSW, Queensland and the Canberra-based Brumbies were guaranteed survival, with one of the Force or Rebels to go.

At various stages since then both the Force and Rebels had individually seemed likely for the chop, but the Force is now seen as the most likely team given its licence to compete in Super Rugby is owned by the ARU (the Rebels' private owners Andrew Cox and Peter Sidwell holds its licence for now) even though the Force has taken legal action to try to survive.

Mediation between the ARU and Force begun in Clayton Utz's Sydney offices on Monday with up to five days set aside for the deliberations.

Arguments hinge on the Force's participation agreement clinched with the ARU when it transferred ownership of the club from Rugby WA to the ARU in early 2016. The agreement has the Force staying in Super Rugby for the term of the current broadcast agreement with Fox Sports. But the ARU argues changes to the competition – including two South African teams leaving next season – means the TV deal has also changed.

But Forrest's public intervention, which began with a rousing post-match speech to the Force playing group circled around him at nib Stadium after its last match of the season against NSW on July 15, could provide another twist.

The Force lodged a prospectus with the corporate regulator earlier this year aiming to raise $10 million from the public in "Own the Force". It was to take a minimum of $5 million and up to $15 million in $1000 allotments per share, and recently extended the deadline for potential investment to November.

Forrest has pledged to match the dollars any investor puts in if they want to pay in instalments rather than the full amount. A $1000 pledge would be funded via a Forrest loan, with repayments made to the Force via direct debit instalments over up to two years.

Meanwhile, the Victorian government and events arm Visit Victoria has thrown its support behind the Rebels and is set to effectively underwrite the transfer of its licence from its private owners to the Victorian Rugby Union. It has threatened the ARU to withdraw wider financial support should the Rebels be chopped.

Players from the Force and Rebels have pragmatically signed contracts with the teams for next season, but also other sides in case either are closed down.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/bi...#ixzz4oT5tAtgF

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hmmm wonder if the article in The Fin is accurate in saying the ARU/RWA are in mediation at Clayton Utz Sydney rooms? A lot different to arbitration.

P.S. this is the first time anyone has said that the Vic Govt will underwrite the transfer of the Rabble licence. Which could mean a different things - or nothing.

Last edited by shasta; 01-08-17 at 11:37.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Arbitration can be conducted anywhere, even in a lawyer's office.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Guess The Fin got their terms mixed up then.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Maybe I could go visit the the Arbitration? tis only 1 hour 40 minutes from my place by public transport.

Fulvio can I be a spectator at an arbitration?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Why would any sane person -business or otherwise, willingly 'throw' $14 mill package at an entity that has proven to be a financial disaster in every way - bad management, dodgy deals/owners, lack of community support, minimal market fighting other bigger codes, no facilities and a history of being a money pit with no return. To turn the Rebels around isn't going to take just money, it'll require an entire rebuild from ground up. That's been the Rebels whole problem. To take on a massive risk like that (and using Govt money) shows how to fail school Economics 101. Can't believe this is anything but another bullcrap story.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Guess The Fin got their terms mixed up then.
    Yeah, looks like it. Melbourne were scheduled to enter mediation with the ARU last month - but the Rebels pulled out. Force - ARU is arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Why would any sane person -business or otherwise, willingly 'throw' $14 mill package at an entity that has proven to be a financial disaster in every way ... Can't believe this is anything but another bullcrap story.
    Agreed.

But the $14m figure is not new, and it's not money for the Rebels. It is/was the Vic govts "partnership agreement" with the ARU for events including a Bledisloe and a possible rugby centre of excellence.

The Fin seem to be over-egging the Rebels angle.

I think the WA govt might have agreed to match the Bledisloe deal at the new Burswood stadium anway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    I think the WA govt might have agreed to match the Bledisloe deal at the new Burswood stadium anway.
    It would be eminently sensible for them to do that. The place would be packed.

for me, the ARU decision will determine whether I wear gold or black.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It would be eminently sensible for them to do that. The place would be packed.

for me, the ARU decision will determine whether I wear gold or black.

Wear Black??

Hang on that is just taking things a little to far.

Exile
    Sydney

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Wear Black??

Hang on that is just taking things a little to far.
    I think Gigs is just talking about the lack of variety in his wardrobe.

vCash
    Isn't "wearing black" what the judge wears before he hands down a death sentence?

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I thought it was what teenage girls wore and said "I hate you" to their parents.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Mourning people.

It'll also make it a lot easier to get home without being beaten up by drunk bogan who want to tell me that my teams shut

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I thought it was what teenage girls wore and said "I hate you" to their parents.
    Goths (or emos) aren't exclusively girls. Plenty of male goths.

Plus, I was a fan of the Levellers, New Model Army, Sisters of Mercy, etc, so I wore a lot of black growing up.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Goths (or emos) aren't exclusively girls. Plenty of male goths.

Plus, I was a fan of the Levellers, New Model Army, Sisters of Mercy, etc, so I wore a lot of black growing up.
    Same! Sisters of Mercy were bloody awesome! Still listen to the Floodland album a lot even now!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast