Poll: So this mascot thing?

Thread: Mascot is not just an airport..

vCash

Mascot is not just an airport..

For ages now I've been bothered by Westy. I'm sure he was named by some joker in a Sydney office who wanted to label all Sandgropers as Bogans. While The Dark Swan is a wonderful emblem for us to celebrate, Westy seems to be deficient in the things that actually make a swan the graceful beast it usually is.

Namely, a long serpentine neck and a proud tail. Some of you may remember my failed "give Westy a tail" campaign of a few years back?

After seeing Westy and the Clough helmet on legs engage in a little "mascotry" last night on the North Eastern concourse, I'm moved to type again. The Clough Helmet is in my opinion, an excellent mascot. It takes the piss in a way that can only be described as fun and positive. A helmet is a friendly device that will always try to protect you (when you've not lost it under the tools in the back of the ute). The Sun, falling objects and road pavements are all the sworn enemy of helmets. Who despite this onslaught, cheerfully continue with their work. The Clough Helmet on legs celebrates this perfectly.

A swan is a powerful and graceful bird with hidden behavioural issues. A pissed off swan is something to be genuinely feared. Does Westy really project all this? Not even close. She? He? It? Is more of a mutant magpie that got into bother trying to paint it's moody teenage bedroom black and dark blue..

Either Westy needs to grow a long neck and a proud tail by next year or go and look for work elsewhere.

Last night's welcome to country was one of the coolest I've seen. I grew up as a country boy who had a less than dismal view of our first Australians. It's funny how life experience and a little listening can change your point of view. I now think we have a good deal to learn from the Noongah nation and generally pay close attention to the Welcome To Country. I thought last night's was delivered in great spirit and friendliness. It reminded me of a thought I had a while back..

Imagine if our mascot was a snake!! Animated, hissing sparks and angry!! Think of a 4 person Chinese new year dragon. Force blue, with gold and black diamonds running the length of it's spine. Brightly lit yellow snake eyes and a tongue that spat sparks! So imposing visiting teams would need an extra toilet visit before kickoff!!

Obviously the Noongar elders would need to be consulted before we go appropriating the Wagyl as the force's mascot. But I hope they'd see this as a celebration of their culture as well as a great Western Australian symbol.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by antiussentiment; 08-07-17 at 11:23. Reason: Soo many typoss....
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Champion
    vCash
    Who are you calling a mutant magpie

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    ..and anybody who'd like to have a crack at the spelling of Marrawah Cotch.
    Please feel free.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Not sure I would like to be a member of the "helmet heads" 😂😂😂

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Not sure I would like to be a member of the "helmet heads" 😂😂😂
    Roscoe Rules?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I've thought all along he was a crow! The penny's never dropped he's meant to be a Swan! Defoe needs an upgrade!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I've thought all along he was a crow! The penny's never dropped he's meant to be a Swan! Defoe needs an upgrade!
    You see my problem..
    ~ smiles ~

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Champion
    vCash
    Leave Westy alone !

I had to laugh when we had the "Blue People"on the ground when tries were scored , a young kid said "Whats with the Blue People with the 2 bumps on their chest"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!