Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Cheetahs and King off to the now Pro 14

  1. #16
    Champion chibi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chinatown, Roe St
    Posts
    1,890
    vCash
    5480000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    - Scotland has identified that they have a problem with players having to make the step up from amateur rugby to Pro 12 level with Glasgow and Edinburgh (sounds familiar!) so they are intending to install a semi-pro league between club rugby and Pro 12. I don't know if this means that the top level of club rugby (clubs like Hawick, Melrose, Stirling, Heriot's, etc) becomes semi-pro, or there will be a new level created (like the NRC). I have noted that some of the old powerhouses of Scottish rugby like Selkirk and Edinburgh Academicals are now plying their trade in the 3rd tier of Scottish rugby. How the once mighty have fallen!

    * Edit: sorry, the last couple of months!
    Yeah this is something I've often wondered about pertaining to the traditional Welsh clubs. If they scrapped the Welsh regions and the Welsh clubs and English clubs were in a "British Rugby Premiership," would we see the rise of these clubs as strong entities once again? Seeing as a lot of the Welsh clubs were bigger than a number of the English clubs, would they benefit being part of a league that has a larger commercial and broadcast revenue, especially as, all things being equal, they are big clubs at grass-roots and attendance level? I actually think the English clubs would be against their inclusions really, wouldn't they?

    ***EDIT - And the Cheetahs got thumped in their opening game too. Wonder what any of the Oranje-Vrystaat/Orange Free State fans think of their proud province getting smacked by Ulster?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 02-09-17 at 20:37.


    Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

    Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

  2. #17
    Champion sittingbison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Freo
    Posts
    1,996
    vCash
    5340000
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Yeah this is something I've often wondered about pertaining to the traditional Welsh clubs. If they scrapped the Welsh regions and the Welsh clubs and English clubs were in a "British Rugby Premiership," would we see the rise of these clubs as strong entities once again? Seeing as a lot of the Welsh clubs were bigger than a number of the English clubs, would they benefit being part of a league that has a larger commercial and broadcast revenue, especially as, all things being equal, they are big clubs at grass-roots and attendance level? I actually think the English clubs would be against their inclusions really, wouldn't they?

    ***EDIT - And the Cheetahs got thumped in their opening game too. Wonder what any of the Oranje-Vrystaat/Orange Free State fans think of their proud province getting smacked by Ulster?
    No

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

  3. #18
    Champion sittingbison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Freo
    Posts
    1,996
    vCash
    5340000
    As to the Boer....rule 303... RULE 303

    Nothing to do with Saffers here, you're with us we're with you, all of us in this together. Them over east, the Boer....fuckem

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

  4. #19
    Veteran beige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,268
    vCash
    5208000
    Big losses for both teams first-up.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #20
    Champion sittingbison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Freo
    Posts
    1,996
    vCash
    5340000
    Schadenfreude is a dish best served cold

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

  6. #21
    Player terrycobner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    5174000
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....orth-1.3206389

    They'll all be there soon. Seems money talks. Can we or should we get in there too?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #22
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bullcreek
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    5550000
    So have the board of the ARU even considered South Africa may be gone in two years!? Or is this just another thing to bury their heads in sand over?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #23
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    17,049
    vCash
    1196000
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Or is this just another thing to bury their heads in sand over?
    They're undertaking their "customary risk assessment and decision making protocols"

    so.....yes.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  9. #24
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    11,326
    vCash
    5560000
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    So have the board of the ARU even considered South Africa may be gone in two years!? Or is this just another thing to bury their heads in sand over?
    They are in the process of doing a massive spreadsheet.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

  10. #25
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    21,564
    vCash
    50000
    MO-vember Donator Member of the Order of TWF TWF Contributor!
    Why don't they just have a South African Conference for the Top Whatever and give it a catchy name?
    I dunno, something like "Curry Cup" perhaps...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Martin Luther King
    By The Lone Hydrangea in forum Geek Speak
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-07, 18:32
  2. Waratahs to sound out King
    By Burgs in forum NSW Waratahs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18-06-07, 14:59
  3. Tahs turn to King's men
    By Burgs in forum NSW Waratahs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-07, 23:43
  4. King of the Kids
    By LarryNJ in forum Public Bar
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 18-09-06, 18:55
  5. The breakdown king
    By NewsBot in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-05, 18:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •