Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force V Waratahs Saturday 15th July 5.45pm

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    He is captain too.

Nice letter from Hodgo in the email I just read.

"Dear Sea of Blue,

As I pull on my boots for the final time playing for our Road Safety Western Force, it is impossible not to get emotional reflecting on the journey we have taken together.

I was 24 years young when I packed up my few possessions to embrace the opportunity to be an inaugural member of the Western Force. In many ways, it was poetic that I was the last man offered a contract at the club by coach John Mitchell. I was being told by people in the know that I didn't have what it took to be a Super Rugby player. I was either going to accept that as truth and turn my back on the game I loved; or move to the other side of the country and work hard to prove them all wrong. From my first cap to my 140th, I have never taken the jersey for granted and bled blue for our team.

I'm from a small coastal town in the central coast of NSW, Avoca Beach. Being part of a close community is always where I felt most comfortable. Mateship and reputation is everything and you invest in both every day.

When I moved to Perth I was immediately embraced by my new Force Family. We were forging a new club culture together. Starting new traditions. Carving out our slice of the Perth sporting consciousness. Some of us were big names that I was excited to learn from. Many, like me, were the left overs from the other franchises, trying to prove to the world that we deserved to be Super Rugby players.

What struck me from day one is that not only were the team inner sanctum in this together; but the Sea of Blue were in it with us. They were here loving and fighting for rugby before the team was even awarded. They fought hard for us to exist. They loved us before they even knew our names. That is the unconditional love that the loyal Sea of Blue give to us every single day. It may be intangible but it is undeniable and something that the players and I don't take for granted.

From the first time you pull on your Force kit during your first pre-season you are loved. They don't care who you are, where you have been, who you have played for in the past, whether you have 100 caps or zero caps to your name, the moment you are with the Force, they are with you. You just got adopted into one of the most passionate and loyal rugby families in the world.

The Sea of Blue are there for you through every tackle, maul, pilfer, scrum, try, loss and win. Unique in the sporting landscape they are not fair-weather fans. For loving the Force is a hard slog with often few highs. But when the players are doing it tough on the pitch the fans are strong in the stands making sure that you get up to fight on. They respect the battle and as long as you are fighting for them they will not turn their back. Hearing the Sea of Blue rumble from the stands is the 16th player on the Force Field at every game. On the road you are sure to see the touring Sea of Blue in full colour and voice. Letting you know that you are never alone even in opposition territory. Opposition teams testify to the power that the Sea of Blue hold. As players, we feel it lift us when the body is threatening to falter. Every pilfer, penalty, try and win is sweeter because we are in it togethe

I came to Perth for an amazing opportunity with the Western Force, yet it is the Sea of Blue and my extended Force Family who have created an incredible community that have made it my home. Thank you for adopting me and making it an easy decision to stay a one club man for 12 seasons.

I hope that I have honoured the opportunity I was given in the way I have played for you. Thanks to you I got to live my rugby dream and it has been the greatest privilege to represent you and the great state of Western Australia. I was given the opportunity to captain our Western Force and the Wallabies, which was far more than this man ever thought was possible. Thank you for being there for me and the Road Safety Western Force for every step. May we be in this together for decades to come. "

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by blueandblack; 13-07-17 at 15:19.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    That brought a tear to the eye!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks Hodgo... My face is leaking.. and we do appreciate all you have done and bled for us. We are the Sea of Blue from beginning to the end whenever that will be, and you will always be one of our greatest ambassadors. I feel it a very great privilege to have known you, supported you, cried with you and laughed with you. Saturday will be a sad day, but never the less the Awards Night is looming and may I get drunk with you too..

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Who else is going to the captains run tomorrow?
    I WISH!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Fantastic letter that. 2006 does not seem that long ago even though the journey has seemed a hard one at times. Just very glad you are staying around Matt.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hodgo, I know you promised it to Mitch but as part of the Sea of Blue, you've never let us down.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Thanks trying it online on my phone but nothing is coming up. I will give them a call.
    Contact memberships and ask for The yanky girl can't remember her name and she will get yo seats togther if she can

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I WISH!!!
    Jo You look very pale .. Is that a fever that you are coming down with ?? Your temperature is high..

Gives Jo Page 2 days leave she is unfit for work on Friday the 14/7/17 and Monday 17/7/17 due to illness and she should not be
    around other staff.. Thanks Dr Western force

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Contact memberships and ask for The yanky girl can't remember her name and she will get yo seats togther if she can
    No I am going just wanted to see who else would be in attendance. Sorry jo not trying to run it in.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Hodgson Returns for Last Hurrah

By Fraser Smith on Thu 13th July 17

Club legend and retiring great Matt Hodgson will start in his famous No.7 jersey against the Waratahs in his final appearance for the Road Safety Western Force at the Force Field (nib Stadium) at 5:45PM on Saturday, 15 July.

Hanging up his boots at the end of the season, Hodgson will earn his 140th Super Rugby cap for the Western Australian club having earned his first in the club’s inaugural match against the Brumbies back in 2006.

In further changes to the side, Tetera Faulkner comes into the starting XV at tighthead prop while Marcel Brache will start on the wing having returned from international duties with the USA Eagles.

In the reserves, Anaru Rangi and Shambeckler Vui come into the 23 while scrumhalf Ian Prior is in line to earn his 50th cap for the Road Safety Western Force when he enters the fray.

Coach Dave Wessels says the team is determined to finish the season strong and send Hodgson out on a winning note.

“Saturday’s game will be special for both ‘Hodgo’ and the club. He’s given everything to the cause over a long career and we hope the Sea of Blue will help us give him the send-off he deserves.”

The Road Safety Western Force will kick off against the Waratahs in the club’s final match of the 2017 Super Rugby season at 5:45PM AWST on Saturday, 15 July.

Click here to get your tickets and be part of the Sea of Blue!

Road Safety Western Force v Waratahs
    1.Pek Cowan
    2.Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3.Tetera Faulkner
    4.Matt Philip
    5.Adam Coleman
    6.Ross Haylett-Petty
    7.Matt Hodgson
    8.Isi Naisarani
    9.Michael Ruru
    10.Peter Grant
    11.Alex Newsome
    12.Bill Meakes
    13.Curtis Rona
    14.Marcel Brache
    15.Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
    16. Anaru Rangi
    17. Francois van Wyk
    18. Shambeckler Vui
    19. Lewis Carmichael
    20. Richard Hardwick
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Jono Lance
    23. James Verity-Amm

Road Safety Western Force v Waratahs
    Saturday, 15 July. Kick off 5:45PM AWST
    Force Field (nib Stadium)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...ns-last-hurrah
    Is Chance out injured?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Who else is going to the captains run tomorrow?
    Yes, I'm going. Looking forward to it 😊

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Is Chance out injured?
    Chance got 3 weeks for the yellow card he received last week

Player
    vCash
    Minimum sanction for being stupid.

vCash

Ian Prior happy to share milestone moment with retiring champion Matt Hodgson

Nick Taylor Friday, 14 July 2017 12:00AM

Scrum-half Ian Prior’s 50th Western Force appearance has almost been lost in the emotion surrounding Matt Hodgson’s final game tomorrow night. But Prior would not want to share the moment with anyone else when he runs on to nib Stadium to face the Waratahs.

“It will be a special time, something I’m very proud of, and what better player to be sharing it with than Hodgo. He means so much to the club and us as players,” Prior said. “I’ve worked hard for this and I’m extremely proud, not just for me but for my family. It’s something I won’t forget.”

Prior, who played 34 times for the Reds and Brumbies before moving to the Force in 2014, said the week had been emotional with the club under threat from the Australian Rugby Union axe.

“Everyone has been open about how they are feeling because nobody knows if this could be our last game,” Prior said. “Nobody has been in this position before, it’s a unique position, but everybody is looking on the positive side, that we will be here next year. “Once you get to training or into game mode, you put all that to the back of your mind.”

Hodgson has recovered from a calf injury to captain the team in his No.7 jumper for the last time. In other changes tighthead prop Tetera Faulkner comes into the starting side with Marcel Brache, back from international duties with the USA Eagles, on the wing. Prior will start from the reserves with front-rowers Anaru Rangi and Shambeckler Vui also coming on to the bench.

The Waratahs have made one change to their starting line-up with powerful winger Taqele Naiyaravoro returning on the right wing. He replaces Bryce Hegarty, who strained a hamstring against the Jaguares last weekend. Wallabies scrum-half Nick Phipps has overcome an ankle injury that has kept him out since May and comes into the reserves. Phipps is joined on the bench by versatile back line player Mack Mason, prop David Lolohea, who replaces the injured Paddy Ryan, and Australian under-20 second-rower Ryan McCauley who could make his Waratahs debut.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Congrats Ian

..with powerful winger Taqele Naiyaravoro returning on the right wing..

Last week we got caught short on the flanks - we need to be tighter out wide on Saturday

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Some well placed kicks to turn Taqele around especially when izzy comes up into the line.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast