Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Force V Waratahs Saturday 15th July 5.45pm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    what a great night to be a part of this club thank you to all the players that made this a night to remember pity the the opposition failed to turn up if they make up the bulk of the wallabies we are F----D
    They WILL make up the majority of the wallabies, the ARU can't afford to pay match payments to the players who deserve a spot and also pay those overpriced princesses to sit at home and watch.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    Did Twiggy just buy the Force?
    Nah he was just offering to buy the team carton this week

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Actually the truth is it was something along the lines of 'We are going to be around for a long time'

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Video of Twiggy's speech to the boys is here

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/m...9383acfce3ea09

Will need to make it happen now, or look pretty silly and when you have $5billion you don't like looking silly!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    lost for words. So happy so proud. Had the whole family there tonight and could not have been a better night to drag along a 2 and 6 year old. Nothing could spoil it.

I thought Rona had a great game last pass on a couple of tries and his offload for the first try was awesome to see.

I know I said lost for words. I put the phone down three times whilst posting to drink beer and savour the win.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    I've just finished shift and checked the score.....

WTF is going on??????

We want 50!
    We want 50!
    We want 50!
    We want 50!
    I was at that game!

vCash
    That was fate and karma at work right there!

So gutted I missed it

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    I've just finished shift and checked the score.....

WTF is going on??????

We want 50!
    We want 50!
    We want 50!
    We want 50!
    I was hoping you were going to drive up to the game with your neighbour Dom! The drive home would have been enjoyable!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Love your post on gagr Andrew, offering to sell the Tahs supporters Force stickers
    Nice one

vCash
    This is SSSsssooo sweet. Still celebrating in the city. So many non-Rugby folk are happy too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Oh I like this Wayne Smith article in the Oz

Especially this bit "The dramatic intervention of Forrest, whose personal worth is estimated at $5billion, could just be the game-changer the Force and Hodgson in particular have been praying for. If the Force are able to pay their way, the ARU surely has no grounds to axe them, especially as their win tonight means they finish the season locked with the Australian conference winners, the Brumbies, on six wins apiece."

Senior sport writerBrisbane
    @WayneKeithSmith

If ever the rugby gods granted a player’s every wish, it was tonight at nib Stadium as Western Force captain Matt Hodgson booted his first goal ever in his final match of his career to seal a stunning 40-11 victory over the Waratahs.

But it was only after fulltime that the good news really arrived.

Barely had the match concluded than Perth mining billionaire Twiggy Forrest called the Force players into a huddle and announced that he would finance their continued survival as a Super Rugby team. The Australian Rugby Union has made it its mission to cull them from the competition but the Perth outfit simply refuses to lie down, let alone to die.

The dramatic intervention of Forrest, whose personal worth is estimated at $5billion, could just be the game-changer the Force and Hodgson in particular have been praying for. If the Force are able to pay their way, the ARU surely has no grounds to axe them, especially as their win tonight means they finish the season locked with the Australian conference winners, the Brumbies, on six wins apiece.

And if that means going contritely back to SANZAAR and admitting they got it wrong when they promised to cut Australia’s Super Rugby presence from five teams to four, then so be it.

The realisty was that they demolished a side that easily outstrips them in terms of Wallabies top-up, with NSW fielding no fewer than 10 Test players in their starting side. But it was not until the 74th minute that the Tahs finally opened their try-scoring account, when hooker Hugh Roach scored at the front of a lineout. By then, however, the Force had already scored five tries of their own on the board as they methodically tore the Waratahs apart.

It was by far their highest winning score against NSW, their biggest winning margin again them and the first time they had ever scored five tries against them. And to inflict further pain on the team from Sydney, it was the fourth match in succession that the Tahs have leaked 40 points. Clearly, the defensive patterns built by the man who is now the fulltime defence coach for the Wallabies, Nathan Grey, have completely collapsed.

Hodgson was almost in tears as he spoke to the adoring Perth fans, the legendary Sea of Blue, after the match. “If I could write a script, I’d pretty much write it that way,” Hodgson said. “We spoke during the week about (me) kicking the goal at the end, so I’m glad we were 30 points in front. It’s something I always dreamed about, at home, winning, so it’s awesome.

“What the players did for me tonight, that was something pretty special and I don’t think I will ever forget that and I just want to be part of this forever.”

It could have gone either way tonight, with the emotion not just of Hodgson’s impending retirement but of the fact that this could have been the final match the Force ever player threatening to spill over. But a runaway try within 56 seconds of the kick-off by winger Alex Newsome ensured that all the passion was channelled into the win and, really, from that point, the Waratahs were scarcely in the game.

In every respect, the Force turned on a wet weather master class, pinning the Tahs in their own territory and then pouncing on their mistakes – which came thick and fast as the conditions turned the football into a cake of soap. It really was a performance that the best of the NZ sides would have been proud to claim.

The Waratahs had players of their own retiring or leaving for overseas or interstate, in Dean Mumm, Rob Horne and David Horowitz, but they had attempted to play – intentionally – an ice-cool brand of football. It was supposed to be detached but somehow it came out as disinterested. The intense heat of the Force performance entirely melted the Tahs’ cool demeanour and clearly Dave Wessels won this edition of the coaching battle from Daryl Gibson.

By halftime, the Force had opened up a 26-6 lead, with former Waratah Tatafu Polota-Nau steering over a driving maul try, winger Marcel Brache flopping on Dane Haylett-Petty’s neat grubber over the line, while Jonno Lance was put away on a 40m run to the line after NSW’s Test star Ned Hanigan carried the ball loosely into contact and Polota-Nau and Curtis Rona instantly made space for the replacement five-eighth.

But the real celebrations began early in the second half when the Force put the shunt on the renowned NSW pack and sent them hurtling backwards towards their own line. Michael Wells picked up the ball as his pack backpedalled on top of him, but lost the ball in Michael Ruru’s heavy tackle and who should be on hand to spike the ball for a try but….that man Hodgson.

It was his 20th Super Rugby try which gave him a neat century of points for the Force but when the Force were awarded a penalty straight in front of the posts in the final minute, his team-mates simply insisted he take the shot at goal.

Hodgson had to ask Lance for some tips on how to place the ball on the kicking tee but too much had gone so stunningly right for the battle-scarred warrior for him not to put the ball straight between the posts

Player
    vCash
    Poetic result !! For the first time ever we murdered a team.hodgo what a send off !!
    Try kicking us out of the comp now!
    Bill puller, come clean, accept you won't pursue the legal case, everyone will understand.
    So proud to be there 90 minutes after the game waiting for hodgo as well as the rest of the players
    No other club can match that support
    Go the Blue Believers

vCash
    It all makes it that much harder for the tools at the ARU to shaft us - Twiggy's intervention should get some good media coverage, adding momentum for him to help us and pushing the ARU further into the ridiculous corner they have created for themselves, nothing more than they deserve.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Love your post on gagr Andrew, offering to sell the Tahs supporters Force stickers
    Nice one
    I was offering them for free to Tahs supporters as they were leaving the game!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'll admit I did have a tear in my eye with the fairytale finish for Hodgo

Or maybe it was rain....

Might be a bit rough on the flight back tomorrow but so worth it.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast